PDA

View Full Version : what does VAFC or Power FC do in terms of performance???

AsH_
10-12-2006, 09:24 AM
my friend said to me to get a VAFC for my VTEC and have it professionally programmed and after that dont alter the VTEC activation time...

he said it shows details of your vtec...

can any1 help in wat it actually does and its benefits???

and do i really need 1???

stock engine... B16A

Spunkymonkey
10-12-2006, 09:32 AM
VAFC - is an air fuel controller. Controls the amount of fuel and air into the engine (optimising) this so you get better performance.

Power Fc is an ECU. So has more options than the VAFC in terms of tuning.

If you haven't done much to your engine then I would probably just leave as is.

quangsta
10-12-2006, 09:43 AM
like spunkymonkey said...

VAFC will only control fuel and air flow to a certain extent.
i would only use this if i had basic mods and was never planning anything bigger
ie - Intake, Headers a Fully sick exhaust.

Power FC is a fully progammable ECU enabling you to use ignition control, multiple point fuel, boost settings and more. also lets you see moniter water temp, knocking levels, air flow etc...
so i would only use this if your planning to go further then basic mods.
ie - Intake, Headers, Exhaust,Ported head, Cam pulleys, Cam rods, fuel pressure regulator, Pistons etc..

AsH_
10-12-2006, 09:43 AM
thats wat i thought...

its coz i was told by a mech that my car was running lean.. i thought about installing a A/F guage...

wat are the costs involved for a VAFC???

Spunkymonkey
10-12-2006, 09:50 AM
thats wat i thought...

its coz i was told by a mech that my car was running lean.. i thought about installing a A/F guage...

wat are the costs involved for a VAFC???

buy the VAFC can cost from $200 for an old one to about $500 new. Plus pay a tuner to tune for you will probably cost another few hundred.

I yanked my SAFC off years ago and sold it. Also found that the tune reset itself after a while - meaning you need to get it tuned again lol.

AsH_
10-12-2006, 11:05 AM
reset??? pay for a another tune???

its like buying expansions for online gamez...

just gotta keep spending $$$ 2 keep it going...

locote
10-12-2006, 12:10 PM
just get a powerfc and run the stock built in Apex'i map youll feel a difference imediatly.

AsH_
10-12-2006, 12:40 PM
no need 4 a tune???

CRXer
10-12-2006, 01:01 PM
no need 4 a tune???

yes,def need for a tune.

apexi dont know what state your engine is in or where ur mods are at when they calibrated that base map.

they are assuming u have a well maintained,close to stock engine & if this is your engine then all good it will prob run fairly safely but prob wont reach its full potential if not given the individual tuning it needs.

CUL8R
10-12-2006, 01:13 PM
lol if u get an A/F guage u cant get a narrowband one....so get ur hands on a wideband with a display....looking at about 5-600

AsH_
10-12-2006, 01:23 PM
wow, so much...

wat brands might be good???

i kno brands dont really matter...

CUL8R
10-12-2006, 05:29 PM
just so ull be able to search for it i have a PLX M-300
then i think apexi make them too

i never really went past PLX because its actually a straight plug into my S300 ecu so i can do some basic tuning myself with lambda tracing ect.

saxman
11-12-2006, 06:35 PM
http://wbo2.com/default.htm for a wideband

JasonGilholme
11-12-2006, 06:37 PM
my friend said to me to get a VAFC for my VTEC and have it professionally programmed and after that dont alter the VTEC activation time...

he said it shows details of your vtec...

can any1 help in wat it actually does and its benefits???

and do i really need 1???

stock engine... B16A

Couldn't be bothered reading the thread.

I will say this tho: Your car, and its VTEC, was professionally programmed by honda.

That is all.

TheSaint
12-12-2006, 09:10 AM
wats the best VAFC/ECU combo for b16 or a b18? or each individually

alot of pl juss tell me to go with ecu on its own

JasonGilholme
12-12-2006, 09:18 AM
The best way to extract the most power out of any engine is to go with a full, standalone, fully programmable ECU and then use a tuner that has plenty of experience with that ECU as well as the type of car.

saxman
12-12-2006, 01:02 PM
the vafc should never be used, imo. It's a fancy gauge that doesn't offer nearly enough to be used to alter how the engine performs with great success. A tunable ecu, be it chipping the stock ecu with crome/hondata/uberdata, etc, or a standalone set up are vastly superior choices.

civic_mods
13-12-2006, 03:13 AM
Power Fc is an ECU. So has more options than the VAFC in terms of tuning.

If you haven't done much to your engine then I would probably just leave as is.

a Power FC will definitley give u some gain even the engine with basic mods