PDA

View Full Version : 2006 VTi Civic - Speaker Covers

DamienS
10-12-2006, 10:01 AM
Hi all,

Just picked up a new Silver Auto VTI Civic on Saturday and already thinking of changes. I am looking to replace the OEM speakers with something better.

Can anyone tell me how the rear speaker covers come off, I have had a good look and the cover appears to clip off but i tried gently to pry it off but no luck. I dont want to break the clip so any suggestions would be appreciated.

Whilst on the subject, do the front speaker covers come off as well or does the whole door trim need to come off first?

xiaohung
10-12-2006, 04:46 PM
the rear speaker basically u need to take off the whole parcel at the back,it's a bit hard to pry them off u need a bit of torque, there's a chance the clips will break.

for the front covers, the whole door trim need to come off, as the covers are parts of the door trim.

hope that helps

DamienS
10-12-2006, 06:32 PM
cheers thanks for that I will give it a try.

xiaohung
10-12-2006, 06:41 PM
good luck :)

Fr3aKi3
10-12-2006, 10:41 PM
the rear speaker basically u need to take off the whole parcel at the back,it's a bit hard to pry them off u need a bit of torque, there's a chance the clips will break.

for the front covers, the whole door trim need to come off, as the covers are parts of the door trim.

hope that helps

A bit of torque? :confused:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque

Have a look in the boot and see if there are any clips which you can squeeze and push/nudge out, do this first before you decide to just yank out the rear parcel shelf.

wassup
11-12-2006, 08:10 PM

hope that helps

The rear speakers are accessible by removing each panel, its does not require you to remove the whole parcel shelf.

The speakers are clipped into the shelf on one side and theres a really long screw on the other.

If you look from the outside you should be able to see a small slit at each grill... a small flat head screw driver in that slot and alittle pressure will lift the panel out.

DamienS
19-12-2006, 07:58 PM
Finally got around to taking the back covers off, thanks wassup, they do come off very easily once you find the spot where they pop up.

Underneath I found some very crappy 6 inch speakers, just begging to be replaced :p

Now I just need to find some good replacement speakers. I thought about using some aftermarket amps but I dont want to have to run the power cabling through the car so I will just stick with the standard power from the head unit.

JaCe
19-12-2006, 08:20 PM
I've still got stocks in the rear.. planning to make the change whenever I get round to it. As I said somewhere else... I always thought front 2 speakers + sub would be enough, but then after trying out a sound system where both front/rear had been upgraded... wow.

DamienS
19-12-2006, 08:24 PM
my only concern is that using the standard power will not bring great results even after upgrading the speakers.

Perhaps someone could tell me otherwise?

denot
20-12-2006, 02:13 PM
my only concern is that using the standard power will now bring great results even after upgrading the speakers.

Perhaps someone could tell me otherwise?

very true indeed... I think its a lot better if we install a 4 chnl amp to the new speakers... btw, any1 notice that the "tweeter box" is empty?

nemes|s
24-12-2006, 04:34 PM
Hey guys, just got a pair of new rear speaker and tried to DIY them. Ive managed to get the covers off n all and gotten to the part where i just need to connect the wires to the speaker. I know this might sound like a stupid question but does anyone here know which wire is positive n which is negative? Theres a brown n white wire if that helps explain it a lil more. Ive searched through the forum n found some stuff on DIY installation of speakers but nothing thts really specific to the 06 civic. Right now my cars running on just the two front speaker cos i dnt wanna risk connecting the wires to my rear speakers the wrong way around.

I know its sorta a noob question but its my first car and first car DIY.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

JaCe
24-12-2006, 09:50 PM
very true indeed... I think its a lot better if we install a 4 chnl amp to the new speakers... btw, any1 notice that the "tweeter box" is empty?

Asian models have tweeters.

DamienS
26-12-2006, 02:34 PM
Install some Sony 2 way speakers in the rear, wow what a difference over the standard, vrey happy at the difference, and they were on special for $52, even better.

The fronts will get replaced soon enough as well.

nemes|s
26-12-2006, 11:07 PM
Install some Sony 2 way speakers in the rear, wow what a difference over the standard, vrey happy at the difference, and they were on special for $52, even better.

The fronts will get replaced soon enough as well.

Did you DIY them or get them installed by someone?

DamienS
27-12-2006, 12:09 PM
Did you DIY them or get them installed by someone?

I DIY it. I have been doing this to my own cars for a while now. Because the way the stock setup works the speakers had to be raised a little so I used 6mm MDF to create a nice riser. Still fits perfectly under the factory covers though.

And I sprayed the MDF risers with a black paint so you cant see them through the honda speaker covers, in fact very difficult to see that they are aftermarket speakers under the covers anyway.

nemes|s
27-12-2006, 03:07 PM
I DIY it. I have been doing this to my own cars for a while now. Because the way the stock setup works the speakers had to be raised a little so I used 6mm MDF to create a nice riser. Still fits perfectly under the factory covers though.

And I sprayed the MDF risers with a black paint so you cant see them through the honda speaker covers, in fact very difficult to see that they are aftermarket speakers under the covers anyway.

That's cool, then you wouldnt happen to know which of the stock wires are positive n negative would ya?

Trying to DIY it, first time doing it and I dnt wanna screw up the wiring.

Thanks.

JaCe
07-01-2007, 01:21 AM
Haha I wanna read this thread now... i want to put AM speakers in without amping.. just want something better than stock since the rest of my car has been improved. Tips/tricks for doing the isntall? Also wondering about the wiring question.

Planning to go JBhifi and just buy some speakers and try to figure it out.

EDIT: ALSO.. found this on 8thcivic- http://www.8thcivic.com/DIY/speaker-install/rear_speaker_install.html

DamienS
07-01-2007, 07:00 PM
That's cool, then you wouldnt happen to know which of the stock wires are positive n negative would ya?

Trying to DIY it, first time doing it and I dnt wanna screw up the wiring.

Thanks.

Sorry for taking ages to respond.

Left

Grey +
Brown -

Right

Blue +
Orange -

Tips/tricks for doing the isntall?

As mentioned I made a small riser but that could depend on what brand you use and the physical dimensions of the speaker.

JaCe
07-01-2007, 07:36 PM
Thanks. I'm going to try my luck and get some low-power/high sensitivity coaxials from JB Hifi.

nemes|s
08-01-2007, 12:00 AM
Sorry for taking ages to respond.

Left

Grey +
Brown -

Right

Blue +
Orange -

As mentioned I made a small riser but that could depend on what brand you use and the physical dimensions of the speaker.

Thanks for the info, helped alot. And Yeah, i put in a couple of spacers cos i figured bolting the speakers straight onto the body would cause vibrations and problems in the future. =)