PDA

View Full Version : 04 CIVIC headlight problem, keeps blowing globes HELP!?!

bkn_computers
23-11-2006, 01:28 AM
Hi guys,

as some of you know a while ago i had headlight problems on my new 04 civic. the factory bulbs run fine but as soon as any other globe is put in it blows. i.e. phillips, mtec, etc. white globes.

because of that problem i turned back to stock globes for a short time. now after installing a HID kit, the problem has come back AGAIN.

instead of blowing the HID just cuts out, and i turn off the headlight for a while and turn it on and it works fine again.

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THIS CARS HEADLIGHT SYSTEM??!!?

an auto elec told me it just wasnt designed for other globes. i find that hard to believe. something about temperatures and globes blowing =\

which doesnt sound logical coz now my HIDs are playing up.

thanks in advance for the help

cheers

EuroDude
23-11-2006, 08:27 AM
Na it sounds like there is a problem somewhere.

Possibilities I can think of are:

* Bad earthing, make sure the earth wire is properly fastened, trace the wire back and remove the earth contact and clean the bolt/washer/connector by scraping it with a knife. The earth wire may have corroded/oxidized inside due to water entry or something so maybe you need to replace the wire.

* The bulb connector may have shorted and burnt the plastic inside, disassemble and check the connector. My Civics bulb connector used to have a bad contact and the headlight would cut out intermittently, despite looking ok. So you may need to replace the connector.

* Fuse was replaced with a higher rating than standard. Check that the fuse rating is correct. If the fuse rating is too high, it can damage the wires/connector/bulb before the fuse blows.

* Water entry is shorting the bulb, look for signs of water, and replace the rubber seals behind the bulbs.

bkn_computers
23-11-2006, 03:00 PM
would it help if i said my mates civic has the same headlight problem? because to me it seems more like a factory fault....

EuroDude
23-11-2006, 04:11 PM
Its possible. Whats the wattage of the stock bulbs and the aftermarket bulbs?

Maybe the wattage is too high?

bkn_computers
23-11-2006, 06:19 PM
doesnt make sense when the HID are lower wattage

destrukshn
23-11-2006, 06:24 PM
not quite a low wattage, on power up, it takes more power.

bkn_computers
23-11-2006, 08:02 PM
im hoping some 04 and above civic owners can reply to this thread.
im really stuck here, not even auto elecs know the problem exactly...

DR HONDA
27-11-2006, 08:04 PM
Go to your honda dealer if under warranty and replace the headlamp switch.

Regards,

DR :honda:

bkn_computers
30-11-2006, 05:34 PM
what is the headlamp switch specifically? is it responsible for the problem?

honda said it was my fault for touching the globes, the thing is the factory globes have NEVER BLOWN but the white ones always blow continuously. now the HIDS that are in, the left one keeps cutting out. its annoying the shit out of me.

honda are a bunch of arrogant pricks and dont listen to you because they know everything apparently....

EuroDude
30-11-2006, 06:19 PM
umm you are avoiding touching the globes with your fingers right?

Even a small Fingerprint mark (grease) can cause the globe to overheat.
At least use a tissue to handle it if you need to hold the globe on the glass.

The stock globes are usually low (average) wattage so they may not be overheating as much.

Did you replace the rubber headlight seal yet?

bkn_computers
01-12-2006, 02:30 PM
no i havent.

why?