PDA

View Full Version : Brand of Civic Stock Speakers?

TypeRice
30-11-2006, 06:05 PM
hey there peepz..

just wondering wat brand does Honda use for their stock speakers in their civic EK ?

i took my speakers out today.. coz its always making ZZZ noises when bass is high or music too loud.. so im finking of replacing dem....

i noticed all 4 speakers brand is Pioneer.

SOme other details are

4ohms
Nom. 15W
Max. 30W

front speakers were Made in China
and rear speakers were Made in Mexico
totally wierd lol...

Zdster
30-11-2006, 06:08 PM
just wondering wat brand does Honda use for their stock speakers in their civic EK ?

i noticed all 4 speakers brand is Pioneer.

:confused:

EuroDude
30-11-2006, 06:14 PM
Honda generally use Pioneers, and i'm pretty sure my EG civic used Pioneer, as well as in the euro.

But in reality, it doesnt matter, they are crap whatever they are :D

If you don't want to get an amp and spend too much, then have a look at the Boston Acoustic S range. They are designed to run off stock systems and will sound way better than the stock civic speakers.
You want a low RMS wattage rating, not a high RMS if you are running the speakers straight off a head unit.

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/car/car_product.aspx?category_id=14

Stay away from sony speakers, ive had my fair share and they are terrible, pioneers low-mid range are nothing special either.

mrwillz
30-11-2006, 06:28 PM
sooooo....

all speaker is pioneer ftw

TypeRice
30-11-2006, 06:56 PM
Stay away from sony speakers, ive had my fair share and they are terrible, pioneers low-mid range are nothing special either.

hey i was actually looking at sony speakers in the super cheap auto xmas catalogue i received in the mail today.

$60 for front speakers and $100 for rear speakers

i was thinking of getting them..

im not after anything bling.. and sound quality doesnt hafto be fully sick..

i just want to hear music without it distorting whenever there is bass or louder or higher pitch in the music..

If wat your saying about sony is crap as in it also distorts and make ZZZzz Noises .. den god dame need to spend more :( hehe

EuroDude
30-11-2006, 07:15 PM
ergh dude you dont want cheap sony speakers, trust me. They may actually sound worse than the stock pioneers. I had a cheap pair of sony 6" speaker in my civic running off the deck, the sound was very tinny and distorted excessively.

I'll have a look what alternatives you can get at a similar price..

EuroDude
30-11-2006, 07:31 PM
Front door speakers ~

These $39 Jaycar 6" 2-way speakers will sound better than the sony's: http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=CS2334&CATID=15&keywords=&SPECIAL=&form=CAT&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=609

Or if you wanna spend a bit more cash ~
Boston Accoustics S65 6.5" for the front (~$160).
Or the S55 5.25" speakers if there isnt enough rear clearance in the door ($140).

Rear Speakers ~

Assuming you have a Sedan, I'm guessing you want to put 6x9's in the rear parcel shelf (if you do, then you will need to cut the parcel shelf metal).

These $49 Jaycar 5way 45wRMS 6x9's will be ideal to run off the head unit:
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=CS2336&CATID=15&keywords=&SPECIAL=&form=CAT&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=609

Or if you want direct replacements (the rears should be 6" or 6.5")
The Jaycar 6" 2-way 35wRMS will do nicely: http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=CS2334&CATID=15&keywords=&SPECIAL=&form=CAT&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=609

Even thought the Jaycars are much cheaper, they will sound better than the overpriced Sony's. Jaycar speakers are actually quite decent and very good value :thumbsup:

VTC-8OY
30-11-2006, 07:34 PM
sony speakers are alright, jus gota make sure u get good enclosing in it otherwise will sound shreddy, if dat makes sense lol

TypeRice
30-11-2006, 07:39 PM
wow thanks for the info man..
jay car does sound nice.. !!! i wanna spend as less as possible on speakers.. coz im not a big fan of speakers.. just want sumthing that works.. and dis distortion during playback... nice and simple.. hehe

my car is actually a hatchback ... and 6x9"s are my size.. those $49 5 way 45W sounds pretty nice to me..

and btw wat is the highest RMS that a headunit can handle without amps?

EuroDude
30-11-2006, 07:50 PM
The stock honda head unit? Not sure, about 20wRMS I think.
The Jaycars I listed will run off the deck nicely since they are also low RMS rated :)

If you buy speakers that have a high RMS rating such as 80RMS+ (roughly 150watt+ peak), then you will need an Amplifier to get the most out of them, the Bass wont be loud at all if you simply run them off a head unit.

Always use RMS ratings to determine what you purchase, since many companies try to trick people and advertise their "peak wattage" rating (which is usually BS anyway lol)

[edit] dont know why Jaycar call those 6x9's "5-way" speakers, they look 2-way to me. Either way, they should be fine.

