PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy HONDA CIVIC after info please :)

SUSPCT
27-11-2006, 09:10 AM
After info on Honda Civic. Im chasing specific info on Honda's them selves, how reliable are they? every one says parts are heaps and expensive to get replaced and serviced, i want to know form a Honda owners point of view if they have had these torubles?

Other questions are im looking at around 1992 Honda Civic and it seems in 1992 they changed from Carby to injection, want to know wht the difference are???

Is the carby that bad at all or are they pretty good????

The good thing i have found is they hold their resale i meen i have seen 1992 Civic with 250,000 -300,000km's on the clock going for 6-8k :ph34r:

The one im thinkning of is a Carby model but has less then 100,000km's on the clock and is under 6k....

whats every one's thoughts???

here is a pic of the shape for those who are unsure:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/cc/images/92civic_lxsedan.jpg

SiReal
27-11-2006, 09:28 AM
civics are great cars, especially the eg civics. Carby vs EFI, its just a different way the air and fuel enter the engine. the EFI engine has more power (GLi - 74kw whilst the Si - 96kw). Carby (crap all kw). But still its good.

I would go for the EFI.

ON XTC
27-11-2006, 12:10 PM
i used to drive a 4door eg civic si back in the days and all i can say is that it is reliable as you can get. my family still has the car at home and its clocked like almost 200xxx km and its still running good. you take good care of the car and you will never have problems with it.

JasonGilholme
27-11-2006, 12:14 PM
I'd recommend the EFI version. Easier to fix.

Also, parts are cheap as man. i just went to the wreckers and picked up half of a braking system off an EG civic ( Proportioning valve, lines, brackets, grommets and everthing) for 30 bucks. how cheaper do you wanna go :P

EuroDude
27-11-2006, 12:23 PM
Yeh forget the carby ones (Breeze, GL). They are considerably underpowered for the weight of the car. If you have two or three adults in the car, its a snail and quite a biatch in traffic.

Get the GLi 1.5L for acceptable performance. you should be able to find a cheap one close to the GL's price.

Or if you want some more power, get the Si 1.6L DOHC or VTi SOHC VTEC, both have very similar power output. Get a Manual Tranny if you want even better performance.

Common issues for the 92-95 EG's are the Distributor, and RHS CV joint boot coming loose and spitting grease all over the wheel. Otherwise they are quite reliable.

Micko
27-11-2006, 12:28 PM
If you are considering one id definatly go EFI instead of carbs

Petronas
27-11-2006, 03:55 PM
Yes the Carby is rubbish... In the EG (Car you are refereing to) the car is a snail...

I have an older model Civic, the ED and in this car the same engine performs quite well because the car is considerably lighter... Well at least I think thats the reason...

Shorty
27-11-2006, 05:24 PM
The good thing i have found is they hold their resale i meen i have seen 1992 Civic with 250,000 -300,000km's on the clock going for 6-8k :ph34r:

Honda's hold their resale like nothing else...mainly just cuz its a Honda! But if you treat a Honda right, you've got it for life.
Any 1992 civic going for 6-8k is a rip off though...I shopped around for my civic for 4 months till I found this one and I picked it up for $8,700--and thats a 1998 Gli with power sunroof.

also on the carby thing-fuel injected has its benifits cuz you dont have to wait around for it to warm up and they are better on petrol. plus...seriously...who runs a carby anymore la? hahaha

If you start getting serious, I know a great dealer that usually has a few honda's in stock, that where I got mine from--Norwest Motors:speak to Michael

AsH_
27-11-2006, 09:10 PM
best cars... hondaz... EG

YaMiKaZe
28-11-2006, 12:01 AM
u found a carby EG with less than 100,000kms?? thats pretty good considering they were one of the earlier models of the EG..but for around 6k u can find a Gl or Gli with close to the same amount of Ks or possibly an si or vti with high kms..i suggest u get a EFI as ive heard carby's waste more petrol too