PDA

View Full Version : brakes problem

nesh
03-06-2004, 01:34 PM
hey
i have a 3rd gen prelude and yestrday this noise started coming from my front brakes, its as if after i brake the pads dont go back all the way from the disc and they rub on it constantly, anyone know y this is?
thanx

[[d a n n y]]
03-06-2004, 02:01 PM
seems like ur pads r worn...

change ur pads....

Breeze
03-06-2004, 02:09 PM
Most pads have a screamer :P . It is a tang of metal that comes in contact with the disk when the pad gets down to a certain level. It is like a spring and does not damage the disk but tells you to change the pads before they get to a level where it will damage the disk.

nesh
03-06-2004, 03:46 PM
oh ok, thats what i thought but cant you oonly hear them whenyou sue the brakes? cos u can hear mine constantly

joneblaze
03-06-2004, 04:39 PM
No, they basically sound the whole time once "activated". Get your pads looked at and replaced. :)

MTX BOY
03-06-2004, 04:52 PM
Yep its completely normal bro. :)

ECU-MAN
03-06-2004, 08:09 PM
I just bent my squeelers back so I could get another 10k out of my pads :)
CAUTION could risk metal on metal if you know what I mean, squeel turns to scrape

DR HONDA
03-06-2004, 08:25 PM
bending the squealers back only cause more damage as you are applying more braking force due to the extended travel of the piston in the caliper. sounds like your safety comes first

ECU-MAN
03-06-2004, 08:39 PM
the caliper piston will only move in and out the distance of the clearance from the pad to the disc, this remains the same for any thickness of your pads, when the piston moves out due to brake pad wear its initial position is the only thing that changes and your fluid level drops to compensate. there will not be any exccessive caliper or master cylinder piston movement coz the pads have worn. the more your caliper piston is out does not change the force required to push it out onto the pad nor does it give you a longer pedal. as far as i know the braking compound on brake pads is the same from the top to the bottom of the pad, minimum thickness of rotors are the problem. and yes your saftey does come 1st, the above only applys to disc brakes

A'PEXi
04-06-2004, 12:05 AM
lol exactly what happened to us like a week ago, changed the pads and it was gone :D

nesh
04-06-2004, 11:41 AM
ok ill change my pads today

thanx alot guys

Javed
04-06-2004, 02:01 PM
haha, im gonna change my pads today too, anybody wanna tell me exactly how to do it and which pads i need? Thanks

Edit: All is good figured it out, my pads seemed to be ifne so i just applied some anti squeal to the back of the pads.