PDA

View Full Version : dizzy install

bal
05-12-2006, 01:26 PM
recently i have had dizzy problems on my eg civic and was going to get mine reconditioned but instead have bought a new one to save with problems in the future.

i seached for a DIY dizzy install and didnt find much.

is this hard to do yourself or is it best left the pros ?

by the way the engine is a 2000 b16a

Slow96GSR
05-12-2006, 02:13 PM
If you are swapping the same one, not geting one that wasn't for your car, then you will be fine. It's 3 bolts, the rotor only fits one way and then a plug.

bal
05-12-2006, 02:18 PM
well its the same one as in i got the part number that was written on my old dizzy and ordered a new one.

so should i be ok to do it my self?

JasonGilholme
05-12-2006, 02:32 PM
Should be a pretty easy install.

i've never done it but you don't really have to worry about timing or anything because your not moving the cams or anything.

Should be a bolt off bolt on job by the looks of things.

Good luck mate

J

bal
05-12-2006, 02:40 PM
thats good news yeah i wa worried about the timing f**king up.

so will the dizzy only bolt on one way because i have gherd that it can go one 4 ways, is this true?

Slow96GSR
05-12-2006, 03:39 PM
You have to worry about ignition timing but that's easy to set. As far as it going in it's literally a 5 minute job. Once it's on and plugged in just start the car, then loosen the bolts just a little and adjust it until it idles good. Then next time you are at a shop have them set the timing perfect unless there are no issues as it was set.

ECU-MAN
05-12-2006, 10:45 PM
as above.

dont think because you havent moved the cams that the timing will be ok, because it wont.

you have to let the engine warm right up, bridge the SCS and adjust the timing.

bal
06-12-2006, 06:41 AM
hmmm

ok so im getting mixed information again.

whats the SCS? and how do i adjust the timing?

qstoria
06-12-2006, 08:11 AM
id say timing light time Itsuki

bal
06-12-2006, 08:16 AM
do we have one?

EuroDude
06-12-2006, 08:58 AM
good guide I found: http://www.automedia.com/Ignition/Timing/Adjustment/ccr20020501it/1
clicky http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showpost.php?p=913374&postcount=15
timing light: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30814
some more info that may help: http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-trucks/how-do-set-timing-91-honda-civic-44522.html

ps. you can get a timing light at autoone / supercheap etc.., while you are there, grab a Haynes workshop manual for your car, which should tell you how to do it properly.

:honda:

qstoria
06-12-2006, 09:08 AM
do we have one?

nah we dont have one. should get one but

AsH_
25-03-2007, 11:11 PM
how much is a timing gun????

ECU-MAN
26-03-2007, 09:14 PM
$89.95

silver_screen
26-03-2007, 09:21 PM
what u should do before u remove the dodgy dizzy is mark it
mark it on both sides.. one on the dizzy assembly where the top bolts on the head.. the other mark on the head

when u install the new one, try to have it in the same position.. settin the timin with a timing gun is easy. no need to waste ur money going to a mechanic.
if ur in melb i could even help u out

tinkerbell
29-03-2007, 12:31 PM
Should be a pretty easy install.

i've never done it but you don't really have to worry about timing or anything because your not moving the cams or anything.

Should be a bolt off bolt on job by the looks of things.

OK, to clarify why i gave you a neg PQ point for this post, and since you seem to not actually get it (i.e. whinging by PM to me about it):

you DO actually have to "worry about the timing", if you remove and replace the distributor - its position will be changed in relation to the camshaft (and therefore TDC).

the position of the distributor directly controls the ignition timing, not the position of the camshafts.

the advance or retard of the ignition timing is set by moving the distributor: towards the firewall for advance, towards the radiator for retard...

hope this helps :thumbsup:

bal
29-03-2007, 06:31 PM
lol this is an old thread of mine from last year problem has been fixed since i should have updated the thread sorry. but thanx anyway

cheers.