PDA

View Full Version : Shift knob for the euro

leungie
01-06-2004, 08:09 PM
Guys,

Was wiondering what's the correct "size" gear knob for the euro, do hondas all use the same size??

A'PEXi
01-06-2004, 10:01 PM
most honda knobs are universal (screw on)... should be the same for euro i guess?

tanghy
02-06-2004, 08:39 PM
what are you going to buy?

EuroAccord13
03-06-2004, 04:21 AM
I got a RAZO gearknob and I went to the dealer to ask them to fix it on for me, they told me the Euro's shifter is a complete unit from the knob to the stem and they said they can't change just the knob :(....

Anyone care to prove them wrong?

CHEERS
Nick

h22a accord
03-06-2004, 08:32 AM
why dont you have a go at fitting it yourself, start unscrewing things :P

EuroAccord13
04-06-2004, 01:54 AM

I happened to have the gearknob with me when I took it in to change the OEM gearknob which was damaged during transit to Australia, so I thought since they are changing the whole thing, might as well ask them to do it for me :)

CHEERS
Nick

P.S : I'm better at dismantling external parts than interior parts.. don't wanna spoil such a sexy interior :P :P

h22a accord
04-06-2004, 08:51 AM

I happened to have the gearknob with me when I took it in to change the OEM gearknob which was damaged during transit to Australia, so I thought since they are changing the whole thing, might as well ask them to do it for me :)

CHEERS
Nick

P.S : I'm better at dismantling external parts than interior parts.. don't wanna spoil such a sexy interior :P :P

no worries, I still reckon it will fit but i bet they that just cant be bothered fitting anything other than the OEM gearknob and they said it wouldnt fit as an excuse not to do it. Im sure if you payed them money they would do it, but this is a warranty issue, why didnt they just say that to you.

jolt
09-06-2004, 02:58 PM
recently saw a Euro in a car audio mag which was auto and had changed to a manual looking gearknob, anybody know how this is achieved??

thanks
Rod

tanghy
09-06-2004, 03:03 PM
screw it off then screw new one on
they are a screw type knob

jolt
09-06-2004, 03:09 PM
even the auto is a screw type?? what about the push button on the side??

Rod

leungie
16-06-2004, 01:42 PM
I'm thinking about getting the Spoon titanium gear knob but i need the dimensions of "screw" size for the euro.

So noone's changed their gear knob?? Cant be fixed (unchangeble...) could it??

trigger
17-06-2004, 12:30 AM
even the auto is a screw type?? what about the push button on the side??

I'd like to know more about changing an auto too

morgz84
02-08-2004, 01:21 AM
Does anyone know how to change the shift knob on a 90 accord? The knob has a square base and the top of the gear stick is square. Any ideas?

B|ade
02-08-2004, 05:05 PM
Yo man

On the 4th gens, the boot (leather part of the shifter) is connected directly to the knob itself. Simply pull down (gently) on the leather and it will come apart from the knob. Then just screw it off and screw a new one on. The only shit thing is that with the aftermarket knob on, the leather doesn't integrate nicely, but I'm just gonna get a new one made up!

As for the Euros, I recently bought a Momo gearknob and they're basically all universal (i'd say this is the same between all models), so therefore you don't really need to know the dimensions cause they're made to fit universally!

trigger
03-08-2004, 09:31 AM
As for the Euros, I recently bought a Momo gearknob and they're basically all universal (i'd say this is the same between all models), so therefore you don't really need to know the dimensions cause they're made to fit universally!

I suppose you're referring to the MT knob right :?:

So no one has fitted any aftermarket knob for an AT :roll:

sleeptec
13-09-2004, 03:48 PM
i dont have a euro, i just have an accord exi

i too would like to know how we can replace the oem auto shift knob with something else taking into account that i have a sports mode button on my knob. <-- lol that sounds funny

but seriously would we just be sacrificing sports mode? or is there specific custom shift knobs with a sports mode button? or is it just not possible to put on a different shift knob on an auto accord?

aaronng
14-10-2004, 01:15 PM
Yo man

Does the leather boot still clip onto the Momo gear knob like in the original knob?

Sulley
11-03-2005, 03:25 PM
Its my first post!
anyway i'm looking to get a Momo auto shift knob.
but would like to know if it can be fitted on first and if so, how do u take out the original gear knob and fit on the new one?

tanghy
11-03-2005, 04:05 PM
most momo are universal with the 3 allen keys to hold them in
not very robust for manual driving but should hold up to auto use
better if u get a screw in type knob

Pum[Z]
11-03-2005, 04:14 PM
Get a screw in type knob and u should be fine...

I have a Skunk 2 Type R gearknob on my euro.. It fitted fine.. Changing the gearknob on the manual euro is damn easy.. Just look at baboo's post on removing the gearknob...

For auto euro's i have no clue on how to remove it or have any information...

Pum[Z]
11-03-2005, 04:24 PM
Does the leather boot still clip onto the Momo gear knob like in the original knob?

Only Honda/Acura aftermarket gearknobs can attach to the leather boot still clip..

My gearknob still has that funny white clip still on it...
http://img225.exs.cx/img225/5890/dscf00305sn.jpg

baboo
11-03-2005, 05:26 PM
Pum[Z],

That look a bit odd. you should at least paint it black mate :)

yfin
11-03-2005, 09:44 PM
']Only Honda/Acura aftermarket gearknobs can attach to the leather boot still clip..

