PDA

View Full Version : Advice on superwhite bulbs

XXpl0Sive
06-10-2003, 02:35 PM
If I wanted to replace my headlights and driver lights (the ones at the bottom of the front bar) with those superwhite bulbs, what brand should I be looking for? and where should I buy from (eg. which shop, or website).

LatinoHatchCrap
06-10-2003, 02:45 PM
any auto parts dealer has them they range from 20buxs-200 buxs
cheers

joneblaze
06-10-2003, 05:55 PM
If I wanted to replace my headlights and driver lights (the ones at the bottom of the front bar) with those superwhite bulbs, what brand should I be looking for? and where should I buy from (eg. which shop, or website).

Philips "Blue Vision" bulbs. Rrp $69.95 or so, and come with bonus free little parker wedge bulbs (the bottom lights). Not the superwhite but very bright and clear. You'll want the HB4 (9006 lowbeams, 9005 hi's) globes. I got mine from Autobarn in Chatswood. Not the ricey white or blue colour, looks very clear and sharp at night, and apparently they last for a hell of a long time... few yrs?

either that or go to Autojoy in castle hill or parra and grab a set of the PIAA superwhite or white ones, although u'll pay quite a premium at $13X.XX..... i hear they're good too... oh yeah, and also the Polarg ones. hope that helps.
also, if u get those, u'll have to spend more on the parkers, and unless u get the same brand and colour for the parkers, ur lights will look a little bit out of sorts when both on at nite...
jon

ginganggooly
06-10-2003, 06:01 PM
if you want some extra brightness, get hb3's for your low beams and cut them down to fit in. it only takes a few minutes to do the job, and they seem to give out a bit more light.

i use the narva arctic blue lamps (they aren't really blue), no coimplaints.

joneblaze
06-10-2003, 06:06 PM
if you want some extra brightness, get hb3's for your low beams and cut them down to fit in. it only takes a few minutes to do the job, and they seem to give out a bit more light.

i use the narva arctic blue lamps (they aren't really blue), no coimplaints.

hey slim are the HB3's the 9006 hi beams?

http://www.eur.lighting.philips.com/automotive/us/html/products_bluevision_types.html

u use them as ur low beams?

ginganggooly
06-10-2003, 06:39 PM
nah... 9005 = hb3 = high beams, 9006 = hb4 low beams.

but, i modified the hb3 bulbs i bought to fit into the hb4 sockets. the reason being, that 9005 bulbs do not have the painted tips and are higher wattage bulbs. they do seem to give off more light than 9006 bulbs of the same or higher wattage.

my friend's white vti-r has some 80w 9006's, he parked next to me against a wall a while back. i noticed that his lights didn't seem to give out as much light, or as intense a light as my 60w 9005 globes.

joneblaze
06-10-2003, 06:54 PM
nah... 9005 = hb3 = high beams, 9006 = hb4 low beams.

but, i modified the hb3 bulbs i bought to fit into the hb4 sockets. the reason being, that 9005 bulbs do not have the painted tips and are higher wattage bulbs. they do seem to give off more light than 9006 bulbs of the same or higher wattage.

my friend's white vti-r has some 80w 9006's, he parked next to me against a wall a while back. i noticed that his lights didn't seem to give out as much light, or as intense a light as my 60w 9005 globes.

yeah sorry, thats what i meant... 9005. cool. well thats another idea to consider. good luck xplosive... let us know what u end up with and how u go with it

A'PEXi
06-10-2003, 09:29 PM
i use to use polarg, they arnt bad :)

Jim80y
06-10-2003, 09:52 PM
Using PolarG too, matches my HIDs quite nicely :D

Tofu
06-10-2003, 11:05 PM
using Raybrig for my parkers...
they are quite white..but compared to my friend's hid, they look yellow because his hid is farking blue...

i've seen a few PIAA purple looking light bulbs on skylines and they look just like the HID on BMW, Lexus and Mercs...
very nice...

:D

fried
07-10-2003, 12:06 AM
ok,, i have the same as jons PHILLIPS Blue Vision, by far they are NOT blue, or even WHITE like heck, but they are whiter than ur average. compared to all the nice newer HID systems, and white and blue lights out there, they come far off... but they are still nice for what they are.

slim, i swear ur lights are like greenish or something, or some wierd neon black light cept with a green tinge.

theres a shop on sussex street appearently sells good overseas stuff, silver lights, and appearently are good for nice white lights. forgot what its called or where exactly on sussex in sydney cos jons flogged off with my magazine with the ad in it.

ive heard u can get white lamps from dodgy asian countries for around 20$ all up to the hundreds for jap made ones, so have a good look around man!

good luck!

eric.

ginganggooly
07-10-2003, 12:09 AM
nah, i changed my ones... don't have the blue ones in anymore.

XXpl0Sive
07-10-2003, 12:29 AM
Thanks Guys...
I think you mean SRSAuto?

