PDA

View Full Version : POWER WINDOWS failure .

EK4R
04-12-2006, 10:10 PM
hey a search nothin really helpful came up.

anyways i reseted my ecu last night and when i had it back on, my passenger side stopped working?? sunroof, driver side all good. any thoughts?

i read in the old post bout power window lock, ek4 even have that?? the fuse wouldnt be broken since other windows work?

destrukshn
04-12-2006, 10:14 PM
check if there is power going to the windows.
it's only 1 wires.
one goes up, and the other goes down.
both positive.
if there is power.
then your motor may have died.
most probably just a coincidence.

EK4R
04-12-2006, 10:20 PM
check if there is power going to the windows.
it's only 1 wires.
one goes up, and the other goes down.
both positive.
if there is power.
then your motor may have died.
most probably just a coincidence.

how i check the wire? rip open my door trim?

destrukshn
04-12-2006, 10:21 PM
yups.
take off your door trim.
find the wires that go to your motor.
should come to a plug.
stick a test light in there then and then put your window up and down.
see if you get power there.

EK4R
04-12-2006, 10:24 PM
cheers mate! u reply fast too lol

how many bolts for the door trim? i only see one in the arm rest gap.

destrukshn
04-12-2006, 10:28 PM
ek's...
there's one in the grab handle (what you just said)
the door handle.
and that's it i think.
and then it's all clips.

but you have to take out the grab handle and take off the door handle before you start ripping off the trim.

not a hard job.
=)

EK4R
04-12-2006, 10:34 PM
cheers +! will do that now

edit: damn cant give ++ ... i gota spread my love lol :(

CRXer
04-12-2006, 10:55 PM
Each window/sunroof is fused seperately in the under dash fuse box,so could be the fuse

EDIT: yeah,it should have a main switch to isolate the passenger window located on the drivers side switches,make sure its on the right setting.

EK4R
05-12-2006, 12:14 AM
Each window/sunroof is fused seperately in the under dash fuse box,so could be the fuse

EDIT: yeah,it should have a main switch to isolate the passenger window located on the drivers side switches,make sure its on the right setting.

which fuse is for which?? i had a read and all the 20amp fuse are fine..

and with regards to window lock. i tried both . nothin.

CRXer
05-12-2006, 12:40 AM
which fuse is for which?? i had a read and all the 20amp fuse are fine..

and with regards to window lock. i tried both . nothin.

sorry dont know the EK fuse box too well,but it should be marked which is which on the fuse cover or somewhere close by.

if u got a multimeter or test light,check your getting power on both metal tabs that stick out the top of the fuse(should be one of the 20A's) with the ignition key turned on.If u got no meter,just swap the fuse for one u know that works.

Also make sure the connector on the drivers side switch has got a good ground,should be 2 black wires going into the connector,check both for continuity to ground.

I thought u could get EK window switches out just by removing the switch/handle thingy not the whole door trim?

If all good,report back for further tests.

EK4R
05-12-2006, 12:58 AM
yups.
take off your door trim.
find the wires that go to your motor.
should come to a plug.
stick a test light in there then and then put your window up and down.
see if you get power there.

which line are you talking about. are these ones highlighted in the box below?

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/5153/p1010263ea5.jpg

EK4R
05-12-2006, 01:00 AM
I thought u could get EK window switches out just by removing the switch/handle thingy not the whole door trim?

If all good,report back for further tests.

well the switch is fine its the power going into the motor i wanna find out. cos both switches (driver or passenger side) works im pretty sure.

mrwillz
05-12-2006, 01:06 AM
in that pic u showed george only one plugs into the passenger side switch? whichever one it is test it. (its jus got 2 wires into it)
but im sure if ur driver one works ( has power) the passenger side will as well. (driver side= master | passenger =slave)

dont mean to b nooby, but check if the on off switch for passenger side is ON. (driver side console)
if not then its ur passenger side motor itself (worse case scenario)

CRXer
05-12-2006, 01:09 AM
off the switch plug should be a blue/red & a blue/white wire leadin down to the motor,thats the plug your lookin for.

