PDA

View Full Version : Parts needed for CRX turbo?

Ceffo
03-06-2004, 05:06 PM
Hi peeps.. From posts so far in this section on turboing crx's. I have managed to make up a make shift list of parts needed. Im still a novice to how vtec works. (Using a stock internals).. From my knowledge of modding turboed cars do you need the following to turbo a crx 93 model:

- Turbo: td-04/05 (this was suggested a couple of times - Can i run a t28 on it or do the manifolds need changing).
- Wastegate: (run on the internal wastegate? - assuming u running the td-04/05) or do u need a external wastegate?41mm) This is assuming running on under 0.75 bar.
- Intercooler (Im thinking more top mount rather than front - rx7 powerfc style.. otherwise suggestions for size)
- Aftermarket ECU (suggestions needed??)
- Injectors (suggestions needed?? e.g what size?)
(is the crx side ot top feed).
- Full Exhaust front pipes included (Suggest a dump pipe?)
- Airpod
- AFM (Which aftermarket one?)
- Fuel pump (Is this needed or can the standard ones be able to load)

Ok.. correct me if im wrong. If the turbo comes on boost at say 3500rpm and then at say 6000 then how does it affect the vtec which say comes in at 5600rpm?.. From this picture what would the acceleration be like?.. Linear all the way through?..

Thanx in advance.
Cef.

fueltank
03-06-2004, 05:13 PM
what do you mean the turbo leans out? runs out of puff?

Ceffo
03-06-2004, 06:09 PM
what do you mean the turbo leans out? runs out of puff?

Not enough fuel is coming through as compared to air. Hence u might screw the pistons as it gets too hot. I actually edited the list above post now to include a fuel pump and afm. So Ill edit the lean bit out. Majority turbos run rich anyways. (other way around fuel > air).

If u guys need to to clarify any of what i asked please post.. I might not be making any sense. :)

cheers.

cef.

poid
03-06-2004, 06:53 PM
you dont need an AFM, Hondas use MAP sensors. The fuel is controlled by the ECU, when you get it tuned for the larger injectors the car wont be lean and will be as rich as a turbo needs to run.

You shouldnt need a fuel pump if you are just running low boost without internal engine work, but regardless they are under $200 anyway so its nothing major.

Top mounted cooler isnt practical in a Honda, and it isnt as effective as a front mount anyway.

The injectors on all Hondas as far as i know are top feed

ECU-MAN
03-06-2004, 08:47 PM
you could sill use your factory P30 ecu. if it OBDII you could put a OBD I in it.
Boost maps could be added to factory honda ecus. you should also consider a 3 stage map sensor and a diferent fuel pressure regulator. factoy fuel pump should be sufficiant.

one more chance
05-06-2004, 12:27 AM
You didn't mention what engine...i'm assuming B16A.
The TDO4 is fine for your engine...its not too big and has close to zero lag. The T28 is bigger and you will find it difficult to mount in front of the engine...limited space..trust me on that one! ;) The T28 does lag abit and for a B16A it prolly wont come onto full boost til about 3500rpm. Stick with the TDO4...If the rex boys can get close to 200kw@allfours...
then itll be good enough for u....plus theyre cheap and readily available...
U need a turbo manifold regardless of what turbo u use..
u won't need a external wastegate for a TDO4 and only .75 bar (10psi).
If u run big boost with a bigger turbo...then its further the $700 or so investment.
Top-mount 'cooler...why? unless it's a water-to-air cooler..i wouldn't bother...
Ecu- microtech..can't go wrong. LT-8 would be fine. Depending how much power your chasing, you may also need an ignition booster like a MSD Ignition. But Honda's ignition system is pretty damn good as is. If your chasing 260HP plus..then get the MSD. Gives better power throughout the revs and better fuel economy.
Injectors...definitely bigger....and once again depend on how much power your chasing. ITR item maybe ok.
you'll need a custom exhaust. Go 3" from the turbo including the dump-pipe. Any good exhaust shop will do one for ya.
You will need new fuel pump.....more power means more fuel demand..your existing one won't cope. Get an in-tank item.

When vtec kicks in on a turbo vtec....its basicly what u expect...a big swing in power. many turbo vtec drop the vteck kick-in put because tuning gets abit difficult.

after all that...why dont u just get an avo kit..or go to CRD...better to go to recognised tuner instead of umm-ing and ahh-ing about it...because you'll just be guessing...