PDA

View Full Version : '99-'00 Civic

gv11
23-11-2006, 11:36 AM
Hi everyone

I'm new to this forum, am in the market for a '99-'00 Civic (auto transmission) and thought I'd do some reading up. Discovered this site in the process and have enjoyed reading around it in the past few days

Sorry if threads already exist on this (I couldnt find one) but what are people's general opinions on this model Civic? Are there any known/common problems? How do they run in general?

Appreciate any advice.

Zdster
23-11-2006, 12:19 PM
The 99-00 is considered to be a 'facelifted' version of the 96-98 civic, all which are known in the hatchback version to be called 'EK's. Really, other than external changes to bumpers and the like, there is really not a huge difference (at least that I know of) between the two versions.

Try running some searches on the forum and you will see that there are lots of posts about differences between models, performance of the cars (generally these dont tend to be 'quick' cars, but pretty economical) and issues etc.

BLKek
23-11-2006, 07:11 PM
I've got an '00 CXi auto hatch (49,000).

Trouble free motoring thus far. Things to note that I can think of right now are:

- Auto + spirited driving around corners can be a handfull as gears hook up.
- About 400-450kms to a tank mostly around suburb driving.
- Genuine Honda oil seems to be pretty darn good.
- sometimes selects down a gear when you don't really want it to.
- I don't like the gear selector lock when the ignition is off, pain in the but to find something to push the unlock button when you don't have a long skinny thing (to push your car around the garage)

pchio
24-11-2006, 03:17 AM
99-00 civics comes in 3 shapes
hatch back, 2 door coupe and sedan
for an auto you would want to look for a cxi or a gli
more than likely it would have to be a hatch or sedan as the coupes are mostly vtir which is a manual, although the coupe did come in a gli form but are hard as hell to find.
cxi is the base model, gli the next one up then top of the range is the vtir
im not sure about the difference between the cxi and gli
most possibly its power options, brakes and a tacho meter. anyone confirm???
they are great economical cars but if you are looking for a little more power then go for the vtir but as i said ealier they only come in manual.
hope that helps :)

blazin206
24-11-2006, 09:49 AM
Hey I saw a white 99-00 civic coupe Gli auto for sale last week not sure if it iss. Going for around 15k
Im currently at work but when I get home I will post ya link.

simbadda54
24-11-2006, 10:59 AM
Dont forget the vti coupe and sedan. Same as a gli but with vtec

pchio
24-11-2006, 12:10 PM
Dont forget the vti coupe and sedan. Same as a gli but with vtec

vti coupe was a prefaced model (96-98)
but i forgot about the vti sedan :thumbsup:

TypeRice
24-11-2006, 04:49 PM
they released a 99 civic cxi special indy edition with a rear mid spoiler.

nugget666
24-11-2006, 06:54 PM
I have a 99 model ek sedan.

The only things i cant name that are annoying are.

Rattling dash, and rear parcel shelf ( from bass obviously)

Thats all the annoyuing parts I can think of really.

The only problems ive had with the car are..

rear window scratches when going up and down.
i had to oil the hell out of my shifter as it was squeeking.
had a squeaky clutch ( easy fix)

There a fairly zippy little car for what it is. its no race car but its still a fun car to drive. going from a xf fairmont 4.1 carby 6cyl I reckon my car would easy keep up with it to about 80kms where the ford would pull away.

I get anywhere from 400 - 520kms to a tnak dependend on where I fill up and how i drive. I have started using 98ron and notice a huge diffrence. My car is manual

I drive a Gli, I picked it up for 13,000 with 42,000kms on it from a DEALER!

well worth geting.

mrwillz
29-11-2006, 07:12 PM
99-00 civics comes in 3 shapes
hatch back, 2 door coupe and sedan
although the coupe did come in a gli form but are hard as hell to find.

hope that helps :)

my friend has a gli coupe
n i saw another other day
both silver 99-00

marlin
30-11-2006, 01:21 AM
hi there i got a 99 civic vtec and damn are they hard to get hold of in cape town in good condition.
in south africa expect to pay about R100.000 rand(dunno what that is in ur country ) and that is for an "ok" one.

Fr3aKi3
30-11-2006, 02:47 PM
I've got a 99 sedan (auto, GLi), had it for about 5-7months now. Cost me 11 500, with 55000kms and now it's sitting on 65000kms.... lol Hasn't put a foot wrong other than the previous owner using 60 profile tyres, they're bloody fat and ugly. Being a 1.6 and SOHC, it's obviously not going to be all that powerful or torquy but it's zippy enough and some fun can be had throwing it around corners (does suffer from body roll though).

One thing which did annoy me though was how the front speakers are mounted and the size. If you're not going to be replacing the speakers then this wont really matter all that much.