PDA

View Full Version : next mod?

ToFuBoi
02-06-2004, 11:15 AM
after i've done my intake and pod, then cat back and muffler... what is the next mod i should go for? performance wise?..

also what kind of average price am i looking at?..this is for my eg9

or just post up the order you mod'd up your car plz!..

cheers, tofu

Chi
02-06-2004, 11:18 AM
Well mabe some heat shield around your pod would be a good idea.

Is your civc a b16a jap spec one?

Mabe some spoon parts :P

ToFuBoi
02-06-2004, 11:21 AM
yeh ppl have told me it is a jdm model.. but i believe the engine is the typical si twincam one..

ToFuBoi
02-06-2004, 11:21 AM
also what is a heat shield?... where does that go?

cheers, tofu

Kit
02-06-2004, 11:34 AM
usually the first power mods that people do are intake and then a full exhaust system (from extractors to muffler).

Extractors can be expensive though (over $1000 for some jap branded ones).

otherthings you can consider is upgrading your suspension, start by upgrading strut tower bars, stabilizer bars, and then perhaps springs/shocks or coilovers (more money!!!)

p.s. what do you mean by 'intake and pod'?

fueltank
02-06-2004, 11:39 AM
do ECU to tune your car to take advantage of the mods you've done so far :)

ToFuBoi
02-06-2004, 11:43 AM
air pod filter with piping to body.. intake is the piping from bumper up to pod for more cooler air (rather then having the stock one which runs from the tyre up

ToFuBoi
02-06-2004, 11:44 AM
what about cams? how much do they set you back?.. and when should i plan on getting them?... i just want serious power with as few mods as possible...

[[d a n n y]]
02-06-2004, 11:54 AM
cams r going to make a lot of difference to your car..and make alot of power..as well

there's TODA,JUN,OEM CTR CAMS,SPOON, ETC ETC
well if u do get cams...it will set u back around 2-3 g's for the parts brand new..valves springs,ECU and so on..

for more guide on the cams have a look at this thread

http://www.ozhonda.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3797

ToFuBoi
02-06-2004, 12:06 PM
thanks guys!

just wondering with the extractors.. will i get alot of noticable power increase?.. is there any variations in sizes i should look out for?

i havnt got my cat back on yet and so what size should i get my piping done? 2.25? or 2.5?

(i am most probably going to do everything up slowly... i know doing it all at once is probably cheaper but i cant be stuffed waiting)

cheers

Phat_ciVic
02-06-2004, 12:07 PM
do u plan on putting a turbo on it l8er?

[[d a n n y]]
02-06-2004, 12:08 PM
2.25 is gonna have a better affect for your car..

Kit
02-06-2004, 12:31 PM
i just want serious power with as few mods as possible...

sell it and buy a turbo car then :)

Kit
02-06-2004, 12:51 PM
oh and also, if you are going to get a custom made exhaust, I would suggest 2 inch cat back diameter. 2.25in is good, but you will lost some low to mid range tractability

Xenon
02-06-2004, 12:52 PM
umm for NA mods... definitely get the header...will get more increase in hp than the catback zorst and airfilter combo. Get a 2.25 inch system if sticking to simple bolts on...

Lightened flywheel and heavy duty clutch.
After that.. maybe some aftermarket cams PLUS tuning (not cheap)..
:P
Concentrate on upgrading your suspension..will have more effect than getting basic bolt-on mods.. invest in a good aftermarket coilover system.

egSi
02-06-2004, 02:57 PM
cheapest way to go faster is lighten the car, no bakc seats etc. or even a better clucth and a lite weight flywheel

MTX BOY
02-06-2004, 03:31 PM
Or paint it red.

Hey Trav :twisted:

egSi
02-06-2004, 03:34 PM
nah al-foil rims

geo41e
02-06-2004, 04:07 PM
heard inch is goof for overall performce..

however when ur racin..ur always on ya top end..and therefore the 2.25inch will take the upper hand

oh kit...when u say "u will loose abit of mid range with teh 2.25"

what revs will u start to gain on the 2.25 ? jus wondein

Kit
02-06-2004, 05:05 PM
geo, yep 2 inch is better over all, especially if you aren't running extractors.

