PDA

View Full Version : system upgrade....

gbang007
02-12-2006, 02:11 AM
i currently have a ported 400watt rms audiobahn sub running off a mono audiobahn amp. looking to upgrade.....is the amp worth chaning as i am looking for mainly a better sub.....anyone got any ideas? budget is roughly $1000 for both. listen to mainly dance, techno, rnb, pop........what brands are good? i am also looking to get new splits and amp them down the track. i need some ideas......new amp or not? as i think its a good amp.

Slow96GSR
02-12-2006, 09:03 AM
Model numbers would help just a little.

Fr3aKi3
02-12-2006, 09:06 AM
What front speakers are you using now? Are they amped?
If they're stock and not amped then i'd suggest getting some good splits and and quality amp to match it. You'd be suprised at how much better your system will sound.

As for Audiobahn gear, many consider then as all show and no go, all about the bling and not how they sing. That being said for 1000 to get an amp a sub combo you'd have a fair fit to choose from.

Boston Acoutics
Digital Designs
Alpine
JL Audio
Audison
DLS
Oz Audio
Treo
Image Dynamics
Focal
Rainbow

Obviously prices would vary between the entry/mid and for 1000 you may not be able to get the high end of some of those brands BUT it's best to have a listen to the subs and you may find that entry level gear from a quality brand would be better than high-end gear of an average brand. As I said though, it's best if you go and have a listen, since it'll be you that listens to the sub more than anyone else. So you should choose what you like. Also keep in mind a budget to get a box made up, if that is already included in the $1000 then just don't forget it when you're choosing gear otherwise you may be spending more than you want.

Slow96GSR
02-12-2006, 11:01 AM
The only one on your list I would even consider running is Image Dynamics. They’re all about the sound quality and the IDMax is phenomenal with SQ and SPL! I know the others are good but if he wants A.B. still they are a good company. I have been using them in my car for 3 years and they sound and perform great. I don't use their amps or processors as I get those from other sources but their speakers and subs are great.

Fr3aKi3
02-12-2006, 12:29 PM
The only one on your list I would even consider running is Image Dynamics. They’re all about the sound quality and the IDMax is phenomenal with SQ and SPL! I know the others are good but if he wants A.B. still they are a good company. I have been using them in my car for 3 years and they sound and perform great. I don't use their amps or processors as I get those from other sources but their speakers and subs are great.

They're only just suggestions of a few brands that he can look into and as I said, he should go and listen to as much as he can before he makes his decision. You may like the sound of an Audiobahn sub but maybe he's isn't satisfied with it anymore and hence he's looking for an upgrade. Out of that list you'd only consider the IDMax, that is one of the better subs if not best out of that small list but then i'd also take a Boston G512 over any Audiobahn sub any day of the week.

It's all about personal preference and what suits you best.

nick
02-12-2006, 01:42 PM
Hey buddy

if your willing to spend $1000
Then best thing is get a set of jbl gto splits for under 300 bucks i picked up mine for 200 but thats tradies price not sure what theyre going for now
get a Jaycar response amp i had it for 1.5 yrs and never had a problem atm its running 2 cerwin vega 12s and my splits and it powers them all no problems
get the 4x100w jaycar response amp you wont have a issue they retail for 280 they are cheaper the more you buy if your friends need one then you can get them to get one as well so you get it cheaper. So far you have spent 580 you have 420 bucks to spend on a sub
go for a 12 inch as they are most responsive and give a good rumble. i suggest a jl uadio 12 inch not sure going rate but i know you can pick one up boxed under 300 or get 2 pioneers boxed from jb hi fi for under 200 a pop and thats your budget well spent.

BTW what head unit are you running if its nothing flash then maybe just settle for the one sub
But for under 1k you will not be dissapointed with this system.
If your interested i have 2 sony xplod pentagons unboxed you can post me an offer if you like they were good when i have them in the car but if you can spend the money then get some new gear like i suggested above

GOOD LUCK