PDA

View Full Version : Living with a Integra DC5R.

evilslug
26-11-2006, 09:40 PM
Hi guys,

Right now im looking to buy a DC5R and was wondering if you guys could give me an idea of what it will be like living with one in terms of:

comfort - seating, ease of shift, getting in and out of the car
handling - i've heard its great?
performance - how does it go? how responsive is it?
noise levels in cabin - the dc2r is a bit loud, hows the dc5r ?
modifications - are modifications cheap and easy to do? i've heard that it is tuned pretty good out of the factory
problems - if any?

any information regarding this would be great!

Thanks.

stoodamire
27-11-2006, 01:44 AM
from what i know...limited though

Comfort - Recaro's give you a big hug, great gearbox and even better knob, getting in and out is a bitch though, because you want to keep those Recaro's in beaut condition.

Handling - It's a Type R, what are they known for, though if you got the JDM model you'd get Brembo brakes, stupid AUDM model.

Performance - Will be a downgrade from your S15 i take it, but still got enough balls to keep up i suppose.

Noise Levels in cabin - They have improved slightly on the DC2.

Modification - There is a much more tuning potential for the K20A compared to the B18C.

Problems - Not that i really know of...Just that we got the Type S from Japan and got rebadged into a Type R...

Hope that helps!

jdmlvn
27-11-2006, 04:34 AM
Hi guys,

Right now im looking to buy a DC5R and was wondering if you guys could give me an idea of what it will be like living with one in terms of:

comfort - seating, ease of shift, getting in and out of the car
handling - i've heard its great?
performance - how does it go? how responsive is it?
noise levels in cabin - the dc2r is a bit loud, hows the dc5r ?
modifications - are modifications cheap and easy to do? i've heard that it is tuned pretty good out of the factory
problems - if any?

any information regarding this would be great!

Thanks.

from what i know...limited though

Comfort - Recaro's give you a big hug, great gearbox and even better knob, getting in and out is a bitch though, because you want to keep those Recaro's in beaut condition.

Handling - It's a Type R, what are they known for, though if you got the JDM model you'd get Brembo brakes, stupid AUDM model.

Performance - Will be a downgrade from your S15 i take it, but still got enough balls to keep up i suppose.

Noise Levels in cabin - They have improved slightly on the DC2.

Modification - There is a much more tuning potential for the K20A compared to the B18C.

Problems - Not that i really know of...Just that we got the Type S from Japan and got rebadged into a Type R...

Hope that helps!

i wouldnt call it a downgrade.
stock dc5r and s15 hav the same power output.
Dont listen to the dc5 haters that say a dc2r is faster.
2.0L > 1.8L.

my hai ngan dong

btw, good luck on purchasing your car dude~:)

_CiVIC_
27-11-2006, 08:37 AM
i thought the cabin of my S was really noisy, compared to the Euro LOL!

Hullabaloo
27-11-2006, 12:35 PM
I haven't driven a DC5R but I have driven s15 spec s's and a DC5S.

comfort - I've heard the dc5r ride is harder than the dc5s, but i don't think the s15 is all that rough. stock s15 seats aren't as grippy as DC5R's though. some people who are bigger find the DC5R's seats a bit squeezy.

handling - can't comment too much. but i don't think many people would say that a s15 doesn't handle well.

performance - the s15 will be a bit faster from a standing start in a straight line. it might feel faster for every day driving as it has more torque at a lower rpm compared to the peaky k20 engine. but, in saying that if you know how to drive the DC5 i'm sure you could be quite fast as well. being able to downshift well helps.

noise level in cabin - i find the s15's engine sound a bit rough but the k20 can be quite pierceing at high rpm. I'm not sure if the DC5R has more sound deading compared to the DC5S though so hard for me to compare these.

Modifications - I've heard that you get better value for money on s15 mods than honda mods.

other - petrol consumption will be better in the honda. the integra is also a more practical car with bigger boot and more room for rear passengers.

Speeder
27-11-2006, 07:19 PM
stock dc5r and s15 hav the same power output.]

