PDA

View Full Version : Exhuast Note

EK4R
24-11-2006, 03:24 AM
hey guys.

i been driving my car and theres this metal vibration note at around 2.8 to 3k rpm. its irrelavant to how much i floor it, when i hit the mark, the sound will start and dissappear after that.

i know that some exhuast makes certain noises at certain rpm. i just want to know what is causing this metal vibration sound? is it my header, cat, pipe, muffler?

i wanna get rid of it and after a deep note.

cheers

NeRV
24-11-2006, 07:16 AM
i dont know if its the same as mine, but back then with my old exhaust when i hit 2k rpm it would rattle and sound like shit, but once over or under that 2k mark it doesnt make a noise... it was apparently a cracked muffler, so i got rid of the muffler and all is back to normal.

weeman
24-11-2006, 07:41 AM
my exhuast makes the plastic panels in my boot rattle sometimes at about that rpm, maybe its just the frequency of the sound coming from the exhaust causing something to rattle, just like a sub makes things rattle. just check for anything that is loose, its worth a try

Int3gra-T
24-11-2006, 08:26 AM
yar the rubber usually between the exhaust holder n stuff sometimes come loose on my car and sounds really bad.
so yeah, check for anything loose, if its a hole in your exhaust ull hear a real hollow noise.

EK4R
24-11-2006, 09:47 AM
i dont know if its the same as mine, but back then with my old exhaust when i hit 2k rpm it would rattle and sound like shit, but once over or under that 2k mark it doesnt make a noise... it was apparently a cracked muffler, so i got rid of the muffler and all is back to normal.

yea man mine sounds pretty much like that. so my bet is that the noise should be coming from my muffler?

how do i check for leaks?

CRXer
24-11-2006, 09:52 AM
check all your exhaust hangers are still hooked up.
i had a prob recently where one of my hangers kept coming off (dodgy exhaust) & it kept fallin onto the rear lca & would just be enough to give me a low rpm rattle.

also had another issue with my new larger exhaust being now too close to the rear heatshield & when everything heated up,it would rattle again at low rpms,just bent it up a little & fixed.

another thing ive heard a few times is DC2's sometimes develop a 2-3000rpm rattle in the A piping just before the cat flange.
Apparently some of the insulation between the inner & outer piping eventually breaks away causing the pipes to rattle against each other.A fix is to remove the cat & tack the 2 pipes together at the flange.

Limbo
24-11-2006, 10:26 AM
Is it a stock exhaust?
Generally if so its the heat shields touching somewhere

OR

If its an aftermarket exhaust usually its resonance from the exhaust. How many reasonators do you have on the car? Is it stainless steel?
Usually reasonators will help stop this or wrapping headers can also help

EuroAccord13
24-11-2006, 10:58 AM
Loose bolt or a part of the cat has been dislodged off it's weld which only vibrates the part at certain RPM due to resonance..

EK4R
24-11-2006, 11:07 AM
Loose bolt or a part of the cat has been dislodged off it's weld which only vibrates the part at certain RPM due to resonance..

what do you mean by disloged?

oh and yea its an aftermarket xhust

EGB18CT
24-11-2006, 11:26 AM
i get buzzing resonance when i hit about 4000rpm, i removed my heat shield which stopped the lod buzz i had cos it was hitting it, i run no resonator so it wont sound to deep up high but very deep down low... it is a very loud exhaust i used to get headaches, but used to it now and bumper has started to come lose.

I believe ur buzz could be hitting a heat shield or dead cat/resonator/muffler filling. check that and if it not that then its pretty normal.

EK4R
24-11-2006, 11:29 AM
umm wat heat shield... if your talkin bout the one above the cat then i removed that already.

CRXer
24-11-2006, 12:15 PM
dunno bout EK's,but my problem heat shield was running along the front of the fuel tank.

i-vtec
24-11-2006, 12:28 PM
hey guys.

i been driving my car and theres this metal vibration note at around 2.8 to 3k rpm. its irrelavant to how much i floor it, when i hit the mark, the sound will start and dissappear after that.

i know that some exhuast makes certain noises at certain rpm. i just want to know what is causing this metal vibration sound? is it my header, cat, pipe, muffler?

i wanna get rid of it and after a deep note.

cheers

i had the same thing happen but different car, and it was an aftermarket exhaust ... it turned out to be the exhaust on the car n they ordered another in for me. it rattled at 2300rpm for me tho ... n on neutral if i jus rev it to just abt 2300rpm i would hear it also.

EuroAccord13
25-11-2006, 04:32 PM
what do you mean by disloged?

oh and yea its an aftermarket xhust

Sometimes, weld joints suffer too much stress and cracks under pressure or tension.:)

NeRV
26-11-2006, 09:19 AM
Sometimes, weld joints suffer too much stress and cracks under pressure or tension.:)

thats what happened to mine, it cracked the shit all along the backwall of the exhaust which caused to to rattle and fart at a certain rpm, but its easily fixed as i gave the muffler to my friend who got it all re-welded and it sounds better then when i had it lol.