PDA

View Full Version : Tacho + Signal Converter?

TypeRice
23-11-2006, 01:45 PM
hey guys,

does putting a tacho in a cxi civic need a signal converter?

i was at the shops today and they said i may need one...

also does anyone have a wiring diagram for the a ek civic cxi ?

thanks =)

destrukshn
23-11-2006, 01:48 PM
no?
never heard of one?

JasonGilholme
23-11-2006, 01:49 PM
What tacho did you buy??

normall they have a built in signal convertor to accommodate for different pulse ignitions.

destrukshn
23-11-2006, 01:52 PM
yeah, don't they usually come built in?

TypeRice
23-11-2006, 02:18 PM
i bought the 5" DRiFT IGNITE Series tacho from Autobarn

JasonGilholme
23-11-2006, 02:20 PM
On the install notes does it tell you how to "calibrate" the tacho?

I recently bought an Autometer one which i had to "calibrate" by cuttin some wires which set it up for different pulse ignitions.

Basically by cutting the wires i changed how the tacho converted the signal that the car was sending it.

TypeRice
23-11-2006, 02:23 PM
NOPe none at all .. it just tells you where to connect each of its 4 wires.

e240
23-11-2006, 02:23 PM
I just bought a Jaycar DIY digital tacho and its reaaaaallllyyyy cool!!!

JasonGilholme
23-11-2006, 02:28 PM
Is there any thing on the body of the tacho like a switch or anything??

it might automatically detect it but i doubt it.

Just plug it in and see if it works.

Who told you that you needed a signal convertor?

TypeRice
23-11-2006, 03:17 PM
da guy at da shops man, he was calling up the autoelectrician who would be installing it for me.. and they asked me if there is already a tacho in my car or not.. and i said no.. and he said i might need a signal converter.. and he wasnt sure... but that signal converter costs an extra $100 .. ><

the only switch on the tacho is the 4 6 8 thing which u choose depending on how many cylinders your car is...

JasonGilholme
23-11-2006, 03:24 PM
Thats the signal convertor right there :D:D:D

Theres a DIY install on OH somewhere which tells you where to get the signal from. Even in a car that doesn't have a tacho on the dash there is still a signal going to the cluster ;)

destrukshn
23-11-2006, 04:13 PM
you don't need one man.
you have the signal wire already, you just don't have the tachometer.

blueintegraboy
23-11-2006, 07:17 PM
Installing one is easy, 4 wires (signal, power, illumination, and ground)

TypeRice
24-11-2006, 12:41 AM
Thats the signal convertor right there :D:D:D

Theres a DIY install on OH somewhere which tells you where to get the signal from. Even in a car that doesn't have a tacho on the dash there is still a signal going to the cluster ;)

man all tacho;s that i have seen have that 4 6 8 cylinder selector...
so your saying that is the signal convertor???

surely the autoelectrician would of known that.. now im worried that the autoelectrician is a noob..

crap

muhhan
25-11-2006, 12:23 PM
Noooo...don't get someone else to install it. Use this DIY http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47243 :p

A.G.System
25-11-2006, 01:49 PM
Even without that thread its not exactly hard to install a tacho.

If you dont trust the sparky to do it then ask around on here im sure there is someone local that would be willing to help you out.

hardest part is mounting the tach to the dash itself so it doesn't get in the way or look too gaudy so it gives the cops something to pull you over for.

Don't laugh I've seen it happen.

JasonGilholme
27-11-2006, 12:17 PM
I'm sure someone knowledgeable on OH will be able to install it for you for cheap. If not theres always the DIY's you can follow.

My autometer tacho had some wires that needed to be cut to set the tacho up. Some do have a switch like yours does tho. ALL tacho's SHOULD have some method of converting the signal to suit the car.