PDA

View Full Version : rain water into throttle?

bevis90
10-12-2006, 01:46 AM
wat will happen if rain or shower water gets into your throttle intake..

is there any major problems to be looking out for>.?

BiLL|z0r
10-12-2006, 05:44 AM
Ya, the engine could blow up. Not good so keep it out.

AsH_
10-12-2006, 08:22 AM
bad idea...

Zilli
10-12-2006, 09:02 AM
2,3,4,5 droplets of water wont hurt u, the car might sputter but thats about it

if a litre of water was poured into your intake then you have problems

panda[cRx]
10-12-2006, 09:52 AM
what sort of intake do you have?

as said watter isn't good for the intake but i doubt there is too much danger unless it's like a flood or something and your whole intake is submerged lol

i can't remember anyone on here or any other forums actually getting hydrolocked

aimre
10-12-2006, 11:00 AM
Unless ALOT gets in there, its not bad. Ill back that up with:

1. Some cars have water injection. (to prevent detonation in turbos)
2. Fuel + Air + Fire = CO2 + water + heat

EuroDude
10-12-2006, 01:14 PM
I would rotate the engine manually a few times to drain most of the water out thru the exhaust. The rest will just burn up or evaperate

aaronng
10-12-2006, 02:25 PM
Hydrolock occurs because the volume of water + intake air + petrol exceeds the combustion chamber volume at the full compression stroke. For a b16a with 10.2:1 compression ratio, that volume is 39 ml per cylinder. That is a very small amount. But, if you have water and air together, the ratio of water to air is much lower because of the flow properties, and therefore it won't hydrolock. Thats why you have water injection for turbos.

If you submerge your CAI, that is a guaranteed hydrolock. With CAIs only 30cm off the ground in a lowered car, you must avoid huge puddles.

aimre
10-12-2006, 08:57 PM
as long as its not submerged for ages it sweet. Have u tried to suck water outta straw when its not actually in water, all the water moves to one side and falls out, and lets the air past. unless ur at WOT you should hae a prob. Im not saying you should drive in puddles, but its not as easy to happen as some people make out to be.

aaronng
10-12-2006, 09:36 PM
as long as its not submerged for ages it sweet. Have u tried to suck water outta straw when its not actually in water, all the water moves to one side and falls out, and lets the air past. unless ur at WOT you should hae a prob. Im not saying you should drive in puddles, but its not as easy to happen as some people make out to be.
It should be PARTIALLY submerged. If it is partial, you can get through as you described. but if it is a full submerge like you can get with longer CAIs like the K&N Typhoon on the Euro, it is best to lift your foot off the throttle and coast through the puddle in gear if it is not avoidable.

Fr3aKi3
10-12-2006, 10:43 PM
If the water is at a level in which it can submerge the CAI, is it really a freakin puddle? lol

aimre
11-12-2006, 01:16 PM
If the water is at a level in which it can submerge the CAI, is it really a freakin puddle? lol

Yeah, like if it could fully submerge your CAI... you probly got other problems too. Like water in your doors

I went through a smaller pubble, which shorted my alarm, so i was driving with it whailing

Slow96GSR
11-12-2006, 01:52 PM
God this has been discussed so much on the AEM forums. Go read all those posts. There's like 500 of them. But ya as long as it's not submerged or under most of the way you should be ok. Unless you go full throttle, then some will be sucked up.

JasonGilholme
11-12-2006, 02:21 PM
But still if you do get it fully submerged you need to be at full throttle long enough to suck all that water up the entire length of the intake arm.

I reckon that alone would be impossible for the engine because if you hit a puddle (READ: Flooded road) your car will stop/slow significantly which means your revs will drop therefore reducing/eliminating its ability to suck water up the pipe.

Just remember that water is heavier then air so its gonna be harder to suck up, and its also going through a filter designed for air which is alot finer then a filter designed for water.

aaronng
11-12-2006, 02:45 PM
Just remember that water is heavier then air so its gonna be harder to suck up, and its also going through a filter designed for air which is alot finer then a filter designed for water.
:confused: :confused: :confused:
LOL, take your filter out and look at it.

Even worse for those using k&N filters.

JasonGilholme
11-12-2006, 03:01 PM
HAHA yeah i've seen them before. you can see alot of light through them but still, water will have a harder time getting through there then air would.

Bottom line, IMO, hydrolocking isn't something that people with CAI's should worry about.

aaronng
11-12-2006, 04:28 PM
HAHA yeah i've seen them before. you can see alot of light through them but still, water will have a harder time getting through there then air would.

Bottom line, IMO, hydrolocking isn't something that people with CAI's should worry about.

For places with good drainage, it's fine. For those in Sydney eastern suburbs, there is only 1 place which I've seen a puddle huge enough to hydrolock. It's at the lights before the junction where Southern Cross drive meets General Holmes drive. The left lane floods all the way up to the bumper cavity height. I think it's about 30-35cm worth of water there because of the slight dip in the left side of the lane. Those with lowered cars and CAI, beware.