PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Alignment Settings

schew
03-12-2006, 07:51 AM
Does anyone here actually specify the settings they want when they get a wheel alignment? If your car is stock, you can find the details in the handbook, but if it's modded, how do you know what the settings should be?

Usually when i take my car into the likes of Bob Jane, i just say i want a 4 wheel alignment. Do they look up the specifics for each car or do they have some general setting they use on all cars?

ECU-MAN
03-12-2006, 08:55 PM
I always tell them what I want it set to. which is the stock settings anyway.

also awlays request a print out of the before and after figures

Slow96GSR
04-12-2006, 09:33 AM
If it's a Hunter system the Alignment Computer will have the specs for all cars, unless it hasn't been updated. You can find the numbers in a shop manual if you want to specify to them what you are looking for.

GEN46L
13-12-2006, 10:57 PM
Does anyone here actually specify the settings they want when they get a wheel alignment? If your car is stock, you can find the details in the handbook, but if it's modded, how do you know what the settings should be?

Usually when i take my car into the likes of Bob Jane, i just say i want a 4 wheel alignment. Do they look up the specifics for each car or do they have some general setting they use on all cars?

I work at Bowers Suspension (http://www.bowers.net.au) and I use a Mondolfo 4 Wheel Thrust Aligner which has all the Vehicle Specs in the Main Database.
I can select the Specific Model, Make, Year and Trim Level and go off that. If the vehicles specs aren't in the Main Database then I use the Autodata CD2 Program to access Wheel Alignment Data and enter it into the Auxilliary Database for future reference.
The machine we use has coloured coded settings. Green when it's within Specs and Red if it's outside specs.
I can align the vehicle to a specific setup you require, but only if the Camber & Caster & Rear Toe is adjustable as standard, or the car has been fitted with After Market Camber and/or Caster Kits.
If you request a Camber/Toe adjustment outside the standard specs then be expected to get unneccessary tyre wear.
The Machine also prints out a Before & After Reading with the Min/Max & Typical Specs for Reference.

schew
14-12-2006, 10:22 AM
I work at Bowers Suspension (http://www.bowers.net.au) and I use a Mondolfo 4 Wheel Thrust Aligner which has all the Vehicle Specs in the Main Database.
I can select the Specific Model, Make, Year and Trim Level and go off that. If the vehicles specs aren't in the Main Database then I use the Autodata CD2 Program to access Wheel Alignment Data and enter it into the Auxilliary Database for future reference.
The machine we use has coloured coded settings. Green when it's within Specs and Red if it's outside specs.
I can align the vehicle to a specific setup you require, but only if the Camber & Caster & Rear Toe is adjustable as standard, or the car has been fitted with After Market Camber and/or Caster Kits.
If you request a Camber/Toe adjustment outside the standard specs then be expected to get unneccessary tyre wear.
The Machine also prints out a Before & After Reading with the Min/Max & Typical Specs for Reference.

Sounds like Bowers Suspension perform quality work with quality tools. I'm just wondering whether most wheel aligners have similar level of tools and information at hand?

Slow96GSR
14-12-2006, 02:00 PM
We had the Hunter 330(?) rack and comp and it did all that. Now we use lasers and mirrors instead of the big on car unit. I hate it! The 330 was a little easier to set up and calibrate.

MaskedAP1
15-12-2006, 04:16 PM
i just done a UK spec S2000 aligment for my car with stock suspension

the UK spec are
front:
Caster Left = 6 degrees 45"
Caster Right = 6 degrees 45"
Camber Left = -1 degree 00"
Camber Right = -1 degree 00"
Toe Left = 0
Toe Right = 0
Total Toe = 0

Rear:
Camber Left = -2 degrees 00"
Camber Righ = -2 degrees 00"
Toe Left = 0 degrees 20"
Toe Right = 0 degrees 20"
Total Toe = 0 degrees 40"

due to the stock suspension, the front caster are none adjustable, so they tired the best to set them at 5.xx FL and almost 5 FR, other were followed the uk spec.