PDA

View Full Version : Monoblock into 2 subs??

arron
02-12-2006, 01:08 PM
Just wondering how you would connect 2 subwoofers to a monoblock amp... Coz my box enclosure has 2 sets of positives and negatives... Am I just lost??

And also, on the Rockford Fosgate 300.1 monoblock amp... how do you go about connecting the remote wire? Coz the place where it says "Remote Bass Boost" or sumthing is the port for the volume controller.... I have no idea....

help please!

Slow96GSR
02-12-2006, 03:21 PM
Yes you can have two subs on a mono block amp. Just wire it the way the manuals say, don't run the impedance wrong or the amp will go in to protection.

It should say rem or remote. The remote bass boost is a knob just to adjust the bass level.

Is it this one? http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/product_details.asp?cat_id=2&series_id=6&family_id=19&item_id=91949&locale=en_US&p_status=

I couldn't find a 300.1 amp on the site, How old is it?

EuroDude
02-12-2006, 03:38 PM
Yep you can wire two subwoofers up. You need to work out if you need to use Series or Parallel wiring, and account for Dual Voice Coils if your Subs have DVC.

To work out the ohms, you divide the ohms of one coil, by the number of coils when the coils are in parallel. For Series, you multiply the ohms of one coil by the number of coils.

For example:
2 coils 4 ohms each in parallel is 2 ohms
2 coils 4 ohms each in series is 8 ohms
4 coils 4 ohms each in parallel is 1 ohm
4 coils 4 ohms each in series is 16 ohms

This site has a handy ohms calculator:
http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp

ps. "Remove Bass Boost" is a remote Dial you can hook up to control the Bass. Its not the Remote-In connection.

The Remote-In wire needs to be attached to your Head Units, Remote Wire (its usually a blue wire). Or if your head unit doesnt have one (if its a cheap stock Headunit for example), then you can hook up the Remote-In wire to a 12v Ignition source that only turns on when the Ingition is ON. For instance, the ciggy lighter

aka_NSX
02-12-2006, 04:42 PM
The Remote-In wire needs to be attached to your Head Units, Remote Wire (its usually a blue wire)

usually its Blue w/ white stripe,

plain blue is for power antenna thats if the H/U has it

DSNTGR8
04-12-2006, 09:06 AM
stack!!!

Slow96GSR
04-12-2006, 09:36 AM
usually its Blue w/ white stripe,

plain blue is for power antenna thats if the H/U has it

If it's an aftermarket deck it will have both. You do not want the solid blue wire as the amp turn-on because if the deck lowers the antenna when playing a cd the amps will shut off too.

Stoosh
04-12-2006, 10:11 AM
hey mate, if you need any help give me a PM and i can come out and give you some help, i live in your area

aka_NSX
07-12-2006, 09:45 PM
If it's an aftermarket deck it will have both. You do not want the solid blue wire as the amp turn-on because if the deck lowers the antenna when playing a cd the amps will shut off too.

PIONEER never had one !!!!!!

89civic
12-12-2006, 10:55 AM
i used this when i started doing stereos
http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-ikiIHjhSUK7/learningcenter/car/subwoofers_wiring.html

arron
21-12-2006, 02:24 AM
thanks for all the help guys...
really useful stuff.. got my subs all working...

just another noobie question..

I have 2x rockford fosgate 12'' P2's (the older model... cant recall the series number) but does anyone know on the top of their heads how many coils these have and at what ohm each coil is? Coz I have a monoblock amp that is running on 4 ohm (dunno if thats the right way of stating it.. lol)...

I currently have the 2 subs in series with the monoblock and just wanted to know if that's the right way in having it set up...

cheers fellas!!

6000rpm
22-12-2006, 04:16 PM
take the sub out of the box, look at the label stuck on the back of the magnet. model number, coil resistance, svc or dvc should all be there.

if the subs are 4ohm svc then running them in parallel would give you a 2ohm load to the amp thus more power! RF amps should be 2ohm stable.

cheers!