PDA

View Full Version : removing orange peel from respray job (melbourne)

che_ryan
05-12-2006, 12:02 PM
Hi guys,

I had my black euro's door resprayed like 2.5 month back, it was a preety good job i think, but now the more i see it, the more i can see the difference between the door on the other side (original paintwork) and the one that been resprayed mainly because of the orange peel. Its not excesive, but noticable in a certain degree (well at least for me). I was considering to remove it my self but it think i might just leave it to the proffesional hand. Anyone had a recommendation for a good detailer around south melb / city area that can help me to achieve this task?

Do you guys think it'll be possiblle to achieve the same smoothness level (at least same as the original paint work) on that door?

EuroDude
05-12-2006, 12:05 PM
Maybe a Clay Bar will do the trick?

che_ryan
05-12-2006, 12:11 PM
hehe sorry for the lack of knowledge. but what is a clay bar?

h22a accord
05-12-2006, 12:17 PM
It would be best to take the car back to where you got the job done and either get it fixed or repainted.

a clay bar will not remove orange peel. Only a block back with 2000 grit wet sanding followed by a buff and polish by someone that REALLY knows how to buff properly ( ie leaving no swirls on a black car ) will.

is there a life time warranty on the paintjob through your insurance company or does the repairer guarantee all their work.

good luck with it.

che_ryan
05-12-2006, 12:23 PM
hmm i think the insurance has that warranty. Hopefullythe panel beater won't mind if i took the car back after 2.2 month and complaining about orange peel :(

what's the chances do you think of getting it fixed? instead of respray again?

h22a accord
05-12-2006, 12:30 PM
hmm i think the insurance has that warranty. Hopefullythe panel beater won't mind if i took the car back after 2.2 month and complaining about orange peel :(

what's the chances do you think of getting it fixed? instead of respray again?

they will most probably try and fix it before they respray.

che_ryan
05-12-2006, 01:37 PM
thanks lets see what'll happend next :)

cheers

EuroAccord13
05-12-2006, 08:35 PM
Don't use a clay bar, you will just remove more of the already thin layer of paint (resprayed one)...

Like h22a Accord said, you need a 2000grit wet sand paper to sand the paint down and then use a cutter compound and a buffing machine to finish it.. It's not something for the amateur :)

che_ryan
06-12-2006, 09:28 AM
thanks, i definetely won't do that my self :) I'll buzz the panel beater today see what they can do to remove the orang peel.

EuroDude
06-12-2006, 10:09 AM
Have a look at this DIY thread: DIY: Removing "orange peel" from your factory clearcoat. (http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?t=29237)

But its best to leave it to the pro's if you want the job done properly.

che_ryan
06-12-2006, 12:46 PM
euroDude, thanks for the link, but i don't think i'll take the risk...i do lots of paint job with my Remote Control / model car, but not with my euro haha.

Anyway i did speak to the panel beater that did the paint job, they happy to take a look at it and do what they can to fix that, so thats a good news for me.

wish i still have the original paint job, i was so flawless :(

euro1978
09-12-2006, 09:10 AM
They will buff the shit out of it in a hope that you dont bother them anymore.

If you want it done right, it has to be done again. I would give them a second crack and if not satisfied, contact your insurance company.