PDA

View Full Version : Gain from I/H/E on D16Y8

Beverman
05-12-2006, 04:24 PM
I have spent the last few days reading the forums, great way to waste time at work ;)

Anyway just a few questions.

I have a D16Y8 engine for future reference;

I have a pod filter on my engine and i have read not only on his forum but other places + word of mouth that it doesn't really do much for performance on stock engines, is this true? So confused.

Also

I have read alot about replacing the Air intake system and Headers + Exhaust some people say its a waste of money for the performance gain, but how much of a gain would you see? does anyone know how well give or take it will effect the overall output?

And

One day i would like to slap on a turbo, That wont be for awhile though and was thinking that if i replaced the I/H/E first and put the turbo on top would it increase performance of the turbo and would it be worth it, i assume that it would be but i wouldnt know :P

Thanks in advance, couldnt find the exact info i was looking for when searching :)

bigjo5
05-12-2006, 06:24 PM
One day i would like to slap on a turbo, That wont be for awhile though and was thinking that if i replaced the I/H/E first and put the turbo on top would it increase performance of the turbo and would it be worth it, i assume that it would be but i wouldnt know :P

you can not just get i/h/e and then bolt on a turbo because it will not fit, as you will need to change the exhasut manifold and exhasut and intake pipes to fit .

czy_sol87
05-12-2006, 06:43 PM
looks like u need to do a bit more searching and reading, but to answer ur first question
replacing the intake will not give u a massive gain, but there will be a noticeable difference in throttle response. the air will flow better + u will get an induction nosie

headers and exhaust are the most basic of mods, they will free up airflow out of the engine

and last
no u cannto put a turbo on to ur N/A I/H/E because once turboed
1. the intake will be connected to a cooler
2. headers will be replaced with a turbo manifold, like headers but designed with a turbo
3. with a turbo u want as much flow out of a exhaust as u can possibly get, which means the bigger the better(more power), N/A exhaust are usually 2", 2.25", turbo exhaust are usually 3" or bigger, but also have been known to be 2.5"

Beverman
05-12-2006, 08:14 PM
you can not just get i/h/e and then bolt on a turbo because it will not fit, as you will need to change the exhasut manifold and exhasut and intake pipes to fit .

Oh yeh, Forgot about that. I am so zoned out these past few weeks.

3. with a turbo u want as much flow out of a exhaust as u can possibly get, which means the bigger the better(more power), N/A exhaust are usually 2", 2.25", turbo exhaust are usually 3" or bigger, but also have been known to be 2.5"

So even the exhaust will be useless, thats something i didnt know. So if i was going to go turbo there would be no point in doing those other things. makes sense.

Thanks

aaronng
05-12-2006, 08:19 PM
I have a pod filter on my engine and i have read not only on his forum but other places + word of mouth that it doesn't really do much for performance on stock engines, is this true? So confused.
If the pod is located in the engine bay, it sucks in hot air instead of the cooler air that the stock airbox provide. That's why the potential gain from the pod intake is rarely noticeable. If you made an airbox to go around your pod on the other hand, you should be able to avoid the negative effects of hot air.

I have read alot about replacing the Air intake system and Headers + Exhaust some people say its a waste of money for the performance gain, but how much of a gain would you see? does anyone know how well give or take it will effect the overall output?
Intake, Headers and Exhaust (I/H/E) are the basic bolt on mods for NA cars. They are the cheapest and easiest way to start modding. Are the gains worth the money? Only if you are satisfied with it. Is 15hp worth $2000?

Like the others have said. You'll need a new I/H to match the turbo, and you would probably have to use a larger diameter exhaust to cope with the airflow.

civic_mods
05-12-2006, 09:42 PM
u can keep your cat back exhaust when the time u go for turbo

and u can also reuse your pod filter except the piping

for what u have now,make a cold air intake or airbox for the pod filter
and change to cat back exhaust 1st

cat back and CAI will give u gains for sure,but don't expect much from it.
as others said,pod filter in engine bay= no good
pod filter with CAI and airbox=good

when u got the balls,go for turbo kit.

Beverman
05-12-2006, 10:35 PM
u can keep your cat back exhaust when the time u go for turbo

and u can also reuse your pod filter except the piping

for what u have now,make a cold air intake or airbox for the pod filter
and change to cat back exhaust 1st

cat back and CAI will give u gains for sure,but don't expect much from it.
as others said,pod filter in engine bay= no good
pod filter with CAI and airbox=good

when u got the balls,go for turbo kit.

Great advice, Thanks. :D So what your saying with the pod is i should either have it cold air inducted or make a custom air box for it to hide in + suck up the air from outside? Sounds logical, I still have the stock air box so i could probably use that, though i think i would prefer making it cold air.

That term sounds funny by the way, when ever is Australia "cold" air :p

Oh and thanks to you too aaronng, didnt see ya there mate. 15hp for $2000, yeh not really huh. lol

civic_mods
06-12-2006, 03:01 AM
Great advice, Thanks. :D So what your saying with the pod is i should either have it cold air inducted or make a custom air box for it to hide in + suck up the air from outside? Sounds logical, I still have the stock air box so i could probably use that, though i think i would prefer making it cold air.

That term sounds funny by the way, when ever is Australia "cold" air :p

yes,probably modify ur stock airbox so that it can fit the pod filter(this is what i done to my car) & also with a cold air intake duct to the airbox
here are some pics to what i had done( u can ignore those heat shield thing if u think they are ugly...lol)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/ch_cky/100-0022_IMG.jpg

Pic with the box cover closed
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/ch_cky/engineinside.jpg

under the airbox
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/ch_cky/100-0025_IMG.jpg

front the front bar
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/ch_cky/100-0026_IMG.jpg

Beverman
06-12-2006, 05:27 PM
yes,probably modify ur stock airbox so that it can fit the pod filter(this is what i done to my car) & also with a cold air intake duct to the airbox

Thanks for the pictures, very helpful, looks like i will be up to no good on the weekend.

muhhan
08-12-2006, 07:28 PM
If contemplating a turbo kit it also depends on the time frame you're looking at. For example, spending $2000+ now on I/H/E for a NA setup and then scraping that in 6 months for a turbo setup is probably not going to be cost effective. To create the same amount of power from an NA setup compared to a turbo setup you'll also be spending a lot more, but there is a lot more to cars and performance than sheer hp.

For an NA car $2000 for 15hp is pretty good. You can't really do anything else for that price to gain that much power. You'll also notice increase in response as well. And you'll be making your car more efficient by using the same amount of petrol to make more power.