Honda owners always talk about power output. Let's not forget torque. Honda's never really had torque compared to the turbo boys. Yes the Type R's are fast for what they are, a 4 pot NA, but you can't just talk about power output only when talking about overall engine performance.

Although the S15 will be faster stock for stock, a DC5R is not a slug at all, in fact point to point, I'd say DC5R would be faster. They are very refined over the older DC2Rs too so comfort and safety levels have been improved.

EuroAccord13
27-11-2006, 07:58 PM
I think a test drive will better answer all your queries here....

krogoth
27-11-2006, 08:11 PM
indeed the s15 will have more torque than the DC5R

BUT, that doesnt mean the DC5R doesnt have enuf torque

it has plenty of torque, 191Nm at 4k rpm or something

thats a shitload, dont forget the DC5R will be lighter than the s15, so it makes up the difference

dont let any1 tell u that the DC5R isnt torquey enuf for a daily driver, coz thats horseshit.....i drive a d17 non vtec, ffs, and its easy enuf with its 70Nm of torque

IMO, they are both great cars, the DC5R can be as fast as the s15 in almost all conditions and prob faster on a curvy track

the s15 is prob better for a drag, but the DC5R has excellent handling, excellent is a big understatement

try it out, ull be amazed with the differences between the 2 cars

evilslug
27-11-2006, 09:20 PM
thanks for all the replies guys its been really helpful

but i cant really know for sure how a dc5r will feel like until i do test drive one.

in fact i love both the s15 and dc5r because of both their performance (even thought they differ greatly) and their looks (they are bot HOT HOT looking cars).

any more opinions please tell me :)

RyDC5S
27-11-2006, 10:03 PM
All I can say is - you really need to test drive one.

Having driven your car and the DC5R, they are just apples to oranges.

aaronng
27-11-2006, 11:06 PM
^^ as he said. Go and drive one. You'll just keep asking people of their opinions of the DC5R until someone says something that you wanted to hear.

Hullabaloo
28-11-2006, 12:27 AM
when you test drive just remember that the torque/power comes up high (> ~6k rpm) compared to the s15 where boost gives torque at lower rpm. When a friend was looking at s15's he didn't like the dc2r because he thought it felt slow at 3-5k rpm, he didn't know how to make use of vtec.

Kazaf
28-11-2006, 12:34 AM
Getting in and out is a bitch, especially when you're really short like me having to pull the seat up closer and there arent much leg space from the steering wheel.

air23box
28-11-2006, 03:36 AM
comfort - As other mention.....if you wanna to keep ur recaro in A1 condition...its a bitch but compare to DC2 its a better daily car
handling - stock sussy is great for track work already unless you want sth better....you will be suprise how good those front LSD when you drive on track....can't really compare FR and FF tho....they behave different in so many areas
performance - I reckon its as good as ur 200sx overall.....but will be slower in drag race....which is not what the car built for.....
noise levels in cabin - unless you vtec it day in day out.....its great......
modifications - Depends on what you put on....some give you noticable gain but some just not doing the job....
problems - you will love it.....lol

evilslug
28-11-2006, 08:31 AM
Alright thanks for the advice people.

I'll go test drive some as soon as i can!

Speeder
29-11-2006, 07:07 PM
indeed the s15 will have more torque than the DC5R

BUT, that doesnt mean the DC5R doesnt have enuf torque

it has plenty of torque, 191Nm at 4k rpm or something

If you call 191nm of torque plenty, then you won't know what hit you when you go and drive V8's and 6+cyl turbo's. Seriously I nearly laughed at your comment. And I think DC5R's dont produce their peak torque untill well into the red zone like most DOHC Honda engines.

But yes as I said, DC5R's are fast in its class, especially considering it's NA.

Go drive the DC5R, this forum will somewhat favour the Honda, but it's your money, spend it on something that you prefer, not what others say.

krogoth
29-11-2006, 07:18 PM
If you call 191nm of torque plenty, then you won't know what hit you when you go and drive V8's and 6+cyl turbo's. Seriously I nearly laughed at your comment. And I think DC5R's dont produce their peak torque untill well into the red zone like most DOHC Honda engines.

