PDA

View Full Version : tuning an Amp? Gain, Bass Eq, LP filer?

Cold Fusion
07-12-2006, 09:53 PM
hey everyone, i searched on Google and didn't quite find what i was after, so i though id ask here, i got 2 alpine mono block amps running 2 12" subs, what is the best way to tune this? i got 3 settings on my amp...Gain, Bass Eq, LP filer, i got my gain set to about 0.7v and my bass eq is at +6db. the LP filter is at about 90hz...is that good :eek:

thanks

m3ntAL_l2
07-12-2006, 09:57 PM
depends on wot u want really.... just play around with teh settings and find the best bass that suits u and the type music u listen to, dont forget that u can also adjust the setting on ur head unit to make it better.

*in my car all 3 of my amp settings r turned up to teh maX. but i hav -5/6 bass on my head unit and +5 on teh tribe, i liek to hav the amp on teh max so if i want to change anythini can just do it on my headunit so i dont hav to craw to the back everytime....

tRipitaka
07-12-2006, 09:59 PM
http://www.fastfoursforumscarclub.com/temp/fhrxstudios/faq.asp#25

Slow96GSR
07-12-2006, 11:56 PM
^^ That or you get a pink noise cd and a rta (real time analyzer) and do it right. I'm sure there are a few posts here if not I'm sure Google or Yahoo can help.

Just in case... http://www.ehow.com/how_8447_real-time-analyzer.html and http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=572477

Remember the flatter the line the cleaner the sound. If you want/need more bass then adjust for that after you tune for mid and high freq.'s.

Fhrx
08-12-2006, 03:18 PM
That is why we recommend taking it to a professional installer if you're not sure...:)

SiReal
08-12-2006, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the MTX sub marty ;)

I too will be going through the tuning process very soon. same amp.

Cold Fusion
08-12-2006, 04:17 PM
i did take it to a professional to install the amps but i still think that it isnt loud enough lol, i had one amp running the 2 subs be4 and it was hell loud, i then took it to get the 2nd amp put in, and its quieter now...he said he tuned it though but i like it Bassy!

crx88rb
08-12-2006, 06:03 PM
he tuned it low down cause if they are new subs they have to be worn in...you cant just go blowing ear drums staight up cause if you do in the long run you will either bust a sub or not have a much power as another one cause you didnt stretch the cone first. just leave it for a week or 2 then tune it up. if you dont know how to tune pm me ;)

Slow96GSR
08-12-2006, 06:38 PM
Also depends on the box and how he wired it. If you can get that info on the wiring we can maybe tell you if it is wired wrong. He might have wired it for 4 ohms on a 2/1 ohm stable amp, that makes a big difference, less power. Also as crx88rb said it might be low so the subs can be broken in. If you are worried take it back and have them look at it. If you don't trust them go to a different shop.

pizza_boy
14-12-2006, 02:30 PM
i did take it to a professional to install the amps but i still think that it isnt loud enough lol, i had one amp running the 2 subs be4 and it was hell loud, i then took it to get the 2nd amp put in, and its quieter now...he said he tuned it though but i like it Bassy!

if you chuck in separate amp for each sub, that means that you will get smaller impandance in total, for example you have 2 subs together going to 1 amp, and they are 4 ohm each, so in parallel connection you will get 2 ohm impendence for them together, that means if impendence lower, power which goes on them is higher (ohm law), if you split em, you got 4 ohm impendence for each, and power going for each sub is less.
for example pioneer gm-7200 table -
@14.4V 20~240Hz into 4 ohms 250WRMS x 1 (0.5%)
@14.4V 20~240Hz into 2 ohms 360W x 1 (0.8%)

better thing is get 1 high quality monoblock, then 2 good ones, for 2 subs, that way you will get best quality.

I think you need more than 1 monoblock, only if you have different size subs.

pizza_boy
14-12-2006, 02:54 PM
Gain, Bass Eq, LP filer, i got my gain set to about 0.7v and my bass eq is at +6db. the LP filter is at about 90hz...is that good :eek:

thanks

gain is a voltage, more this setting, more power you will get on it.
bass eq, is to increase or decrease power, not sure how it works inside there.
Lp filter is low frequence waves filter.
on my amp you can tune it from 40 hz to 240hz.usual mankind can hear waves from bout 20-40 hz, this are lowest.
you got it on 90 hz, that means that amp will play only waves from 40-90 hz, just low bass, no high, i reckon it's good to set it up like that if you have a 10" or 8" to cover sound from 90-500 hz, it more pumping bass, other stuff is for speakers.
so perfect sound system is which covers from 20 to 22000 hz, or something like that, with good quality sound, than you can really enjoy full range of sounds, almost like nature, forests, waterfalls...

4thGenExi
18-12-2006, 11:11 PM
Your gains too low dude.... 0.7volts is fcuk all. Try using about 2v and see what results that brings. If you're getting distortion then your headunits probably to blame.

I'd set your low pass filter between 70-80hz , anything lower it'll be too boomy and anything higher it wont punch as hard.

Since you turned your gains up, turn the bass EQ down slightly otherwise it'll distort.

Oh whoever tuned your sub is a tool. You dont break a sub in by babying it. Crank that b!tch, wont hurt it one bit.

Cold Fusion
18-12-2006, 11:28 PM
cheers fellas! im gonna crank it haha

tron07
20-12-2006, 10:33 AM
What sort of hu pre-out voltage are you getting?? how do you know its 0.7v? Turning up the gain of the amp will increase the floor noise.

If you crank it up and send a clip signal it will fry the sub... if you dont crank it up and not getting enough power, when you turn up the volume, you could still send a clip signal which can also fry the sub.

tune2look
14-02-2007, 11:09 PM
Here is how I tune amps... (for loudness without sound breaking off)

1) all deck setting as defaults.

2) all gain control on amps to minimum.

3) turn your deck volumn to max.

4) slowly increase the gain until you hit the crispy(??) point.

5) done.

note.

* good head unit should not distort(or produce distort signal) at any volumn. Meaning, its your amp or speaker that cracks all the time.

* unless you are powering tweeter and mid seperately, speakers should be powered at AP.
This is why you need a good component so that network(crossover) can filter what speakers arent capable of...(its not a filter but works out to be...)

# If loudness is not your theme, zero gain will alway produce smoothest sound...

teaseR
15-02-2007, 12:25 AM
Here is how I tune amps... (for loudness without sound breaking off)

1) all deck setting as defaults.

2) all gain control on amps to minimum.

3) turn your deck volumn to max.

4) slowly increase the gain until you hit the crispy(??) point.

5) done.

note.

* good head unit should not distort(or produce distort signal) at any volumn. Meaning, its your amp or speaker that cracks all the time.

* unless you are powering tweeter and mid seperately, speakers should be powered at AP.
This is why you need a good component so that network(crossover) can filter what speakers arent capable of...(its not a filter but works out to be...)

# If loudness is not your theme, zero gain will alway produce smoothest sound...

what u on about dude... its best to turn ur HU up to 75% in volume and keep everything down on ur amp... thats the cross over point. then gradually turn up the gain and filters on the amps. one it hits distortion back off abit and thats the best sound u could ever get. its better to have a powerful amp to run ur speakers where the gain is at 0.

just remember, its better to sacrifice to abit of volume rather than loosing quality!

tune2look
15-02-2007, 01:38 AM

I dont think 100% makes any difference to 75%.
As above, most quality head unit do not send distort noise at any level, meaning, tuning is all up to the amp.
Well.. please correct me if I am wrong since this is how I learn:thumbsup: