PDA

View Full Version : civic idling issue

mariecivic
02-12-2006, 01:46 PM
hi,
i have a 1998 civic cxi and i've noticed that after a really long drive, the car idling fluctuates between 0rpm - 1000rpm and almost seems like it wants to shut off when i leave it in neutral at stop. The car idles normally when the engine is cold or hasnt been driven for long.

Additionally i noticed this morning after starting the engine that it was hard to depress on the accelerator at first. I had to step really hard like as if it was clogged, then after that it was normal.

Are these problems linked? Usually i hear of people having idling problems at cold then it goes away, but mine is opposite.

any help appreciated, thank you
:angel:

EK4R
02-12-2006, 03:06 PM
i got the same problem before and happens wen i warm up the car or after a hard vtec. now its gone.

first try cleaning your throttle body. get all the dirt out of it with carby cleaner. after reset the ecu by removing the negative terminal and plug it back in.

let it idle and go for a spin see how it goes.

if you still have the problem, then clean your IACV. this thing affects your idle when your car is warmed up. get all the crap in there out and replace any worn seals. i believe you can adjust your idle level too but not too sure how.

here are some DIY you might want to try yourself to save yourself on labor. 10min jobs

Throttle Body clean
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35488&highlight=throttle

IACV CLEAN
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4693&highlight=IACV

EuroDude
02-12-2006, 03:28 PM
Sounds like the throttle butterfly valve is sticking to the throttle body, causing the throttle pedal to stick.

As EK4R said, give the throttle body and idle bypass a good clean. That should solve the idle problem as well :thumbsup:

|N|
02-12-2006, 03:38 PM
clean throttle body laaaaaaaaaa

mariecivic
03-12-2006, 03:53 AM
wow thanks for the responses! those DIY tips will definetely help. well so far i havent cleaned the throttle body, but i gave the car a good thrashing on the freeway, which has seemed to completely stop the idling issues, but the sticky thing still happens.
well cleaning it out should do, so i'll let u know how it goes

rhk
03-12-2006, 04:34 AM
i had a similar problem with my 05 gli and i found that it was due to my idle solenoid being stuffed

muhhan
10-12-2006, 06:32 PM
Have you fixed your problem yet? I had a problem with my idle. It was on cold start though. The car would just rev between 1200-2000rpm on its own. Cleaned the throttle body, poured a bottle of injector cleaner into the petrol tank, and did an oil change. That seemed to fix the problem.

For future reference, the D16Y4 (Civic CXi & GLi) engine does not have the same IACV set up as the D16Y8 and D16A8 (the one in the IACV clean DIY guide). From what I saw today the IACV bolts onto the bottom of the throttle body in the D16Y4 and seems to work differently to the one pictured in the DIY. There is no mesh to spray/clean, it is held on by 4 bolts, and is an absolute focker to access. I could not even find the FITV on the D16Y4. Does this thing even exist?

Let us know how you've gone mariecivic.

EK4R
10-12-2006, 10:47 PM
i had a similar problem with my 05 gli and i found that it was due to my idle solenoid being stuffed

solenoid ? where bouts is that??? i wanna check mine .

Have you fixed your problem yet? I had a problem with my idle. It was on cold start though. The car would just rev between 1200-2000rpm on its own. Cleaned the throttle body, poured a bottle of injector cleaner into the petrol tank, and did an oil change. That seemed to fix the problem.

you can mix that with existing petrol ?? where and what brand did you get ?? and does it matter which engine you have ??

mrwillz
11-12-2006, 12:52 PM
injectr cleaner is fine
that how injectors get cleaned

destrukshn
11-12-2006, 12:55 PM
i don't reckon injector cleaner really cleans your injectors so well.
lol.
i reckon it's just another name for octane booster.
lol.
the best and proper way, is to take em off and send them to some to actually clean them for you.

mrwillz
11-12-2006, 01:45 PM
does help tho

EuroDude
11-12-2006, 02:37 PM
Just fill up with some 98RON and give it a good thrashing :p

Apparently 98RON has various additives to help keep the engine clean so maybe its worth a try.

muhhan
11-12-2006, 09:58 PM
Injector cleaner is just Wynn's Spitfire. Of course the proper, most effective and most expensive way is to take them out and send them to a professional, but you may not need to go to that extent.

Yes, true about the 98RON fuel. My car isn't driveable at this stage as it's not registered and I can't afford insurance so it wasn't possible to fill up (also have a full tank) and drive it around.

What I did solved my problem so I was happy. No need for me to go to all the extra trouble.

[ricer]
27-03-2007, 08:39 PM

For future reference, the D16Y4 (Civic CXi & GLi) engine does not have the same IACV set up as the D16Y8 and D16A8 (the one in the IACV clean DIY guide). From what I saw today the IACV bolts onto the bottom of the throttle body in the D16Y4 and seems to work differently to the one pictured in the DIY. There is no mesh to spray/clean, it is held on by 4 bolts, and is an absolute focker to access. I could not even find the FITV on the D16Y4. Does this thing even exist?

Let us know how you've gone mariecivic.

can someone please answer this as i need to know as well

dupac->
27-03-2007, 10:23 PM
yeah my idle does same, mainly after i i give it a beating..

sits around 1100rpm then drops to normal..

so im gonna try cleaning TB and giving oil change see how it goes..

shouldn tbe anything to major? was gonna start a similiar thread.. but was gonna do the above first before asking

ekhybrid
27-03-2007, 10:58 PM
clean ur IACV while ur at it

muhhan
30-03-2007, 11:58 PM
IACV is of different design in the D16Y4 engine compared to the one that is normally describe (such as in the DIY on this forum). The hoses on the D16Y4 IACV will probably need to be cut off as I couldn't get mine off. They have become part of the IACV over the last 11 years. I didn't have any new ones so I didn't cut mine. Also there is a rubber gasket which should be replaced if you take the IACV off. Mine was flatter than road kill, but again had to reuse as didn't have a new one. Reusing the old one may cause a potential leak in the future.