My gearknob still has that funny white clip still on it...

Baboo and I have fitted the Acura RSX (DC5) knob - it looks exactly like yours (but black shift pattern).

It came with a few extra pieces to convert the leather boot (new ring, etc) so you don't see the clip. Looks great. You should be able to get these pieces from Honda spares. I don't think it will cost you much - only a few pieces of plastic - as the Aus DC5 boot is tied in the same way. Can post pics if you need them.

update - you are in luck - i found the parts

See this pdf - all you need is the collar, ring, flange nut and plastic tie - that is all. Those pieces would be used on most hondas where the boot is tied in this way. Follow the instructions and your knob will look perfect.

https://hondacuraworld.hostasaurus.com/Merchant2/instructions/rsx/shiftknob.pdf

aaronng
11-03-2005, 10:44 PM
Nice Type R knob! (or is it the S2000 knob?) How much did it cost you? I asked before about the Momo knobs, but I think the Honda full metal knobs look nicer.

Pum[Z]
12-03-2005, 01:40 AM
Thanxxx for the tip Yfin... I'll try and just do that...

Aaronng: Its a Skunk 2 Racing Gearknob for the Type R in America... Its basically the same as the Honda one except its weighted at 400ish grams and the gear colouring is red and is Skunk 2 brand... Costed me US$50 + shipping...

aaronng
12-03-2005, 12:00 PM
']
Aaronng: Its a Skunk 2 Racing Gearknob for the Type R in America... Its basically the same as the Honda one except its weighted at 400ish grams and the gear colouring is red and is Skunk 2 brand... Costed me US$50 + shipping...
Did you buy it off ebay or through a US dealer? I want one too.

integraz
12-03-2005, 07:32 PM
ok to clear up all the questions about the auto euro
ive got a dc5 auto and its screw... amazing aye.. i was jsut playin around wiht it and just tired to turn it and it came off. its the tiptronic.. so its like gated? so u dont need to push the button on the side like most autos
the auto dc5 is practically the saem as the euros, it self has a gated auto trans and therefore is a screw type... ie no need for push button

Pum[Z]
14-03-2005, 05:21 PM
Did you buy it off ebay or through a US dealer? I want one too.

Ebay.com :thumbsup:

The only problem is when its summer and ur car is heated up the gear knob gets heated up as well and its freakn hot sometimes... But its livable...

Sulley
14-03-2005, 07:30 PM
the accord auto gear does have a push button.
anyway i tried to take it off and it comes off pretty easy, just unscrew the 2 screws, detach the gear knob and off it comes, but when my momo comes, i have no idea how its gonna fit on since there isnt the holes to screw the screws in..

yfin
03-04-2006, 01:48 AM
Hmmm - i love this: (http://tsx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?p=556421#post556421)

Would be great to reduce the height of the shifter with my Type R knob. Anyone with these tap and die sets - are they difficult to use? I had never even heard of them.

aaronng
03-04-2006, 02:01 AM
Looks interesting... Hmm, how can you get the thread pitch to be exactly like the existing one on the gear stick? Mine stands a little tall too.

yfin
03-04-2006, 02:14 AM
Looks interesting... Hmm, how can you get the thread pitch to be exactly like the existing one on the gear stick? Mine stands a little tall too.

don't know- i am presuming with that tool you can adjust the pitch to whatever measurement you want. The bonus with this is - reduced height means reduced throw! I just don't know how much thread is left in the DC5R knob I have. Maybe I can't get it as low as the skunk.

The skunk one definately looks like a taller knob than the DC5R (hmm pondering buying the skunk knob--- is heavier too... $45us... hmmm). Peekay - I think you have both knobs - is the skunk much taller?

KUCING
22-04-2006, 06:04 AM
I see in the past many ppl ask about how I change my car from auto transmission to look like manual...so let me give some DIY tips:

To change auto transmission to look like manual in a Euro:
- go get a universal Automatic transmission gear knob: for the manual look I recommend Razo Auto Quick Shift or the Type-R (auto type)
- make a leather shift boot or you may buy pre-made ones at autobarn put it over your shift boot to the bottom

so instead of pushing a button to change gear (when you have to push), you push the gear knob down (so make sure u get this kind of gear knob)

the result like this:
http://autoshow.permaisuri.com/Content/viewimage.asp?AutoID=20040406123208&Filename=37211.jpg

here's the pic of Razo Automatic Trans Quick Shift:
http://www.imotorgear.com/assets/product_images/18050000P026.gif
it's available in silver/black/carbon...I think you can get it at Autobarn or any of your local car mod shop (if they handle razo) or of coz...ebay..

while the type-R i got long time ago from ebay..seems not available anymore now

achia
22-04-2006, 03:29 PM
Took my car for service today and i asked them about the Euro Sport gear knob and it's about AUS160. Is that consider expensive? Saw u guys posted and it's about USD55 + delivery....

driven
22-04-2006, 03:41 PM
i've got a S2000 gearknob up for sale.
its similar to the euro's gear knob in size and shape.
with red words, 6 speed.

got both a new one and used one, drop me a pm if you're interested.

aaronng
22-04-2006, 07:46 PM
Took my car for service today and i asked them about the Euro Sport gear knob and it's about AUS160. Is that consider expensive? Saw u guys posted and it's about USD55 + delivery....
It depends. If the one you want is with the red numbers, it is more difficult to find. The one with black numbers is easy.