EK4R
05-12-2006, 01:15 AM
off the switch plug should be a blue/red & a blue/white wire leadin down to the motor,thats the plug your lookin for.

both of those wires are positive yes? well i tried and no power i dont think. maybe i below something when i re-connected my battery to reset my ecu last night.

what to do now?

CRXer
05-12-2006, 01:31 AM
If u put the switch up,with switch reconnected obviously,& ignition turned on,one wire will read 12v & the other should be continuous to ground.

If u put the switch down the wires are reversed,ie 1st one ground,2nd one 12V.

In the switch(passenger) should be 5 wires,4 will be blue/xxx the other one,think its green/black should read 12v all the time with ignition on.

the wires to the motor should both read 'ground' when no switches are pressed regardless of ignition position.

EK4R
05-12-2006, 09:10 AM
If u put the switch up,with switch reconnected obviously,& ignition turned on,one wire will read 12v & the other should be continuous to ground.

If u put the switch down the wires are reversed,ie 1st one ground,2nd one 12V.

In the switch(passenger) should be 5 wires,4 will be blue/xxx the other one,think its green/black should read 12v all the time with ignition on.

the wires to the motor should both read 'ground' when no switches are pressed regardless of ignition position.

yea well im not testing my switches cos i know they work. so im just testing the two wires connected to the motor shown in this pic below (i have unpluged it)
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/5153/p1010263ea5.jpg

so do i put one positive end into one of the wire and ground the other onto a chassis or plug both to each wire and click on my switch to see if my test light comes on?

Boban
05-12-2006, 10:02 AM
I don't know about your car, but mine doesn't work unless the switch is plugged back in, looking at the pic above, just to the left of the red square you have another plug (i assume that's for the switch), are you using that to open close the window while the trim is off or are you using the one on the drivers side.

I know it's nooby and probably irrelevant, but i've made the same mistake and than wonder why my window doesn't work.

Good luck with it mate

EK4R
05-12-2006, 10:05 AM
I don't know about your car, but mine doesn't work unless the switch is plugged back in, looking at the pic above, just to the left of the red square you have another plug (i assume that's for the switch), are you using that to open close the window while the trim is off or are you using the one on the drivers side.

yea well im not testing my switches cos i know they work. so im just testing the two wires connected to the motor shown in this pic below (i have unpluged it)

i unpluged it unpurpose after i removed the trim so i can test if power is going into them....

and im using driver side switch to open and close

CRXer
05-12-2006, 11:03 AM
I don't know about your car, but mine doesn't work unless the switch is plugged back in

:thumbsup:

U will get nothing at the motor unless both switches are plugged in.

How do u know the switches work if u did not realise this?

U need to be testing grounds as well,hard to do with just a test light.

It is more than likely a switch prob or a fuse u missed.

For the motor plug,MAKE SURE BOTH SWITCHES CONNECTED,operate either switch,at motor plug u will find test light will light up on one wire,operate switch to other direction & other wire will light up.

If nothing test the green/xxx wire on either switch for 12V,ie lights up test light constantly with ignition on,if still nothing check fuses.

If motor plug tests ok start testing grounds at the drivers switch.

EK4R
05-12-2006, 11:22 AM
ok i kinda half get what you said and half still alil confused

so i have to plug the switch back on (highlighted in yellow) ?

do i plug the motor lines back on too ? (highlighted in red box)

where do i plug my test light? into the clips ( in the red box )?

http://img474.imageshack.us/img474/166/p1010263ea5vq0.jpg

CRXer
05-12-2006, 11:33 AM
Yes,plug switch back in,yellow circle

Leave motor unplugged,red box,& test pins in plug,

turn ign on,hold switch one way,touch test light to one pin in plug,it should light up

then switch other way,other pin in plug should light up.

when your doin this,the other pin in the plug that doesnt light up is a ground

mrwillz
07-12-2006, 12:08 AM
wots goin on now georgie

EK4R
07-12-2006, 09:54 AM
well i tried to power test. and plug my switch back in and tested the wires to the motor. dont seem to have any power going through it ?? im not 100% certain if the way i tested was correct. i just pluged my test light + into the clip and other end onto a chassis ? and pressed the switch to see if my light lights up.

is that right?

EK4R
07-12-2006, 09:55 AM
oh and recently my Alarm is being going all gay after this incident with my P/W. cos my alarm is linked to it. and it automatically closes my P/Ws once i lock the car...could any of this be linked?? my alarm still works fine and still locks my driver windows etc.