TypeRice
30-11-2006, 07:58 PM
oh my headunit is not stock .. its actually some JVC mp3s/cd player... but i think im gonna buy the 45W one u recommended above.. sounds like a bang for the buck.. exactly wat i want...

i am just gonna change the rear speakers.. leaving the front ones stock.. as i make all my music goto the rear speakers n e wyz...

thanks for your help eurodude..

now dat speakers r soon out of its way.. wat next.. arrr HID ^_^ =)

EuroDude
30-11-2006, 08:13 PM
I imagine the JVC HU would be a bit more powerful than the stock honda HU, but thats ok. It just means that you should be able to pump a bit more undistorted volume out of the Jaycars.

Yep the 45w 6x9's are slim and should fit straight in with no drama's.

Let us know how it goes :thumbsup:

TypeRice
05-12-2006, 11:15 AM
hey peepz,

i just got my response speakers that eurodude suggeested..

just haf a few questions on how to install it coz its not just plug and play..
i show u wat i mean..

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o144/typerice/speakers1a.jpg
well here are the 2 speakers in comparison.. right one is stock.. as you can see the left one is bigga coz its got a bracket.. which u can just take off.. which is useless for my civic n e wayz as it is too big and wont fit if u put the
bracket on .. but if u take the bracket off .. it fits perfect...

and since the speakers i bought doesnt have the thing like the stock speakers.. i cant just plug the cable from da car into these speakers.. i think maybe i need to do some soldering?

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o144/typerice/speakers2.jpg
i get 2 sets of these wires... hmmm dont think i need them

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o144/typerice/speakers3.jpg
and i have no idea what these are used for...

i also got screws which is obvious so i didnt post a pic of dem haha..

Fr3aKi3
05-12-2006, 11:49 AM
The "bracket" you're talking about it probably just the grille and as you said it's useless in civics because the car already has speaker grilles.

The silver metal bits in the last pic are clip which can be used to screw the speaker in. You place it in such a way that the metal/plastic of the car goes in between the metal clip so that the screw and hold it all down tightly.

In my car I cut off the stock speaker plug then crimped on some new terminals to connect it to the speaker. You could do the same, or splice into the stock wiring and add the supplied wires so that if you do decide to go back to stock you'll still have the plugs there. Just be sure that you get the polarities correct (ie the positive and negative).

EuroDude
05-12-2006, 12:50 PM
1) Cut the stock honda speaker connector off (the connector that plugged into the old speakers)

2) Use the connectors from the White jaycar cable (in your second picture) - cut about 15cm off (cut away the wire plastic to expose the wires), and solder it to the stock honda speaker wires. Or if you dont have a soldering iron, just twist them tightly and use heatshrink to fasten the twist. Or use electrical tape, but I hate using that stuff lol. Its low wattage so it doesnt need to be super professional or anything.

You shouldnt need the small bracket things in your last pic, since the stock speakers are the same size. The holes should be the same so just fasten the new speaker using the original screws.

You will get better sound if the speakers are airtight.

If there are any holes around the speaker, try filling the holes up. Some sound deadener mats will do nicely. You can buy cheap "BrownBread" stuff from Strathfield car radios or even Jaycar I think.
If there is a gap between the speaker frame and where it sits in, you can use some silicon sealant around the speaker edge. I used bluetac, which worked ok lol

TypeRice
05-12-2006, 07:20 PM
hey props to eurodude and fr3aki3

i think i haf a pretty good idea of what to do now. was looking at it just then in my garage ... and got bitten by a few mosquitos.. hence back on the computer.. i'll do it tomorow morning hehee

EuroDude
09-12-2006, 04:24 PM
So how are the new speakers, good?

TypeRice
10-12-2006, 02:00 AM
So how are the new speakers, good?

der not too bad

its louder and doesnt distort so easily.. but with heaps of bass it still distorts.. but das coz i dont haf amps or woofers so i guess its alright.. i just turn the settings down a bit and its perfect..

i actually got a friends soldering thing and soldered the wires together and then put tape around the part i soldered together..

oh den i saw in da catalogue that JB Hifi has some cheap speakers for $20
dam i could of gotten those hehehe

EuroDude
10-12-2006, 02:11 AM
Thats the thing, you cant expect big sound powered from a Head Unit. An amp is the only way to go for decent high volume sound.

But at least the sound is better than the stock speakers, and better than those Sony's for that matter.

I bet the jaycars are better than those $20 speakers hehe

4thGenExi
18-12-2006, 11:05 PM
Honda used Alpine headunits and speakers as factory OEM equipment back in the day. I still have the factory tape deck from my '91 Accord and yes it still works. Hrmm what happened....