PDA

View Full Version : MP4-19B Breaks Cover

Dylan
02-06-2004, 10:27 PM
The McLaren Mercedes development car the MP4-19B tested for the first time today at a rainy Silverstone. Kimi Raikkonen completed 46 laps in the car and set a lap time of 1m22.120s, which was second fastest of the day behind Fernando Alonso in the Renault.

"We only managed to do a few laps in the morning due to rain but we were able to do some more running in the afternoon when the track was drying," commented Kimi. "My first impression of the car is that it feels good. As it takes time to develop a car on the track we still have a busy couple of days ahead of us. What is important for me is that the development car seems to feel and behave really well so far. "

"We did what we could today considering the weather without experiencing any major problems," said Martin Whitmarsh CEO Formula One, Team McLaren Mercedes. "Hopefully the weather will improve so we can go through our planned testing programme. The car appears to be a step in the right direction, but it really is too early to say anything more. The team will continue its testing programme at Silverstone with Kimi on Wednesday and Thursday and gather as much information as possible. No decision has been taken about the possible race introduction of the MP4-19B as it all depends on the progress we make during testing. "

"Kimi Raikkonen broke cover in the new MP4-19B this morning. The heavily revised car has a significantly redesigned rear end and modifications to the front of the car. The sidepods now look very similar to Ferrari and the engine cover resembles that of Renault."

Source - F1racing.net

http://www.f1racing.net/en/photo.php/large/29136.jpg
http://www.f1racing.net/en/photo.php/large/29116.jpg

VTEC16
02-06-2004, 11:51 PM
im not worried - still running the same engine...

Dylan
03-06-2004, 12:37 AM
however, with increased aero efficiency the engine dosent have to stress as hard to run as fast speeds.

also, with increased aero efficiency, the radiators get better airflow, which means the engine dosent overheat, and in return, the engine dosent blow.

it will be an improvement on both speed and reliability

LUD02C
03-06-2004, 08:50 AM
Same engine, and Alonso was still faster at Silverstone then it :D
Look here for evidence! http://www.ozhonda.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7014

VTEC16
03-06-2004, 11:00 AM
with increased aero efficiency, the radiators get better airflow, which means the engine dosent overheat, and in return, the engine dosent blow.

Thats not true - they are related but not proportional......in fact....id say they are inversly proportional - better cooling is a tradeoff for aerodynamic efficiency.

Jus-10
03-06-2004, 11:50 AM
I love Ferrari...McLaren can die

LUD02C
03-06-2004, 11:53 AM
I love Ferrari...McLaren can die

YYYYEEEEEHHHHHHH
Another Schumy fan!
I thought i was the only one!

But i do also go for:
Alonso, Juan, Kimi and ofcourse WEBBER

Jus-10
03-06-2004, 12:03 PM
hehehe...Schumey rocks!

Those that don't like him are just haters!

Fingers crossed that Webber gets out of his Jaguar contract at the end of the year and in to a top ride

Dylan
04-06-2004, 12:12 AM
yes that is true when the sidepods are wrapped around the radiators, but with good barge board design, the air flow into the radiators can be finely tuned to provide the maximum airflow with the lowest drag.

so in effect, yes aero can be both good and bad for the COOLING, but it dosent need to be cooled as much bacause theres less drag therefore less stress the engine is put under :P