PDA

View Full Version : Black shadow on ground with HID kit.

^__^ SM ^__^
02-12-2006, 09:20 PM
Hi everyone,

I've been searching through past forum and I still can't get an answer.

I've read about the halogen filament and putting in the bulb upside down.

I just want to ask if others with Standard Euro and HID kits have 2 black shadows on the ground that look like black horns.

I installed the HID bulbs with the electrode ON TOP. why is the black shadows on the bottom of the beam.

When I drive, it looks like 2 horns on the ground.

Please help. :(

aaronng
02-12-2006, 10:04 PM
Yes, same thing happened with corn_flakes when he installed HIDs into his standard Euro. Can you turn the HID bulb around so the electrode is at the bottom?

^__^ SM ^__^
02-12-2006, 10:48 PM
Thanks Aaron. I'll try flipping them tomorrow. From what I saw today, shouldn't be a problem (in terms of the hole) but we'll see... fingers crossed...

Just one question though, by flipping it, wouldn't the arc of light NOT be at the point of focus? I noticed that the "centre" longitudinal axis of symmetry of the bulb isn't where the light arc is. It is more somewhere in between the arc and the ceramic electrode; therefore flipping would make a definite difference to the focus point for the project lens.

aaronng
02-12-2006, 11:22 PM
Well, if you can't live with the shadow, you have to try out every possible solution. Flipping it so the electrode is at the bottom might make it worse or it might make it better. You just have to try everything to solve your problem. Remember to test the illumination distance as well as the cutoff pattern.

Also, corn_flakes could not flip the bulb because the hole in the headlights were not symmetrical. Not sure about yours, but mine is symmetrical and would have no problem flipping it around (04 Euro).

clowdz
03-12-2006, 02:03 PM
You're seeing the shadow because of the projector. Basically the beam gets inverted when it passes through the projector.. i.e. so the top whatever is being projected (the electrode) will be the bottom of the beam once it passes through the lens of a projector. Similar to the concept of a camera. If you are able to flip it upside down it will definitely get rid of this shadow, but as aaronng mentioned I don't think the hole for the bulb is symmetrical so you might have problems trying to fit it "upside down". Not sure if I read it in this forum, but the solution was to get a small file to make a cut on the bottom so that the electrode could sit pretty.. Not a good solution, but I think it's the only way you're going to get rid of that shadow.

While we're on the topic, does anyone with a Euro Lux with factory HID's know if the hole where the bulb goes through is symmetrical?

aaronng
03-12-2006, 02:09 PM
Euro Lux use different bulbs (D2S), and they have a different opening shape in the headlight.

2003-2005 base euros have a symmetrical hole.

^__^ SM ^__^
03-12-2006, 04:28 PM
Well.. i tried flipping it today.. got it to go into the hole BUT.. it wouldn't sit properly with the clips on... the base of bulb just wouldn't sit... when look into the engine bay, it glows white because there's light leak.

When took out again.. the ceramic cover of the electrode was broken!! ahh.. spent all morning superglueing it back together.. still works but a small piece is still missing in the projector somewhere..

i'll live with the shadow i guess.. but just wondering if that missing ceramic piece will cause problems in the headlight?

aaronng
03-12-2006, 04:51 PM
It's an insulator. You need to seal it with proper insulating material because the HIDs run with high voltage.

^__^ SM ^__^
03-12-2006, 06:47 PM
Oh no :( is it ok if it's only missing about 1mm of ceramic?

aaronng
03-12-2006, 07:27 PM
Not sure. But don't worry, you can always buy spare bulbs.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/XENON-HID-Bulb-H1-H3-H4-H7-H8-H11-9006-9007-D2R-D2S_W0QQitemZ200051664136QQihZ010QQcategoryZ102560 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

ZEi20T
03-12-2006, 07:55 PM
OMG they aren't bulbs! they are burners :P

missing some of the ceramic wont hurt too much. DONT use electrical tape or anything on them tho :)

^__^ SM ^__^
03-12-2006, 08:23 PM
No tapes.. dont' worry :D

NEW BULBS :( i just got them.. took ages to save up ... sigh... what is the cheapest you think i get them for? is ebay the cheapest? if i'm going to get new ones.. it's going to be 4300K.

my gf is going to china, is it cheaper over there? she doesn't know much about cars. does anyone know where abouts , ie. what kind of shop, sells them in china? I don't suppose there's an Autobarn over there.

Btw.. i looked in Autobarn today. They charge $600 for a kit installed.. what a rip!! spare bulbs are $250!! hmm...

destrukshn
03-12-2006, 08:37 PM
spare bulbs you can get for $100.dunnoes about the quality of them though.
lol.

aaronng
03-12-2006, 09:40 PM
I'd rather spend $100 on bulbs from Taiwan rather than those from China.

jamchen
03-12-2006, 09:55 PM
don't get them from china, especially by someone who doesn't know cars well.. they'll just rip you off badly!!!
go on ebay and i am sure u can get a spare pair with relative cheap price,
get those ones from Taiwan... i am using then ATM and never had any problems so far!
i am not saying that those made in china are bad but there are too bad fake and shitty ones around and i don't think ur gf will be able to identify them..
oh,,, note that i am still using techone (Made in China) ballsts and they've been on my car for 3 yrs with no worries!

ZEi20T
03-12-2006, 09:59 PM
dont get anything except a name brand burner. the colour temps quoted on the cheaper ones are generally not what they produce. spend the money on some DECENT burners and you wont be disappointed.

^__^ SM ^__^
04-12-2006, 05:38 AM
By brand name, do you mean Philips, Osram, Hella? I don't think they make any other size beside D2.

In regards to aftermarket bulbs, which brand is good. I don't even know how to tell which brand it is.

ZEi20T
04-12-2006, 07:35 AM
yeah phillips IMO make the best burners on the market. but yes D2R/D2S are the only ones they make. but you can get them through resellers that put H1/H4 or whatever key style you want to retro fit onto a halogen style car.

^__^ SM ^__^
04-12-2006, 05:55 PM
Hi ZEi20T. Can you tell me where I can find these good bulbs? Can't find them on eBay.

Also, today I noticed that the bulb is intially bright when first turn on then dulled a bit after 10sec. I believe someone else on OzHonda has this problem too. Are the bulbs dying? Or is that normal for HID.

Is it also not good to start the car with the lights on? Thanks.

ZEi20T
04-12-2006, 09:52 PM
so dont look at ebay :P

HIDs flash on at the start. this is the gas being ignited. then they should change colour (or brightness if you will) and settle at their Kelvin rating. eg 4300k

its not good to turn them on and off all the time, its not good to flash your light as it turns them on and off. SOME cars kill the headlights when you kick them over, my euro doesnt, my S15 with factory HIDs didnt, but my S13 did do it. so just watch out what your car does.

bankids
21-12-2006, 11:19 PM
your bulbs are fine in my opinion, no need to get them replaced, missing 1mm ceramic is just fine.