I know a lot of jap cat backs for b16a civics are 2.25 inch, but if going for locally made custom jobbies, I would stick with 2 inch.

you're right that if you are circuit racing, you really only need to accelerate from a standing start once, but since everyone here drives street cars, tractability is very important, especially since civics only have small torque figures.

about when 2.25 starts getting the upper hand, it all depends... factors such as extractors (and what type of extractors), tuning, even ignition timing all come into effect. but i would say 2.25inch really would only have an advantage at very close to redline.

remember, mugen don't make a cat back for b16a civic, cos they believe the stock B pipe (2 inch press bent) is good enough for 200hp.

I've used both 2inch and 2.25inch cat back systems on my ek4, and response with the 2 inch was better. and with small cars with limited torque like the civic, response is very important.

I ran a set of Dyno Daves custom extractors for a while (with a 2 inch exhaust) and they were great, it really woke the car up, response throughout the rev range was significantly better.

LatinoHatchCrap
02-06-2004, 08:24 PM
2.25" will be enough if you got a b16a.

pgclee
02-06-2004, 10:52 PM
cheapest way to go faster is lighten the car, no bakc seats etc. or even a better clucth and a lite weight flywheel

Hahaha....err...i don't think so...
Lighten the car is the Most expensive modification of all...do you know that?...hahaha...i think you can spend up to 10k just to change some bits to get a 50kg reduction..hahahahaha...

Dude...if you wanna modify your car...you must always think...Wats your budget...if you tell this...i can definately help you to solve your bits dude...hahaha...not to say i know too much...but just know how to spend your money wisely..hahaha./..

pgclee
02-06-2004, 10:56 PM
egSi

no offence....
the reason i say that is...those ultralight weight Titanium Radiator, those Super strong RollCage with super light weight...Titanium Exhaust, Light weight Calipers, what about Dry Carbon CF bonnet?.....alot more...ehh..i think those item i just said always close to 10k...

SIKCVC
02-06-2004, 11:42 PM
hey man, go find out what engine you have first. If it has DOHC VTEC written on it, and theres a cover over the spark plugs you've got yourself a B16a if theres none of that, but the spark plugs are in between 2 large pulges in the cam cover (the cams) and it just say, Honda motor Co. with the H simbol, you've got yourself a D16a if it has a flat top and the spark plugs are at the front of the engine then you've got yourself a d16y... better check this out before you start buying shit for them coz some headers wont fit other engines :shock:

geo41e
02-06-2004, 11:55 PM
l rekon lols..didn't even know what civioc he had..let alone the engine!!

better not say b16...coz l'll cry

ToFuBoi
03-06-2004, 12:32 AM
the engine of mine just has a [H] and doesnt say anything else... ummm spark plugs i remember are on the top..

its the same engine as the typical aussie eg si sedans around... d16a possibly?

and to the other question i dont want to turbo the car just cos of daddy and insurance stuff just in case i crash...

my budget is probably just under a thousand.. dont wana spend too much on mods cause i want to rice it up a lil on the outside..

btw how much is the average extractor to back muffler job? brand new? 2nd hand? so if im getting extractors i should get the 2.5" piping?

cheers all!..

ToFu...

SIKCVC
03-06-2004, 12:42 AM
hey, I had the same engine and I put a 2.25in press bent (anything more is stupid, even at this size its a little largish) a Alloy intake pipe K&N pod (worth the money for the quallity) and the pod was enclosed and sucking air from behind the bar, as you've already got, but make sure you enclose your pod that way it has to suck in colder air. Theres a guy on here with possibly the nicest example of a pod enclosure i've ever seen :P I'm copying it hahaha.

Just get 4-2-1 headers, they'll give a good compromise on where your gains will be. and thats pretty much all you'll be able to do, unless you want to spend more and go for cams as well.

Whats the other option guys? Mini me or something? I'm sure someone will take over from here, in any case you can still to mini me without losing any of your current mods, ie your Cat back and intake...

ToFuBoi
03-06-2004, 12:47 AM
also whats the average price for a header? ecu?
and wtf is a flywheel?

oh and the major question i want answerd is for suspension/shocks or whatever to make a big difference in control what kind of mods would i have to do (i hear its kind of complicated) and overall how much will i be set back?

