PDA

View Full Version : interior heater/AC vents stuck and brittle. how to fix?

max06
01-12-2006, 02:50 PM
i didnt know what to call this. I couldnt find anything on this. In my LS integra some of the interior heater/aircon vents are stuck probably from old age and heat and the sun. The plastic has become brittle and they no longer move, so you cant change the direction of the airflow or open and close airflow. Is there a product or a way that you can get them moving again? i think oil based products will only work until they dry out again and make the plastic even more brittle. so probably not that good to use. anyone?

max06
02-12-2006, 08:37 AM
:wave: someone must have this problem.... lol i cant be the only one with heater vents stuck.

Zilli
03-12-2006, 05:23 PM
hmmmm

this is a tuff one man, you dont really want to damage them

maybe source replacements, but in the mkeantime you want to condition the plastic to give it some of its natural suppleness back

maybe some sort of uv protectant to give it some lube at the same time

i dunno

URBAN4
04-12-2006, 05:25 PM
Just get some CRC 5.56 multi-purpose lubricant spray (red and white can with red lid), and spray with the small nozzle attachment provided. Make sure you don't just spray into the vent - you need to get it on the part where the plastic is actually siezed. Leave it for a few minutes, then come back and wiggle it around a bit, it should move freely.

JasonGilholme
04-12-2006, 05:52 PM
to bring back the colour use some 303 protectant. It should do the job quite well.

you can get it from autobarn/repco/supercheap.