But yes as I said, DC5R's are fast in its class, especially considering it's NA.

Go drive the DC5R, this forum will somewhat favour the Honda, but it's your money, spend it on something that you prefer, not what others say.

favour the honda?

he just asked how its like to live with a DC5R, so he already favours the honda

he didnt even ask for the teg to be compared to his s15, yet it was

this goes to show just how unbiased and open alot of ppl on this forum are

but of course ther are exceptions such as urself.....

im just sick of the horseshit i keep hearing about type-r not being torquey enuf, FFS, thats bullshit, for a car of its weight and engine displacement, its got heaps of torque

the k20 produces more than enuf torque for the DC5R, IMHO

of course u cant compare its how much torque it produces wen compared to a v8 or an rb25det, ffs, its a fkn 2.0 Na 4cyl, how much torque do u want it to produce?

Speeder
29-11-2006, 07:22 PM
favour the honda?

he just asked how its like to live with a DC5R, so he already favours the honda

he didnt even ask for the teg to be compared to his s15, yet it was

this goes to show just how unbiased and open alot of ppl on this forum are

but of course ther are exceptions such as urself.....

im just sick of the horseshit i keep hearing about type-r not being torquey enuf, FFS, thats bullshit, for a car of its weight and engine displacement, its got heaps of torque

the k20 produces more than enuf torque for the DC5R, IMHO

of course u cant compare its how much torque it produces wen compared to a v8 or an rb25det, ffs, its a fkn 2.0 Na 4cyl, how much torque do u want it to produce?

What is your problem? All I said was that 191nm of torque is not alot. Biased? I own a Honda myself so if anything I'm being unbiased em I not?

air23box
30-11-2006, 01:11 AM
hey....stay cool bros......you both have a point....but if I try to tell you my opinion.....DC5R did make enough torque to get it going.....at least I can use 6th gear going uphill with no problem......hope that helps...

jdmlvn
30-11-2006, 10:11 AM
]

Honda owners always talk about power output. Let's not forget torque. Honda's never really had torque compared to the turbo boys. Yes the Type R's are fast for what they are, a 4 pot NA, but you can't just talk about power output only when talking about overall engine performance.

Although the S15 will be faster stock for stock, a DC5R is not a slug at all, in fact point to point, I'd say DC5R would be faster. They are very refined over the older DC2Rs too so comfort and safety levels have been improved.

i wouldnt say s15 is faster the dc5r stock.
i've witnessed my brother pulling away from a stock s15 in all gears numerious times.

your right about how the dc5r is a refined version of a dc2r :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

JohnnyVtec
30-11-2006, 10:24 AM
IF anybody wanted to talk about or compare v8 or turbo 6 torque this wouldnt be ozhonda!!!!

RyDC5S
30-11-2006, 01:23 PM
evilslug: What colour DC5R are you looking at getting?

evilslug
30-11-2006, 01:24 PM
Black preferably

then white

then red.

but i really do want a black one :)

RyDC5S
30-11-2006, 01:27 PM
I originally wanted a Type R myself but since I was getting older, I wanted more comfort and livability in a vehicle - ended up getting the Type S.

evilslug
30-11-2006, 01:30 PM
Ah ok well the type s interior looks awesome

i've got leather interior in my s15 as well cos its the gt spec

doesnt feel as sporty as recaros tho =\

i really want those recaros!! haha

evilslug
30-11-2006, 01:31 PM
Anyone selling a DC5R in melbourne?

Anyone want to swap with an S15 Spec S GT? Just thought i'd ask...

RyDC5S
30-11-2006, 02:14 PM
A DC2R, I do know of someone selling - she hasn't driven it much. (Black)

DC5R - probably Carsales mate.

Zdster
30-11-2006, 03:40 PM
I am going to close this thread now. If you are looking for a car post in the want to buy section.