PDA

View Full Version : Swaybar hook up point and resistance to roll

spetz
27-11-2006, 03:55 PM
I bought a swaybar but this one instead of hooking up to my LCA as the stock one does, it hooks up to the shock body (front suspension)

Does anyone know how this effects the swaybar stiffness?
ie, identical swaybar, one connected to shock body, the other to the LCA, which one is more resistant to roll?

spetz
29-11-2006, 08:03 PM
bumpage

Muzz
29-11-2006, 09:41 PM
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m263/muzz1987/aaaaa.jpg
if the mounting point on the lca was directly below the the mounting point on the shock body (follow the vertical line down through the mount on the shock), the roll resistance would be pretty much exactly the same. This is because these two points would move pretty much the same distance upward when the wheel is compressed (in theory it wouldnt be exactly the same because of the angles (moreso the change in angles as the wheel is compressed) of the lca and shock body, however it would be very close).

However, as you move the mounting point outward from the lca's pivot axis, it will have greater movement for the same movement of the wheel. Therefore, the swaybar will need to twist more for the same amount of movement of the wheel, making the roll resistance stiffer.

So moving the mounting point inward, keeping the swaybar the same stiffness, will provide less roll resistance.

Muzz
29-11-2006, 09:46 PM
If you can show a pic of the oem mount & where ur new swaybar mounts, with the whole lca in the same pic (straight on) id be able to analise it and give u a rough estimate of what the change in stiffness will be (im studying mechanical engineering).

Edit: id also need a measurment of the swaybar arm legnth.