PDA

View Full Version : Oil Sender Unit Replacement

Redteg
01-06-2004, 02:07 PM
I have a small oil leak, I think it's the Oil Sender Unit on the back of the B18a's block, next to the oil filter.

Has anyone ever changed this themselves? Was it hard? From what I can see, there's a rubebr boot over it, so I'm assuming you pull that off and then its a simple swap.

Weq
01-06-2004, 02:17 PM
yeah i had to remove the sending unit on mine to plumb in a oil feed for the turbo.

its a total bitch mind u, very little space and that sending unit is a tight bugger.. if its just leaking from the screw in fitting, id just just remove the unit(it screws into the block) and apply some thread lock or teflon tape and then srcew her back in. if its the unit itself, i spose u need to replace it. You have to solder the new unit onto the existing wire i spose cause im pressure sure its built into the unit (not a removeable plug).

And yes, its a black boot u'll prolly end up ripping it like i did, cause its a bugger to get off! No probs though, just keeps the dust away.

Redteg
01-06-2004, 02:20 PM
Thaks Weq, it's the unit itself which is leaking.

Crap! It looked like a bit of a tight squeeze back there, maybe this is a perfect time to go suss out Hanny's.

Weq
01-06-2004, 02:28 PM
If u want to do it, go out and grab the proper spanner. i used a large ajustable spanner (as its like a 19-21) and it was a barstard. Talk about 1/5th turn on each try, with about 100+ turns all up.. lol.. that was a fun night..

majic777
01-06-2004, 11:09 PM
using a heatgun to soften the plastic boot on the sender makes taking it off a lot easier! and they do just have a plug on the wire that comes off.

and if you think changing the oil sender on these engines is hard..... try changing the thermofan switch just above it! its conveneintly located with Zero access... :)