ToFuBoi
03-06-2004, 12:49 AM
wtf mini me?

can you describe to me what you did for your intake sikcvc? or got any pics? cheers

SIKCVC
03-06-2004, 01:07 AM
Dunno anything about mini me :S all i know is that its mini me of a b16a or something along those lines :P

My Pod was just enclosed by some thin aluminium. Cheap and pretty good for what it was... but its nothing fancy, and looks terrible... Heres what I'm doing now though... Looks and works very well.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~sbostock/engine%20bay.JPG

The only thing i could add to this would be a thick line of rubber around the top to match it up to the bonnet properly. Also the engine in the picture is a d16a8, is this what yours looks like?

What ever you do dont put your pod behind the front bar, they get waterloged quick.

geo41e
03-06-2004, 08:11 AM
thats customs' civic yeh??

l need a heatshield too lol

egSi
03-06-2004, 08:55 AM
hey pgclee,

what the ****? i doesnt cost shit to gut your car! did i say replace stock parts of your car with light ones? NO i didnt say anything about carbn fibre or ultra lite!
i know how much lite shit cost, i got cf hood and lite weight rims.

"no offense"

read slower

Kit
03-06-2004, 09:36 AM
dont wana spend too much on mods cause i want to rice it up
ToFu...

Oh...... I See.
I have nothing more to advise on this topic then ;)

A'PEXi
03-06-2004, 12:20 PM
ive never been waterloged, its not really a problem to have the pod under the frontbar.

genesis
03-06-2004, 01:58 PM
http://www.alexbochniak.com/photos/civic_intake.jpg

The above is my setup, pod in dc2 airbox with custom pipe. I have tested many other setups (including pod in front bar), and this is definitely the best i have found for my car. Nice gains throughout the whole rev range, low.. mid and high.

SIKCVC
03-06-2004, 02:49 PM
That looks really nice :D the reason they work best there is because the engine is technically pulling the air from there (under heavey load) rather than behind the bar, which is why they tend to lag a little when they're behind the bar (well it did on my ZC and other people have reported the same thing).

ive never been waterloged, its not really a problem to have the pod under the frontbar.

Does when you have an r33 GTR front bar with HUGE brake ducts. Or your fog lamps are off your OEM bar.

geo41e
03-06-2004, 09:59 PM

The above is my setup, pod in dc2 airbox with custom pipe. I have tested many other setups (including pod in front bar), and this is definitely the best i have found for my car. Nice gains throughout the whole rev range, low.. mid and high.

hey dude..where is that air box suckin from ?
from the bottom ?

l might do that too..but make the box suck from the side of my bumper coz l gota hold already there...will that work ?

Mitch M
03-06-2004, 10:06 PM
yeh ppl have told me it is a jdm model.. but i believe the engine is the typical si twincam one..

If thats the case its an Si, not an SiR!!

check, if it has the engine as being a D16A8 then you have an Si.

Better yet open you bonnet and at the front of the bay you will see a plate that says "EG5" if its an Si, or "EG9" if its an SiR

mo
03-06-2004, 10:12 PM
He said it says EG9 on it .

SIKCVC
03-06-2004, 10:31 PM
why would an !G9 have a d16a8? And even if it does have an SI engine it would be ZC not d16a8 since the engines actually have ZC printed on them, well the JDM engines do, or mine does.

In any case he's already said the engine doesn't have DOHC VTEC writen on it so its not a B16a.

pgclee
03-06-2004, 11:08 PM
egSi

Yea Yea yea...keep on pumping...i'm listening...

A'PEXi
03-06-2004, 11:59 PM

Does when you have an r33 GTR front bar with HUGE brake ducts. Or your fog lamps are off your OEM bar.

lol well that wasnt such a great idea was it? having the pod sticking in a hole in the frontbar...notice how some of the aem cai's are designed, they sit off center :)

genesis
04-06-2004, 04:45 PM
hey dude..where is that air box suckin from ?
from the bottom ?
I have some tubing coming from the bumper to underneath the airbox.

[[d a n n y]]
04-06-2004, 06:15 PM

yeap best setup...
got it on my car.