PDA

View Full Version : EG trailing arms different when trying to replace! Help!

Paul1985
02-12-2006, 07:12 PM
Hey guys,
last week i crashed my 1995 EG GLi sedan and destroyed the rear right trailing arm and slightly bent my subframe.

I have a 1992 EG GL hatch in my garage which is my project car. Im picking up a set of ITR brakes for this hatch so i was lucky to be able to use the trailing arm off this.

Both rear brake setups are drum brake setups.

I took the whole trailing arm off the hatch and had a bitch of a time getting it on the sedan today. I have it all bolted up now and i went to bolt the drum brakes on and the back cover will not bolt up to the trailing arm as the holes are drilled out differently between the two arms

Heres a pic below.. i have one bolt through and thats all that i can get..
What do you think i should do? Can i unbolt the old plate which the drum bolts upto off the damaged trailing arm and fit it to the new trailing arm (if its condition is ok).. For this i need a torx bit which i didnt have today.

Or should i just use the whole drum setup off the hatch for the damaged side. If i do this would i be able to leave the side im not fixing exactly how it is or would i need to replace the whole trailing arm and drum brake setup on the other side of the car so they are both the same?

I hope im making some sense to someone, surely someone has encountered this same issue.

Any help would be so so helpful

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b35/Paul_K_1985/drum.jpg

bennjamin
02-12-2006, 07:17 PM
looks like u need to press the hub out and put it onto the good trailing arm.
BTW all EG and DC trailing arms are the same - its the parts stuck to them that differ (bush/hub/lines/etc)

Paul1985
02-12-2006, 07:24 PM
looks like u need to press the hub out and put it onto the good trailing arm.
BTW all EG and DC trailing arms are the same - its the parts stuck to them that differ (bush/hub/lines/etc)

cheers ben. I might try without a press. I think i might just throw the old gear on if i need a press as i dont have a press or know of any local.

If i use the old drum brakes on the right hand side of the car, should i use the old ones on the left so they are the same??

Thats re-assuring knowing the trailing arms are the same in size.

ECU-MAN
02-12-2006, 10:54 PM
just install the old drums :)

revNhevN
03-12-2006, 12:36 PM
In models with disc brakes the hub is held onto the trailing arm by 4 torx bolts (on the back of the trailing arm). These can be really tight. If ur getting ITR brakes for the hatch why dont u put ur whole trailing arm/hub from ur hatch on the sedan?

Paul1985
03-12-2006, 05:17 PM
In models with disc brakes the hub is held onto the trailing arm by 4 torx bolts (on the back of the trailing arm). These can be really tight. If ur getting ITR brakes for the hatch why dont u put ur whole trailing arm/hub from ur hatch on the sedan?

thats exactly what ive done but the hub is different in size between the two models (and they are both drum brake setups!). The whole trailing arm/hub assembly is now on the sedan.

What im going to do is take the trailing arm back off the sedan and get the hubs pressed off and swap them over. I have trade school this week so i can use the press there

destrukshn
03-12-2006, 05:56 PM
yu[s both different.
pretty sure.
it ranges form 92-93 and then it changes to 94-95

destrukshn
03-12-2006, 08:31 PM
acutally not pretty sure.
definative.
lol.

Paul1985
03-12-2006, 08:50 PM
i hope this hub comes off without any hassles
this whole thing has just been 1 big pain in the ass lol

Paul1985
12-12-2006, 09:24 PM
i have a whole 92 trailing arm with the hub/drum assembly on my drivers rear.
i have a whole 95 trailing arm with the hub/drum assembly on my passenger rear.

The 92 is quiet smaller in diameter. Will this matter?

Also, ive assembled the shoes in the drum, adjusted them as much as possible.. hand brake is off.. still cannot get the drum on for the life of me!!
Anyone have any ideas what i may have done wrong?

Paul1985
14-12-2006, 01:46 PM
bump for any help on my previous post.
after some research im pretty sure the reason i cant get the drum cover on is because i need to loosen off the hand brake. *fingers crossed*

i still wanna know if running different sized drums will be a problem????

destrukshn
14-12-2006, 01:51 PM
do the drums have a lip on the edge? have you got it machined before?
you adjust them the right way?
lol.

there's also a tensioner on the handbrake it self,where the 2 cables go.

JasonGilholme
14-12-2006, 01:52 PM
It may not be a PROBLEM, but you will find that one side of your car will brake better then the other possibly causing your car to pull to one side under braking.

Why don't you just put the 95 on both sides?? or the 92 on both sides??

I'm a bit confused as to which one you rooted lol

destrukshn
15-12-2006, 09:07 AM
did you get it done?

Paul1985
16-12-2006, 05:00 PM
not yet, havent had a chance to get to my mates to do it.

hopefully tomorrow. It MUST be fixed by next friday.

I hope i can get it together.. i hope its just the handbrake cable being tight

Heres a pic of how ive put it together, does this look right to u??

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b35/Paul_K_1985/drum1.jpg

destrukshn
16-12-2006, 05:10 PM
looks normal.
unless your using the wrong drum, the smaller one than the bigger one.

but yeah, try loosening the cables from insdie the cabin as well.'

Paul1985
16-12-2006, 05:23 PM
looks normal.
unless your using the wrong drum, the smaller one than the bigger one.

but yeah, try loosening the cables from insdie the cabin as well.'

the smaller one is the one im installing. so i gotta be careful not to use the larger one.

ill definately try loosening the handbrake cable in the cabin. By the looks of it in the pic, it looks pretty loose to me already..

destrukshn
16-12-2006, 05:26 PM
does your drum have a lip on it?

Paul1985
18-12-2006, 01:38 PM
does your drum have a lip on it?

It could, i had a quick feel of it the other day and it felt ok. When i originally pulled the drum cover off it come off with very little effort so i dont think it has much of a lip.. Im going tonight to try fix it up after work, i havent had the chance all weekend.

i need it fixed by friday so i hope i can figure it out tonite.
I might pull the assembly back off and reinstall it, and adjust the handbrake lever.. if this doesnt work then ive got no idea what im gonna do!

destrukshn
18-12-2006, 04:22 PM
so you've adjusted from inside the cabin as well?
if not try that before your rip it apart again.

Paul1985
19-12-2006, 07:56 AM
Got it together..
The fork on the end of the self adjuster wasnt sitting on the brake shoe properly causing the shoe to sit out a bit.. i pushed that into position and the cover slid on with ease.

The sub-frame in my car is bent bad though, its noticeable. There is also something wrong with my front end. Its pretty dangerous to drive it at the moment! The car pulls over the road, especially when hitting bumps. Im going to have to get another DD next year i think.