CRXer
07-12-2006, 10:37 AM
The auto window closer on the alarm is a relay that just works in parallel on only one of the direction wires(ie close only).

Is your window stuck in the down position & u cant get it up?

Sounds like u tested right,but did u operate the switch both ways to see if it lights up with the tester on one wire in the motor plug?

then also put the tester on the other wire of the motor plug & operate the switch both ways to see if u get a result.

Make sure the tester has a good connection on the chassis when your testing by touching the tester on something u know is powered(like a fuse),if the tester lights up u know u have a good chassis connection so leave it where it is & proceed to test the window wiring.

if no power appears at the motor plug then as i said previously,pull the switch off & test the wire that is not blue/xxx(think its green/black) thats the main power feed onto the switch,it should be powered the whole time the ignition is on.If no power here either,recheck your fuses.

EK4R
07-12-2006, 01:16 PM
The auto window closer on the alarm is a relay that just works in parallel on only one of the direction wires(ie close only).

Is your window stuck in the down position & u cant get it up?

Sounds like u tested right,but did u operate the switch both ways to see if it lights up with the tester on one wire in the motor plug?

then also put the tester on the other wire of the motor plug & operate the switch both ways to see if u get a result.

Make sure the tester has a good connection on the chassis when your testing by touching the tester on something u know is powered(like a fuse),if the tester lights up u know u have a good chassis connection so leave it where it is & proceed to test the window wiring.

na my window is fully closed.

i operated the switch both up and down , tester light didnt come on. i did this on both wires connected to the motor in the plug (highlighted in the red box)

if no power appears at the motor plug then as i said previously,pull the switch off & test the wire that is not blue/xxx(think its green/black) thats the main power feed onto the switch,it should be powered the whole time the ignition is on.If no power here either,recheck your fuses.

so do i plug my motor plug back on ? and test the greeb/black wire thats on my passenger side switch (highlighed in yellow box) ? how do i go about it? plug my + line into that wire and chassis my ground wire onto my door?

will try this tonight.

CRXer
07-12-2006, 03:43 PM
so do i plug my motor plug back on ? and test the greeb/black wire thats on my passenger side switch (highlighed in yellow box) ? how do i go about it? plug my + line into that wire and chassis my ground wire onto my door?

turn ign on,

Get your tester,

connect the ground wire on the tester to a good ground.

test the tester is workin properly on something u know is powered such as a fuse in the fuse box,

then touch the tester on the green/black(is it green/black?) in the switch connector(dont worry about motor plug).

Does the tester show that there is power on the green/black?

if no,check fuses

EK4R
10-12-2006, 11:54 PM
ok i tried that just before...test light didnt light up. i think im doing something wrong with grounding the test light.

it has a + and -. i put the + to the wire i want to test for power, where do i plug the - ? ?? can i just put it on my chassis door? or do i need to put it somewhere to complete a circuit ?

destrukshn
11-12-2006, 12:00 AM
so your windows still go up when you arm the car?
or it doesn't?

EK4R
11-12-2006, 12:02 AM
so your windows still go up when you arm the car?
or it doesn't?

my other working windows and sunroof still close wen i lock my car. my other broken/passenger window im unsure because i cant even get it to come down...

CRXer
11-12-2006, 12:02 AM
like i said before,

u need to attach the "-" or ground to a good clean bit of metal that is attached to the chassis.

if your not sure,attach it to what u think is a good spot & touch the "+" of the tester onto a fuse which u know is working(or just try all of them,at least one will be powered all the time)

if it lights up then u know
1. the tester is actually working & not leadin u astray
2. u have found a good ground point

then leave the "-" hooked up to where it is when u found it works & then test the window stuff.

EK4R
11-12-2006, 12:06 AM
^^ oh now i get ya. thanks CRXer
will try tmrw. gona test all the wires even my power rear view mirrors cos i know thats still working so i should get a light in my tester bulb.

destrukshn
11-12-2006, 12:10 AM
okay..
my own personal opinion.

find the auto window wind up module, and reconnect your original wires back for the window that isn't working, becuase if the module fails, your windows won't work. or test it.
well that's in my experience.
and the number of times it's happened, that method has always worked.

