PDA

View Full Version : Overseas Audio Gear?

MrPlow
02-06-2004, 11:01 PM
Hey my father is doing his monthly Singapour trip so im woundring if i buy a deck over there will it be compatible with the cars here?

Im guessing it obvious that the speakers and amps will, but will the decks? does the radio still work?

i heard you need some adapter or something??? anyone done this!!!

deceivin
02-06-2004, 11:25 PM
i brought a deck from hk a few years back, and it worked fine.

Usual Suspect
02-06-2004, 11:31 PM
only thing that might be diff is the radio frequency. some american hu dont pick up radio signals here.

SIKCVC
03-06-2004, 12:03 AM
yeah they have some different frequencies, thats why JDM OEM radio's dont work over here.

Check the frequency range before you buy it... but yeah the rest of the gear would be easy! get a TV while your at it, they're worth nothing over there.

MrPlow
03-06-2004, 12:35 AM
how do i check the freq. and know it will work here?

does anyone recommend a nice deck with some graphic movies that play while you drive, and that has a front loader cd and mp3?(i hate stackers).. something fairly reasonable in price... something pioneer?

A'PEXi
04-06-2004, 12:15 AM
i think jvc/kenwood have what your after.... can your dad get anythin else while his over there? lol :)

wynode
04-06-2004, 12:21 AM
If you are buying it from the US, get a brand like Rockford Fosgate or Boston.

Don't waste money on Jap stereos components......they don't cut it when it comes to SQ :)

micka
04-06-2004, 12:51 AM

Don't waste money on Jap stereos components......they don't cut it when it comes to SQ :)

older naks, some of the eclipse heads? some of the naks aren't the most reliable, but sq is as good as pretty much anything imho

toE
04-06-2004, 01:30 AM
Any decks/hu from Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, HongKong will work fine here in terms of the radio reception.

So which hu u getting?? :)

Javed
04-06-2004, 09:58 AM
Yeah Nakamichi kicks ass over RF's units! But boston make an awesome subwoofer! :P Got my boston pro 12 sittin under my bed waiting to go in! But on the topic it should work fine, i cant remember what sing works off but im pretty sure it is the same as here (i guess i could find out from my relatives if you really wanted) otherwise Jaycar sell a FM modulator thing that can make jap headunits etc work here!

poid
04-06-2004, 10:11 AM

What does the country the company is from have to do with the SQ? I certianly wouldnt call RF an SQ brand :shock:

But anyway, HU's from the US acn have problems with the AM frequencies havign a different step to aussie stations (i think here we go up in steps of 9, and they use steps of 10). A lot of them have a switch that lets you choose though.

Not sure about HU's from singapore, just find out the maximum and minimum frequency and steps in between frequencies for e deck in singapore and compare it to an aussie sold one

A'PEXi
04-06-2004, 02:54 PM
btw, friend has a alpine unit from hk that works fine as well :D

JohnnyBoy
11-06-2004, 04:37 PM
i know that the HU's from the US steps up differently in the frequencies..

what i mean if that here in australia when you adjust the radio stations, the digital read out changes frequescies by 0.5 hz.

So if you listen to Nova, 96.9, and adjust the frequency is adjusted to one step higher, the read out should say 96.95.

The US radio frequencies are different. it go up by like 0.6 i think.. so your reception would be crap, cause you might be able to get the proper adjustment to tune into the correct frequency.

However, my apline HU has a setting for both the US style adjustment as well as the one's justed here in Oz.

Calvo
12-06-2004, 04:35 PM
asian countries are fine.

can any of u honestly tell me u listen to AM radio anyways?? lol.

MrPlow
06-07-2004, 05:34 PM
Just to sum this thread up...

Dad brought back a brand new pioneer DEH-P9650MP and installed it myself last week, everything works fine!

I even made a little video loop of my car which plays while i drive quite cool!

thanks for your help!

Calvo
06-07-2004, 06:46 PM
may i ask how much he got it for??

PM me if ya dont wanna tell all.

Z
07-07-2004, 01:30 PM
Id be interested how much you payed for the DEH-9XXX hu too. My sisters going to HK next week, and im looking for a tv and maybe a new hu if the price is right.

Cheers

MrPlow
09-07-2004, 07:24 PM
I got quoted here (when they finally arrive which should be afew months) from afew places all around AUS$2100

I paid AUS$600

Z
10-07-2004, 10:54 AM
:shock: wow....AU$600. I buy 5 and flog them off :P .

Thanks for your help Mr. Plow