PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for base upgrades for DC2 VTIR

TheSaint
05-12-2006, 01:07 AM
Hey,

I have searched and trauled the forums and have picked up bits and peices of info here and there but not much definitive stuff.

I want to start adding some stuff to my DC2 VTIR (or take out lol prefer not to though) to make it run a bit smoother cough* faster rofl

Iv read that replacing the sway bars with Type R ones makes a difference for cornering and body roll, and the Type R engine strut brace is a little better.

Besides intake + exausht etc, what small (eg res sox, sway bars, strut brace...etc) upgrades can i do? and do i need to do any other modding to add these peices

Id like some info on the sway and strut bars as a start (how to and what parts do i need) but any other sugestions are welcome =D

cheers

timos_b
05-12-2006, 09:17 AM
sway bars won't improve Your handling that much, better off getting some good suspension then get the sway bars that will make a good difference, intake and exhaust are good first mod maybe headers there lots more you can do it just how much you want to spend.

Slow96GSR
05-12-2006, 10:31 AM
For suspension: Shocks, springs, caster/camber kit, sway bars, bushing kit.

For motor: Cam gears, I/H/E, throttle body, fuel system if needed, cams.

If you have a week or two you don't need the car, a port and polish with new valves, springs, and retainers would be good. While doing the head you could do the bottom end with high or low comp pistons, rings, new bearing, and even rods. Then the motor will be pretty much new and handle whatever you want!

Q_ball
05-12-2006, 10:35 AM
There have been close to 50 billion, (and im not jkin) threads about this topic in the last 6months.
Have a look thru the Noob and Integra forums and you'll find ur answer.

TheSaint
05-12-2006, 07:40 PM
i had a good traul but there was no definition just alot of tecnical jargon, and im all for learning that i juss need to know the basics 1st, now i have a good idea of what i have to chase down.... Type R strut base (cheap and easy upgrade), look into doing the cam gears and than IHE

what cam gears should i buy and how much work are they to put in? what are the differences in them and how it will effect the cars performance?

wlan-11g
05-12-2006, 08:27 PM
lightweight flywheel

czy_sol87
05-12-2006, 08:40 PM
There have been close to 50 billion, (and im not jkin) threads about this topic in the last 6months.
Have a look thru the Noob and Integra forums and you'll find ur answer.
yep these just keep poping up

have a look at the stickies in each section there is plenty of info out there

it looks like ur after handling mods, best start with a set of coilovers, then move from there

Stoosh
06-12-2006, 11:10 AM
I/H/E and instead of camgears, lightweight flywheel

Dylanamus
07-12-2006, 02:40 PM
Spend your first $5k on handling then you'll have a base worth adding power to. :D $3k worth of coilovers, $1k worth of braces, tie bars and sways, $1k worth of bushings (installed). Get stuff second hand and cut the cost in half. First power mods worth doing are header/exhaust/CAI. That opens up your engine allowing it to breathe better and makes you thinking you're going faster then you are due to the beefier sound your new exhaust produces. Another $1200 will get you a heavy duty clutch and lightweight flywheel installed. And you could spend another $5k on your diveline before you even open the engine up. Ask yourself how much money you want to spend on the car in the long run and work backwards. If the answer is like $5k and you don't even have any handling upgrades yet, then there's no point even thinking about lumpy cams and high compression pistons etc

Chuckz
07-12-2006, 03:15 PM
heres a start

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18699

TheSaint
14-12-2006, 09:36 AM
if i change the front + rear sway bar and front strut brace with the ones from a Type - R, will it upgrade the car, or are the VTIR ones the same?

Q_ball
14-12-2006, 06:28 PM
if i change the front + rear sway bar and front strut brace with the ones from a Type - R, will it upgrade the car, or are the VTIR ones the same?

They are different.

T-onedc2
14-12-2006, 06:36 PM
Front sway is 24mm for both VTi-R and AUDM ITR (and JDM '96 spec ITR) however the bushes are likely to be stiffer on ITR. Rear sway bar is 14mm stock on VTi-R, ITR's listed above have 22mm, then JDM '98 spec has 23mm (with front 25mm). Definitely one of the best mods you can do and should be one of the first along with good quality springs and shocks. I have most of these basic mods done to mine, so feel free to pm me with any Q's.

chicken8
14-12-2006, 06:38 PM
get heaps of reservoir socks

they add 3kw each

TheSaint
14-12-2006, 08:27 PM
haha very funny

ill pm u with questions T-onedc2, thanx for the input its the kind of answers im looking for =D

marcus
14-12-2006, 10:48 PM
very basic and best upgrade for vtir is to sell it and get a dc2r .. lol

TheSaint
15-12-2006, 11:49 AM
sweet u can buy it for me and i can invest my original cars worth =D

EG5
15-12-2006, 11:19 PM
get skunk2 intake manifold to replace the vtir intake manifold.
bang for ur bucks

Jamezy
17-12-2006, 01:32 AM
new IM and intake would be my choice. then go for a nice flowing header combined with a 60mm exhaust would be good :thumbsup:

TheSaint
18-12-2006, 08:33 PM
whats with these skunk 2 intake manifold? what do the do/ what are the gains / how much is involved in getting em in and how much do they cost?

is it similar to putting a new intake or exaust on or more complicated?

and is it advised to get ecu 1st or after mods have been done?

shebangs
18-12-2006, 10:56 PM
Exedy HD Clutch $350
Spoon 4.1KG Flywheel $400
Injen Intake $550
5zigen Headers $700
Hondata s200 ~$1000
Mugen Twin Loop $1100

Don't forget your engine cooling.

Someone else can fill in handling if they want. Thats next on my list so I dont have specifics on it, but I believe 24mm Whiteline Sway Bar is a worthy upgrade for < $300. Then Tie Bars, Struts, Bushes and finish with decent coilovers.

Matt

TheSaint
18-12-2006, 11:47 PM
engine cooling?

my list of 'to do' so far...

mugen headers, hi flow cat + bpipe + twinloop (its gona cost but i heard its worth it - prove me if im wrong tho by all means)
type r font strut brace
whiteline 24mm sway bar
upgrade my apexi air intake with a longer cold air induction and newer filter... mugen maybe
face lift *maybe*
look into getting susspension done (coilovers) not sure yet
mugen rear strut (one that goes across boot)
mugen/cusco/whiteline front + rear tie bars
look at getting ecu (again havnt researched this either yet)
HD cluch (dont know wat brand is good - exedy is spose to be a winner)
and fly wheel (mugen or spoon) if i can afford it (is it worth it?)

already have some spoon sox on the way dont worry chicken8 lol

also any parts i pull of the teg are going on to my other baby - white eg gli civic sedan =D