PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak from crank case?

spetz
10-12-2006, 12:08 AM
Friends car...
Failed inspection and not on the road
He is saving up for a new engine and doesn't want to spend money fixing this one but wants to fix it up just to pass

So, wondering is there a sealant we can use that we put around the crank case to stop oil leaks?
Or, can we just weld it shut?

Keeping in mind this engine is for the rubbish bin once he gets the new one

destrukshn
10-12-2006, 03:22 AM
get some honda bond.
that shit sticks like no tomorrow.
lol.
that should be able to fix it for now, maybe even for good.
but it's a pain if you wanna get it off, most probably damage something if you wanted to take the sump off.

spetz
10-12-2006, 05:41 PM
It'll never be taken off

Is there any supercheap or autobarn thing I can get? Or just from Honda?

how much is this and what is the cost?

Thanks

ECU-MAN
10-12-2006, 06:12 PM
get Pyrteck ultra grey.

15 bucks a tube,

you will have to remove the sump and reseal it and refit it.

spetz
11-12-2006, 03:47 AM
The leak is from the crank case seal
Does this mean I will still need to take the sump off?

With what do I reseal the sump?

aaronng
11-12-2006, 10:05 AM
With what do I reseal the sump?
Read what ECU-MAN posted.

Dxs
11-12-2006, 10:22 AM
he probably means crankshaft seal??

spetz
12-12-2006, 12:38 AM
Yeah crank case seal

So, I use the same stuff for both crank case seal and sump seal?

I assume it all has to come off?
Is this a hard job needing special tooks or just a few bolts and drop it?

marcus
04-02-2007, 06:28 PM
wheres the crank??any pics?

Dxs
04-02-2007, 07:01 PM
yeah i am curious, how did u go with this spetz

aaronng
04-02-2007, 07:01 PM
wheres the crank??any pics?

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/engine2.htm

bennjamin
05-02-2007, 06:39 PM
Yeah crank case seal

So, I use the same stuff for both crank case seal and sump seal?

I assume it all has to come off?
Is this a hard job needing special tooks or just a few bolts and drop it?

you need to take the gearbox off to access it ~ its refered to the main seal located just behind the flywheel connection on the engine block. Its a self sealing plastic ring which you tap in with a mallet etc...when it leaks it drips down between the flywheel cover.
There is one on the opposite end of the crank , located behind the pulley. Same thing and you need to take off the crank pulley to access it

marcus
05-02-2007, 07:19 PM
you need to take the gearbox off to access it ~ its refered to the main seal located just behind the flywheel connection on the engine block. Its a self sealing plastic ring which you tap in with a mallet etc...when it leaks it drips down between the flywheel cover.
There is one on the opposite end of the crank , located behind the pulley. Same thing and you need to take off the crank pulley to access it

hmm... interesting...but i not sure mine from where...all i know is when i bend down and look at the bottom from the left hand side of the car where the left wheel is located...i only could see oil at the black box there...nt sure where the leak is from....

JasonGilholme
05-02-2007, 07:22 PM
picture?

aznsiko
05-02-2007, 07:53 PM
if you only need it to pass the inspection.. dont really matter what you use i spose.. lol.. just get some sealastic... like silicone or someshit.. pass the inspection.. done.. lol.. but keep in mind.. it aint going to last long..

bevis90
05-02-2007, 08:35 PM
its prob leaking between the oil pump and engine that was causing it to leak on mine so just unbolt it and add the sealant

BlitZ
06-02-2007, 03:14 PM

if ya talking about the rear main seal, you are better off buying a new seal.. cant use hondabond there..

If u drive a honda a genuine is $50.. too bad it isnt a honda.. :zip:

is the oil leaking thoruhg the little hole on the bottom of the gbox, where it meets the engine.. ; however this is for a honda.. think u are better off asking someone from the FTO forums

Dxs
06-02-2007, 05:15 PM
yeah
a lot of people think it is the sump..
i presume it is the oil pump or side cover as others have stated (both have arrows)...

http://i9.tinypic.com/2h6dqq1.jpg

edit:
there is rarely any talk about these..
do they often go in hondas?

BlitZ
06-02-2007, 06:42 PM
i have yet to hear many people change oil pump.. but rear main seal should be changed at clutch time

yeah
a lot of people think it is the sump..
i presume it is the oil pump or side cover as others have stated (both have arrows)...

http://i9.tinypic.com/2h6dqq1.jpg

edit:
there is rarely any talk about these..
do they often go in hondas?

green_machine
11-02-2007, 07:49 PM
depend if its engine oil or gearbox oil???wats it smell like??colour?>could b front input shaft seal for gearbox leaking?>

marcus
11-02-2007, 09:38 PM
hmm...hw much does it cost to change the oil pump or rear oil seal or ront input shaft seal
????