CRXer
11-12-2006, 12:14 AM
okay..
my own personal opinion.

find the auto window wind up module, and reconnect your original wires back for the window that isn't working, becuase if the module fails, your windows won't work. or test it.
well that's in my experience.
and the number of times it's happened, that method has always worked.

most of the auto closers are normally closed for the normal operation leg,so the window should work if the relay fails.

but your right the contacts can weld & get stuck on the auto close operation,but then it would work with the alarm.

then theres also the catastrophic failure of the auto closer that could yield any result.

destrukshn
11-12-2006, 12:17 AM
but if it fails, then there isn't a complete circuit?
it's worth a try, but i reckon it should be that.
check it out anyways, quite easy.

CRXer
11-12-2006, 12:29 AM
if it fails while resting in its normal state,ie wont operate, all the normal operation wires are still complete,it just cuts into the 'close' wire goin to the window its operating.

if it fails in its operating state then the close wire is cut,then it will keep winding the window up & either trip the thermal overload on the motor,blow the auto closer fuse or blow the window fuse.if the overload resets or u then replace the fuse then your right the window will not close normally & will also lose its ground for the down operation.

destrukshn
11-12-2006, 12:34 AM
i don't know how much it really works, but from yet again from my exp, even though one window doesn't work, the other still works?

EK4R
11-12-2006, 12:49 AM
lol u guys just confused the crap outter me with that circuit , relay, fuse stuff . im not good at electricts.

destrukshn
11-12-2006, 12:50 AM
hahahaha, okay, i think... THINK, crxer is agreeing with me to
find the window winder module.
and reconnect the wires that have been cut to your window that isn't working.
and then try it.

EK4R
11-12-2006, 01:04 AM
where bouts is the window winder module?

destrukshn
11-12-2006, 01:06 AM
depends where the fitter has installed it.
could be in your drivers side door.
or underneath your dash.

EK4R
11-12-2006, 01:07 AM
lol...gameover. think ill take it to a autoelectrician and get this sorted out.

previous owner installed the alarm i have no idea where it is.

any estimate on costs?

im happy even if i have to disable the alarm on my passenger side so it doesnt auto lock and just have it working again..:(

destrukshn
11-12-2006, 01:08 AM
it's not hard.
they most probably put in the drivers door.
it's wires going to the power window switch which have been cut.

EK4R
11-12-2006, 01:10 AM
it's not hard.
they most probably put in the drivers door.
it's wires going to the power window switch which have been cut.

ok assume i find that, and the bit where the module wires cut into the Power window switch. do i disconnect that or what i do?

destrukshn
11-12-2006, 01:13 AM
no you reconnect the wires that have been cut.

the wires that have been cut, go to the module.

EK4R
11-12-2006, 01:14 AM
no you reconnect the wires that have been cut.

the wires that have been cut, go to the module.

ahh think i get u. probably makes more sense when i see it in person. anyways cheers will post how i go tmrw.

btw what would happen if i reconnect the wires thats been cut? why was it cut ?? will my alarm auto lock still function?

CRXer
11-12-2006, 01:23 AM
the module will most likely be in the drivers door its the easiest place to find the power window wires all in one spot & knowing most installers they would take the easy way.

destrukshn
11-12-2006, 01:24 AM
it was cut for your module to work.
lol.
dw you should be fine.
yes most installers do fit it there.
unless they know the car inside out and know where all the wires are under the dash, which i've seen before.

CRXer
11-12-2006, 01:41 AM
i got one in my door for opening the windows on hot days so i dont have to get in the car & one under the dash with a rain sensor for closing,lol

i also wonder why my car is so slow sometimes:confused:

destrukshn
11-12-2006, 01:44 AM
hms... crxer.. that's a great idea with the rain sensor.
really greatly idea.
i like that.
lol.

CRXer
11-12-2006, 01:56 AM
$25 off ebay for a 4 channel(2 windows & sunroof for me) + rain sensor but think they had a 5 channel available,u can even adjust your windows on accesories so they wont wind up with the alarm to leave them down a little on the hotties & wont wind up again till u go to ign if u gotta make repeated trips to the car like i do.