PDA

View Full Version : [DIY] Jump Starting Your Car, Easy as ABC!

Bayani
26-11-2006, 06:03 PM
Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

The donor battery has to be the same voltage as the flat battery. So make sure it is! This means no 4x4 charging up your sedan! lol
Make sure that both vehicles are in Neutral/Park
Turn off as many of the lights and electrical components as you can.

And of course, make sure that the ignition switch is OFF!!!.
a) Connect the red coloured jumper lead to the positive (+) terminal of the good battery and the other end of the red jumper lead to the positive (+) terminal of your flat battery.

b) Connect the black coloured jumper lead to the negative (-) terminal of the good battery and the other end of the black jumper lead to a good earthing point (Usually the engine block) of the vehicle of the flat battery.

c) Start the engine of the flat battery car and while the engine is running idle, disconnect the jumper leads in the reverse order of connection.
(Engine Block, Negative of good Battery, postive of dead battery, positive of good battery)

The only thing connecting the two cars must only be your jumping cables.

ECU-MAN
27-11-2006, 11:23 PM
good DIY,

this works well with Hondas. I like to turn the head lights on on the car that is flat once its started, that way you dont risk voltage spike and blowing an ECU when you disconnect the jumper lead.

dont try this DIY on a mitsubishi :)

iket
29-11-2006, 09:35 PM
Whoa!! :eek:
dude if you follow this DIY you'll flatten both cars batteries! :thumbdwn:

what you need to do is start the donor car first then the broken down car.

:thumbsup:

ECU-MAN
29-11-2006, 09:53 PM
Whoa!! :eek:
dude if you follow this DIY you'll flatten both cars batteries! :thumbdwn:

what you need to do is start the donor car first then the broken down car.

:thumbsup:

then you risk fritzing your ECU

not starting the donor car is best

if your stupid enough to crank the flat car until the donor car goes flat, your a dumbass

if the car wont start, continuous cranking isnt going to help.

aaronng
29-11-2006, 10:34 PM
To avoid blowing your ECU, get jumper cables that are ECU safe.

But yeah, as ECU-MAN said, just start the flat car with the donor car off. Starting a car uses less than 5% of the battery's capacity anyway, so you won't have problems starting the donor car unless you are stupid.

Also, connect the -ve on the flat car before connecting the other end to the donor car. It reduces the chances of shocking yourself.

kyle
29-11-2006, 11:02 PM
The donor battery has to be the same voltage as the flat battery. So make sure it is!

Wouldn't that also render that battery flat also :angel: :wave: ?

aaronng
29-11-2006, 11:08 PM
Wouldn't that also render that battery flat also :angel: :wave: ?
No it won't. What you want is for the donor battery to be of a compatible voltage to start the flat car with. Just like how you wouldn't use a 48V battery in your Honda, you must not start the flat 12V-equipped car with a 48V donor car.

kyle
30-11-2006, 06:28 PM
LOL I know that. Hahahaha I thought you would get my joke. A flat battery has Zero voltage. So if the donar battery had the same voltage as the flat one, then it would have zero too! :)

Lol Nevermind. Good DIY anyway :)

- Kyle

Bayani
02-12-2006, 12:48 PM
LOL, Thanks for the feedback :p
Hopefully the New L/P Platers who may not know much about cars will learn from it.

mrwillz
02-12-2006, 02:36 PM
make sure ur pos n negs are correct
made a big mistake last time .. sparks! fireworks!

after hafn ur head out in the sun then ducking under the bonnet didnt look properly.

Bayani
17-12-2006, 10:57 PM
LOL, You know from Experience!

AsH_
09-01-2007, 12:07 PM
im using a generator to charge my flat battery.
im not sure if anyone done this before, but when i put the battery on charge it says its already full...

should i just leave it on charge for a few hours??? or is there a problem?/

aaronng
09-01-2007, 03:16 PM
im using a generator to charge my flat battery.
im not sure if anyone done this before, but when i put the battery on charge it says its already full...

should i just leave it on charge for a few hours??? or is there a problem?/

Sounds like your battery is dead..... You could try the Inox battery conditioner liquid. It does help a little. Or just get a new battery.

AsH_
09-01-2007, 08:19 PM
i also put a battery i bought a yr ago and never used on the generator and it said it was full... put it in my car and nothing...

DjRob
23-01-2007, 11:31 PM
did u check if that battery has water in it? Battery might of dried out and stuffed up the cells inside making it an open curcuit.

Also if you jump start your car you can put the negative to your chasis instead of straight onto the negative on ur battery, gives u less of a chance of stuffing up ur ecu...

mugeneration
24-01-2007, 12:00 AM
Jumper cable pack ;-)

Its great. You spend all the money on getting it, and when you go to use it.... its flat. huzzah!

When charged they are invaluable though.

rnbguy
07-03-2007, 05:15 PM
same thing here i tried recharging my battery by it said it was full in 50minutes, then i pluged it in car and car started but died the next morning again ???

by the way, there was no water in battery when i charged it before i put it into the car i filled water first... should i try charge it again with water in it? or too late cells are bye bye?

Bayani
07-03-2007, 05:51 PM
I'd say WAY too late. :]

Drew
07-03-2007, 05:57 PM
This is how I jump start cars

http://members.sparedollar.com/whataworld2003/700amp-4.JPG

:P

rnbguy
07-03-2007, 07:37 PM
ur right it wont charge
gonna go buy one soon waitin for mate to pick me up

Bayani
07-03-2007, 07:59 PM
What you're going to go to a servo? Why not buy a light-weight off a trader on OH, if you need juice, get a yellow-top :]

Byatch
15-03-2007, 03:03 PM
If I'm not mistaken, won't your generator try to rapid-charge the battery?
I'm no electronics graduate (well, there was electronics in physics, but lets not go there), but i would imagine if the popular idea is to trickle charge a battery, surely this could be part of the problem.

Bayani
10-08-2007, 03:32 AM
It GENERALLY won't matter. The point isn't to CHARGE the battery. Just give it enough to crank the cars' alternator over. It will do the rest.

Yasakani
10-08-2007, 03:07 PM
good DIY,

this works well with Hondas. I like to turn the head lights on on the car that is flat once its started, that way you dont risk voltage spike and blowing an ECU when you disconnect the jumper lead.

dont try this DIY on a mitsubishi :)

Can you tell me why this works well with Hondas, and maybe not so well with other makes?
How would you do it with other makes? because, you might not be able to find a Honda doner for a dead Honda.

Sorry, car noob here. :o

ECU-MAN
10-08-2007, 11:30 PM
because it wont blow your ecu, where as with other cars you will fry PCM's or the ECM ect. very common on magna and delco, bosh systems to burn out a ecu from voltage spike.

when you turn on the head lights before you remove the jumper leads the altenator of the flat car wont spike as much as the load is higher. maybe its an old myth but I havnt fired a honda ecu in 13 years of doing that way.

if it was my car that was the donor car, I wouldnt have my engine running. doesnt hurt to let them crank their car while yours isnt running. just dont let them crank forever.

aaronng
11-08-2007, 12:10 AM
Can you tell me why this works well with Hondas, and maybe not so well with other makes?
How would you do it with other makes? because, you might not be able to find a Honda doner for a dead Honda.

Sorry, car noob here. :o

It also fries the ECU on the older Saabs.

pieee
24-02-2010, 12:56 AM
Hey guys this is a URL from my brothers website with a funny way of jump starting :P

http://chicaneculture.com/2009/12/30/how-to-jump-start-car-without-cables-or-clutch/