I got a gearstick from them took 2 weeks to get it in, I wasn't impressed :roll: but he gave me a free keyring to compensate lol

Calvo
07-10-2003, 01:08 AM
watchout aswell man, coz if u use aftermarket bulbs that have a tinge of colour in it, even the SLIGHTEST little bit, they can defect u for it if they feel like it.
2 of my friends were lucky and both got warnings. so yeh.
if it comes stock like the BMW's and them, its ok.
if its just white its fine.

joneblaze
07-10-2003, 01:30 AM
watchout aswell man, coz if u use aftermarket bulbs that have a tinge of colour in it, even the SLIGHTEST little bit, they can defect u for it if they feel like it.
2 of my friends were lucky and both got warnings. so yeh.
if it comes stock like the BMW's and them, its ok.
if its just white its fine.
....yup. which is why im happy with the non colour affected Philips bulbs. very clear and sharp... looks whiter compared to regular cars, but shat on by bluish aftermarkets or HID's.... remember, Rice is Nice, but not if u have to pay defect... lol

ginganggooly
07-10-2003, 08:02 AM
narva lamps are good. well... they have "ADR approved" printed on the package.

EG_2_TEG
08-10-2003, 01:47 AM
I use Hella Cool Blue's
cost me $30 from Auto One:

http://www.integrated.org.au/oas/imagepages/image14.htm

now i need to get new parking lights :(
tried a pair of LED's which produced a blue light. put the stockies back in, cos i didn't wanna risk a canary

any idea's?

XXpl0Sive
08-10-2003, 10:17 AM
Actually I've changed my mind, I want to just get the parking lights now. :wink:

Any ideas?

SiR
08-10-2003, 03:18 PM
I use Bosch ones. Exact details, I don't remember but they're white with a hint of purple. Looks very similar to the HID's you find on Mercs, BMW's and Audi's.

Civic Si
08-10-2003, 10:18 PM
Actually I've changed my mind, I want to just get the parking lights now. :wink:

Any ideas?

I've been using Polarg Hybrid R park lights now, and haven't look back! :wink:

EG_2_TEG
08-10-2003, 10:30 PM
I've been using Polarg Hybrid R park lights now, and haven't look back! :wink:

hey Civic Si, where bouts can u get those globes?

cos i dunno whether i should try these ones
http://www.modyourcar.com.au/images/west/m4.jpg

all I want is nice white parking lights :)

Civic Si
08-10-2003, 11:55 PM
These are da one's I'm usin...

unfortunately these will have a slight blue tint, so these might not b wat ur after?

All park lights I've eva bought have a blue tint! These globes last longer than some other types I've bought be4! :D

Redteg
09-10-2003, 09:22 AM
EG_2_TEG: I've experimented heaps with parking lights to get something which is close to white. The pair you have shown looked fairly blue to me, also they emit a pretty dull light (i'd assume because of the blue tinting). LED lights from SRS were also blue, although not as blue as the tinted bulbs. Both sets cost $20, both are sitting right here unused.

I bought Narva Arctic Blue's and they are perfect. Not too pricey ($10), I decided to buy all the stock they had for spares!

If you wanted pure white you could always go to Jaycar and get a LED kit. You buy the wedge adapter "circuit board', as well as any colour led's you like, in your case white (clear). Then all you have to do is solder them on. I am yet to try this, but it sounds good. Only problem would be the suitability of LED's as parkers.

ginganggooly
09-10-2003, 09:39 AM
woah there!
$10 for a parker??
or $10 for a driving light??
as far as parking lights go, that is pretty if you consider that a normal bulb is $1 :)

XXpl0Sive
09-10-2003, 09:40 AM

unfortunately these will have a slight blue tint, so these might not b wat ur after?

All park lights I've eva bought have a blue tint! These globes last longer than some other types I've bought be4! :DWas there supposed to be a picture attachment mate?

Redteg
09-10-2003, 11:24 AM
10 bucks for 2 parkers ginganggooly; which is pricey when comparing to the normal ones, but cheap when comparing to ricey ones.

My front indicator bulbs were $40! Made by philips, they look rainbowy but blink amber... very hi tech

XXpl0Sive
09-10-2003, 12:06 PM
Is it possible to grab some pictures of your cars at night?
Thanks

joneblaze
09-10-2003, 04:33 PM
10 bucks for 2 parkers ginganggooly; which is pricey when comparing to the normal ones, but cheap when comparing to ricey ones.

My front indicator bulbs were $40! Made by philips, they look rainbowy but blink amber... very hi tech

u got the Amber Visions? how do they go? ive got the Blue Vision bulbs for my low beams.... not blue as all, not even white, but clearer and brighter.....

Civic Si
09-10-2003, 10:15 PM

All park lights I've eva bought have a blue tint! These globes last longer than some other types I've bought be4! :DWas there supposed to be a picture attachment mate?

Sorry, :oops: the pic that EG_2_TEG posted... :)

EG_2_TEG
11-10-2003, 12:13 AM
hey Civic Si

i've figured out that cos ur parkin lights are within ur headlights, u can get away with havin slightly coloured parkin lights. :wink:

with the G3 tegs, any colour difference is too noticeable between da headlights and parkin lights.

Redteg, now u have me deciding narva's vs Jaycar :D

Redteg
11-10-2003, 08:04 AM
EG_2_TEG: Thats exactly right; if our parking lights were slightly blue or even yellowy there would be no problem, but since they have to light up their own housing its hard to get something which looks good. My parking lights are next to low beams, so they have to match, otherwise it looks plain silly.

I think I'd try the Narva's first since they'd be cheaper, but the Jaycar LED's will last you forever.

I'll try to get pics of my lights tonight.

Civic Si
12-10-2003, 09:00 PM
hey Civic Si

i've figured out that cos ur parkin lights are within ur headlights, u can get away with havin slightly coloured parkin lights. :wink:

with the G3 tegs, any colour difference is too noticeable between da headlights and parkin lights.

I reckon that da Jaycar parkers will b da whitest! 8)