PDA

View Full Version : ** HELP ** ABS warning light

1900-hustler
10-12-2006, 10:39 AM
i was driving home just then and i came out of a roundabout in 2nd gear and pushed the car to about 4500rpm. when suddenly i heard a 'popin' or cracking sound from the front ..

as soon as i heard that the ABS warning light engaged..

now is there anyway i can check for myself wat possible problems are.. i checked the handbook and all it said was take it to a mechanic.. but i was wondering if there was any thing i can look for .. seeing its a sunday theres no one open anyway and ive got work all week..

any help will be greatly appreciated..

regards
gary

CRXer
10-12-2006, 11:17 AM
code check

short SCS,turn ign on & report the number,frequency & duration of flashes of the ABS light

ECU-MAN
10-12-2006, 06:01 PM
as above, checking the fault codes in the ecu is the best place to start.

1900-hustler
10-12-2006, 08:05 PM
yea i jus did an ecu check. and i got code 13 ( a long beep.. then 3 short ones.)

after goin thru the thread im not so sure its right.. cos it was my ABS light flashing and not the CEL one..

so can anyone tell me wat it is.. ?

cheers

Slow96GSR
10-12-2006, 08:32 PM
Here you go bud...

Here's a Honda one from H-T, don't know if it's right but who knows!

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?cmd=print&id=978933

and one from Team Integra

http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/showArticle.asp?ArticleID=493

and

http://www.babcox.com/editorial/bf/bf2028.htm

and/or

http://members.aol.com/carleyware/library/abscodes.htm

Hope that helps.

ECU-MAN
10-12-2006, 09:11 PM
not sure if your car has the high pressure or low pressure ABS system,
code 1-3 is high pressure leakage

have a good look at your ABS unit and its lines, make sure nothing is leaking. could also be an internal leak in the ABS unit ( one of the valves ) or the pressure switch isnt working

1900-hustler
10-12-2006, 10:03 PM
is the code 1-3 or 13.. im abit confused.. i was lookin at the links that slow96gsr gave from the following link..

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?cmd=print&id=978933

13 - wheel senor (open/short to body ground/short to power) FL

ohh btw i forgot to mention the car is a dc2r if that helps wit the error codes..

not sure if your car has the high pressure or low pressure ABS system,
code 1-3 is high pressure leakage

have a good look at your ABS unit and its lines, make sure nothing is leaking. could also be an internal leak in the ABS unit ( one of the valves ) or the pressure switch isnt working

il have a look tomorro wen i come back from work.. in the mean time should i jus not drive it? its not goin to leave a crapload of fluid in my garage issit? haha

regards

gary

Slow96GSR
10-12-2006, 10:24 PM
I really can't tell you. I haven't done the cel/abs light check for years. I have scan tools that do all the work for me. There is a link in my other post that tells you how to read the light. I just don't have a lot of time to read it or to think and remember.

It looks as though it has to do with years. 1994-1997 would be 1 3(1 3 high pressure leakage) and 1998+ would be a 13(13 - wheel senor (open/short to body ground/short to power) FL). If you have a 1997 or older I would park it and see if there are leaks. If it's a 1998+ I would pull the wheel and look behinf the brake rotor where the wheel sensor is for a broken wire.

CRXer
10-12-2006, 10:39 PM
yeah,its a FL wheel sensor,think the ECU-MAN was X-referencing the form guide or somethin at the same time lol.
EDIT:sorry 1-3 is the older system code for HP leakage:o

sounds like what u described anyway.

get under the FL wheel & see if the sensor is still bolted in place &/or the wiring is still intact & not hangin loose.

1900-hustler
11-12-2006, 12:35 PM
yea il have a look at it wen i get home later from work and give an update on the status..

thanks to everyone for helping out.. :thumbsup:

regards
gary

JDM96R
14-12-2006, 09:35 PM
I recently just had an ABS problem in my itr. It was throwing code 14 and it was an accumulative leakage. So i bought myself a second hand accumulator in good working order and got that installed and problem was fixed.
Hope this may help

1900-hustler
17-12-2006, 10:21 AM
I recently just had an ABS problem in my itr. It was throwing code 14 and it was an accumulative leakage. So i bought myself a second hand accumulator in good working order and got that installed and problem was fixed.
Hope this may help

i had a look at it over the weekend and couldnt find anything out of the ordinary.. i cant see anthin leaking? or issit not so obvious.. how would i kno if its the same problem ..

thanks

ps i took it to a mechanic and he said u should try resetting the ecu.. and see wat happens... should i try this.. or take it to someone else..

JDM96R
17-12-2006, 05:00 PM
i had a look at it over the weekend and couldnt find anything out of the ordinary.. i cant see anthin leaking? or issit not so obvious.. how would i kno if its the same problem ..

thanks

ps i took it to a mechanic and he said u should try resetting the ecu.. and see wat happens... should i try this.. or take it to someone else..

Nah you cant really see it leaking anywhere. What I did was, I took it to a place where they have a code scanner/clearer, and they first of all will find out what code is coming up, then they clear they code from your ECU. Then you have to drive around until the ABS light stays on again, take it back and they scan it again to make sure that the same code is coming up and then they will be able to tell you exactly what your ABS problem is and what needs to be done to fix it.

1900-hustler
18-12-2006, 01:38 PM
hah.. i finally got the problem fixed..

took it to hannys today and it turned out that my alternator belt was worn .. and pieces shreaded off.. one of the pieces cut the ABS wire , triggering the abs light..

so yea.. good thing that it set it off.. could have done alot worse..

but yea anyways got the pink slip, green slip and rego done all today..

so another 12 months of enjoying my car..

thanks for all those that helped..

regards

gary

Kazaf
15-01-2007, 03:00 PM
Mine lit up last night while waiting in KK drive thru.. should I take it to hanny's to get it checked out? :(

ECU-MAN
15-01-2007, 03:29 PM
if you dont know much about cars then yes you should