PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilt Engine**Solved**

civ_sik
08-12-2006, 07:39 PM
Engine was jus rebuilt.

now it wont idle properly (just about stalls then revs up then just about stalls again, over and over)
and is also running super rich...

any ideas?

thanks

VTi_b0i
08-12-2006, 07:39 PM
need a good tuning i would say?

civ_sik
08-12-2006, 07:44 PM
shouldnt do coz its way off and it should be this far off. last time was okish.

not sure if its relevant... but there a spark that lights up on the bolt that hold the dizzy in place, (when you rev the cars up a spark lights up.) the higher the revs the bigger / brighter the spark becomes.

thanks

VTi_b0i
08-12-2006, 07:47 PM
lol u sure thats safe? was it rebuilt with all stock parts? cause if its got aftermarket parts then i would say it needs a tune, but then again id get it tuned anyways, it will make the engine live longer if its tuned properly/ running at its peak...

EuroDude
08-12-2006, 08:30 PM
A spark on the Dizzy bolt sounds bad. Maybe the Dizzy has malfunctioned and is shorting to the chassis, which would limit the electricity going to the spark plugs and cause idle/rev problems.

Get a mech to test and inspect the Dizzy, and make sure the dizzy is timed (rotated) into position properly.

My Civics Dizzy was badly damaged inside when it failed, maybe yours is in a similar condition.

civ_sik
08-12-2006, 10:35 PM
yeah i think maybe that spark on the dizzy is causing it all just gotta figure out what is causing the spark. dizzy is newish so shoudlnt be damaged in any way. thanks for the replies guys.

STTICH
08-12-2006, 10:58 PM
since this topic is on rebuilt problems..

jst interested to know wat ppl think of rebuilt/re-con engines.. are they reliable after rebuilt? generally how long can it last after the rebulit/re-con?

hope this is not too far off topic :)

civ_sik
09-12-2006, 12:39 AM
i guess it depends on what was wrong, and kms on the engine, how the engine has been reated and what parts are replaced... quality of parts used in rebuild...
heaps of variables.

Bayani
09-12-2006, 05:01 AM
Sounds like electrical issue. Dizzy would've have been rebuilt, would have been internals. Take it back, get it checked out.

I really don't see why you didn't call your mech about this right away.

Slow96GSR
09-12-2006, 05:30 AM
Sounds more like a few things are wrong. If it's not sitting at idle and it's jumping around then I would check for vacuum leaks. Then once you get the idle to sit steady then you can set the timing and fuel.

civ_sik
09-12-2006, 07:26 AM
think it'll be all tired in together as eurodude said. the assembly was done by myself so theres no mechanic to call.... the head and block were bulit by a race shop up here but i assembled the engine so it will be something ive done wrong...

Slow96GSR
09-12-2006, 08:47 AM
But timing will either make it run at a high, low rpm, or not at all, not jumpy like it is. That's more like a vac leak. Make sure all the manifold bolts are tight and the throttle body too. Then check hoses. After you get the idle to settle down you can do the timing properly.

hero
09-12-2006, 05:13 PM
i had a similar issue when i idiotically didnt plug the evap hose through the open and close switch and directly on manifold.. (which should be find at normal operating temp.. just not start up.)
hope it gives u some ideas..

good luck

civ_sik
10-12-2006, 12:12 AM
my current thinking is its something to do with the o2 sensor lol ill check it tomoz. (not the spark. but the running rich and bad idle).

civ_sik
11-12-2006, 10:21 PM
ok its solved, and it was the most simple part ever that was missing...
an o'ring that goes between the map sensor and intake manifold...
thanks for your help.

AsH_
12-12-2006, 06:42 AM
how much did it cost 2 have ur engine rebuilt??

civ_sik
12-12-2006, 12:02 PM
lots considering what was done and the parts i used.lol. b20vtec...

barefootbonzai
12-12-2006, 12:42 PM
willowbank tomorrow man!!!! I'll talk to you tonite.