PDA

View Full Version : ran a kerb, anything to worry?

Rice_4_life
28-11-2006, 09:45 PM
hey all not sure if right section, but yeah i ran a kerb at around 25-30km/h anything to worry about? so far a bit of rim damage, tyre is not hurt just a tiny bit of rubber hanging off and part of my front lower lip got bashed up.

before anyone starts saying wtf u doin takin a corner at 30km for i was tailgated by a holden for lik 3 minutes while lookin for a concealed road at night time.

Chi
28-11-2006, 09:53 PM
WTF you doing taking a corner at 30kms for ?!!!

EuroDude
28-11-2006, 10:04 PM
Well you definetely need a full Wheel Balance/Alignment done.

I would also remove the damaged wheel and inspect the suspension to make sure nothing has come loose or gotten damaged. Better yet, get Pedders or someone to check it professionally. You dont want the suspension to fall apart while driving :p

Mr_will
28-11-2006, 10:05 PM
go and get a wheel alignment.

alignment will definately be out. also possible that youve bent control arms or something else there. i hit the gutter at about 50km, wheels facing straight to kerb and bent the fk out of my lower control arm. whoever does your alignment will quickly realise if there are problems, but they most likely wont be able to diagnose the source, theyll just say you have setback issues or something like that

Rice_4_life
28-11-2006, 10:21 PM
fark, suspension looks alrite, dont think it was a big kerb think more lik one of those smooth ones but i didnt check, hope the control arms r alrite i'll chek em tomolo on a hoist. thnx all for ur input

-MuGen PoWer-
29-11-2006, 01:47 PM
try jacking car up and comparing the suspension on your front and left hand side and see if any arms are bent

kn1ghtm4r3
29-11-2006, 02:55 PM
vtec y0 =)
ahaah damn commowhores =9 .

Mr_will
29-11-2006, 03:35 PM
fark, suspension looks alrite, dont think it was a big kerb think more lik one of those smooth ones but i didnt check, hope the control arms r alrite i'll chek em tomolo on a hoist. thnx all for ur input

the problem is it takes a pretty well trained eye to spot small bends.

if you get the wheel alignment first, they will notice if anything has to be moved more than the other side to get the same alignment, and then you will be be able to narrow it down and look at specific parts eg control arm.

if all you have to go on is your eye, it would be a fair bit harder

Rice_4_life
29-11-2006, 03:44 PM
yea, i'll giv a wheel alignment a go is $20-$30 sounding right for one? gettin it at bob jane's hopefully tomolo

EuroDude
29-11-2006, 06:33 PM
Some places offer a "vtec yo kerb hit check" :p For instance Pedders offers a "28 point Steering and Suspension Safety Check".
Link: http://www.pedders.com.au/catalogue.asp?prod=28%20Point

Depending on how hard the car hit the curb, I would get this done for peace of mind..

Rice_4_life
29-11-2006, 07:46 PM
:D im loving myself atm jus removed my front lip with a bit of help for a friendly kerb, yea i'll get an alignment done and hopefully get a new lip, no biggie lip was pretty busted wen i bought the car. Anyone selling a megen lip for an eg?

for tat pedders thing it include a wheel alignment yea? cos i cant remember how hard i hit the kerb i jus felt the aftermath :P

garett
02-12-2006, 09:08 AM
Hope Everything Is Ok.......

EK4R
02-12-2006, 09:38 AM
Some places offer a "vtec yo kerb hit check" :p For instance Pedders offers a "28 point Steering and Suspension Safety Check".
Link: http://www.pedders.com.au/catalogue.asp?prod=28%20Point

Depending on how hard the car hit the curb, I would get this done for peace of mind..

how much is that around?

EuroDude
02-12-2006, 11:39 AM
Google reckons its $14/28

$14 for two wheels, $28 for all fours I guess.

EK4R
02-12-2006, 11:51 AM
yea 14 bux..thats just a inspection. how much would it cost to say fix the alignment anyone know? cos i know mine is off for sure.

bennjamin
02-12-2006, 06:19 PM
alignment = around $30-40 per end.
Just get front n rear done for peace of mind and tyre wear consideration.
You would be surprised how much better a car can feel and perform after a good alignment

schew
03-12-2006, 07:43 AM
alignment = around $30-40 per end.
Just get front n rear done for peace of mind and tyre wear consideration.
You would be surprised how much better a car can feel and perform after a good alignment

Is there a place in Sydney that you recommend?

Do the chain stores like Bob Jane do a good job?

Mr_will
03-12-2006, 01:16 PM
Is there a place in Sydney that you recommend?

Do the chain stores like Bob Jane do a good job?

in my opinion, no. i have had very bad experiences with a chain store like the one you suggested, after hitting the kerb. my setback was out about an inch (the wheel was aligned, but further towards the back of the car than it should be.

after denying that my car even had castor rods (despite the fact that i could point them out), they said that i should take my car to their 'associates' and theyd be able to fix the problem.

turned out to be a bent lower control arm, which i was fortunately able to source from a friend with a half cut.

the problem is, these people just do alignments, they dont know anything about cars or suspension in general, so they might be able to tell you that there is a problem, but have very little chance of helping you find where the problem is