PDA

View Full Version : going insane, rattle + creek in the back

Rice_4_life
29-11-2006, 07:52 PM
hey all as above i got a fkin annoying rattle and creaks in the rear of my 1992 civic hatchback from what i am hearing it sounds lik the body is creaking and going over uneven surfaces and bumps seems as if the rear window is banging against the frame, anyone else hav this problem? and a rear brace and boot brace is installed and also lowered on king springs rear and stock eg6 springs front could this b a problem?

any help would b GREAT as this noise is annoying as fu* and the roads rnt exactly wot u would consider smooth.

ACTI0NMAN-1
29-11-2006, 08:11 PM
could your hatch latch be loose?

Rice_4_life
29-11-2006, 08:17 PM
nah cant b, i;ve cheked all the usual things it sounds as if the whole rear is sorta bending makin a creaking noise, i took the spare wheel out cos the previous owner had a space saver and a normal stopper so thought tat would help but didnt. and over bumps i get a rattle from the window area from the rear sounds of it and sumtimes the 2 rear sides as well. could the braces contribute to the problem?

phantom_civic
29-11-2006, 08:48 PM
Check ur rubber seals on the boot, they could be old and worned out.
WD-40 is ur friend, give the boot area a spray of that and see what happens after.

ACTI0NMAN-1
29-11-2006, 09:10 PM
could be the wiring inside your hatch or boot.
Or could be a loose power antenna bracket

Rice_4_life
29-11-2006, 09:24 PM
thnx for all input will go over ever single nook and cranny tomolo wit a can of wd-40 and a set of sockets and a ratchet, if this doesnt fix it i'll let a tailgater tak out my rear end and get insurance :P

froggy
29-11-2006, 09:42 PM
I get squeeks and stuff to.. but its just the back seat of my hatch....when some1 sits in the back seat and i go around corners it squeeks...its annoying ey..i might go crazy with the WD40 sometime see if that gets rid of it...

wassup
29-11-2006, 09:57 PM
thnx for all input will go over ever single nook and cranny tomolo wit a can of wd-40 and a set of sockets and a ratchet, if this doesnt fix it i'll let a tailgater tak out my rear end and get insurance :P

WD-40 is the last thing you want to use... it may cure the problem but it will come back in weeks and be much much worse than before (WD-40 attracts dust and is not designed for this purpose). You should use silicone spray and start off sparingly.

Remove the interior trim around the noisy bit of the rear 3/4 glass and spray the seems with silicone (wipe excess off).. and then in the boot pull out the trim on each side and all the area's in which metal is sandwhiched togather give it a light spray in between the seems.... it should quieten down the car a fair bit. I did the same thing to my old VTiR coupe and i never got a squeak again but from the sounds of things your problem seems far worse.

To answer your question... for sure... the braces would definately have contributed to the problem... these things work great with track cars but your humble hatch doesnt have the kind or weld points or number of welds.. over time the bracing has just distributed the forces right across your frame.

Ever heard a rally cars sqeaks and rattles after a few rounds? its just a fact of life. Youve just got a passenger car all braced up and lowered... think about it.

Setanta
29-11-2006, 10:01 PM
Welcome to the world of hatchbacks. Could be worse, my GTi is a rattle trap compared to my EF9 which had 3 or 4 rattles. By comparison, my '64 EH is rattle free. Go figure :S

Sydsyd
29-11-2006, 10:51 PM
I had the same problem too...creakings while braking and also squeaks while driving...

quite sure the squeaks come from worn bushings on the LCAs, while I've been told that the creakings are normal for hatches...that's more a sign of worn sussy...could be wrong though...

G-Stick
30-11-2006, 01:16 AM
try taking out ur rear seats and driving around and see if they are still there

RMN15N
30-11-2006, 02:04 PM
I had the same problem too...creakings while braking and also squeaks while driving...

quite sure the squeaks come from worn bushings on the LCAs, while I've been told that the creakings are normal for hatches...that's more a sign of worn sussy...could be wrong though...

it wouldnt be the bushings, because that would make a clonking noise,

ive had a similar problem to you,
first do you have a sunroof?? might be that when its half open it makes a sqeeking noise,

2ndly in the rear of the eg the trim is always loose from my exp
give it a good bash to clip it back in, also check ur pillars ontop of the window , i found out that mine was loose also

btw its an old car. 92 model ur tend to have some broken interior clips, etc
dont stress to much.. just pump the music

Mr_will
30-11-2006, 02:25 PM
i have a 92 da9, and experienced exactly what you describe

i got packing grease and put it where the gas struts for the boot join the boot itself, towards the back of the car. have not had a problem since.

Rice_4_life
30-11-2006, 09:42 PM
i went over and tightened all bolts and sprayed the absolute *** out of the entire rear end no mercy :D, good thing is u dont notice it as muc wen doin 60 and over but notice it lik hell if the road is crap. also found one bolt snapped off (boot hinge far right: 4 in total) and one screw missing from the spoiler, bought the car as it is and hav not modified it. and no sunroof its a cheap civic with a b16 in it

C.I.SIvic
30-11-2006, 10:34 PM
yea i get rattles all over the joint. u finally isolate 1 fix it and something else rattles...just can't win old cars wat can u expect, jus b glad its not coming from the engine bay!

G-Stick
01-12-2006, 12:22 AM
well my old dc2 had the worst rattles. wat i did was put card board behind the interior panels and it stopped most of it for abit. then it returned....

aimre
01-12-2006, 02:05 AM
the car creaking when going over due to the chassis flexing, thus parts in your car move and creak

garett
02-12-2006, 08:54 AM
dude if i were you i would look at re greasing the sway bar in the back

silver_screen
02-12-2006, 08:56 AM
hey all as above i got a fkin annoying rattle and creaks in the rear of my 1992 civic hatchback from what i am hearing it sounds lik the body is creaking and going over uneven surfaces and bumps seems as if the rear window is banging against the frame, anyone else hav this problem? and a rear brace and boot brace is installed and also lowered on king springs rear and stock eg6 springs front could this b a problem?

any help would b GREAT as this noise is annoying as fu* and the roads rnt exactly wot u would consider smooth.

grrrr ur the kinda customer i really really hate!

u want creeks and rattles??? come for a spin in my rx7.. ull have all the creeks and rattles and bumps u could ever ask for!!!! (had to vent a lil of my frustration)

and ive always wanted to say this to a customer.. If u dont want rattles and noises and all the bullshit.. buy urself a merc or bmw :)

Rice_4_life
02-12-2006, 05:53 PM
grrrr ur the kinda customer i really really hate!

u want creeks and rattles??? come for a spin in my rx7.. ull have all the creeks and rattles and bumps u could ever ask for!!!! (had to vent a lil of my frustration)

and ive always wanted to say this to a customer.. If u dont want rattles and noises and all the bullshit.. buy urself a merc or bmw :)

..wtf? i want to cure the problem if i had a real problem with it i wouldnt hav bought it, but i have. and yea if i hd money i woulda bought sumthin other than a civic.