PDA

View Full Version : Amp Install

GIPONU
11-12-2006, 04:23 PM
Hi people. I have this sony amp, and i have 1 RCA at the back of my sony head unit. Any ideas how to use the complete 4 channels? cos the amp has 2 RCA and my headunit only has 1. and i have 2 RCA cables which came with the wiring kit.

http://h1.ripside.net/GIPONU/Amp1.JPG
^^ now thats a real pic of my amp.

Headunit is Sony CDX-GT250S, Amplifier is Sony XM-SD14X

destrukshn
11-12-2006, 04:25 PM
use rca splitters, though you lose clarity when you do that.
the splitters will be 1 female going to 2 male connectors.

GIPONU
11-12-2006, 04:37 PM
u reckon i could use 1 RCA cable connect it from the headunit, and on the amp side. connect the red onto one side and the white into the other side? (side meaning the front and rear channels)

destrukshn
11-12-2006, 04:39 PM
no you can't..
well you can kinda.
that just means, you'll have 1 front left working and one 1 rear right working.
or vice versa.

you might as well use rca splitters on the amp side.
it won't make too much of a difference in your case.

GIPONU
11-12-2006, 04:42 PM
lmao yeh.. i just bought the amp and wiring..haha, cost me like $264 all up. u have any idea how much the splittler RCA cables cost? approx?

Rasputin
11-12-2006, 04:44 PM
Sometimes amps will 'mirror' the signal if only one RCA set is connected.

i.e. on my 5 channel amp, you only need to have the fronts connected, but the signal will be shown on all channels. The only downside is that you lose adjustability like fade.

See if this works first.

destrukshn
11-12-2006, 04:44 PM
about $10 each.
you'll need 2 of em.
1 female into 2 males.

destrukshn
11-12-2006, 04:45 PM
what amp are you running rasputin?

GIPONU
11-12-2006, 05:07 PM
about $10 each.
you'll need 2 of em.
1 female into 2 males.

wait.. why do i need 2 of them? i thought the cable ur talking about is like a Y-connector? which only requires one.. which comes out of the head unit and into 2 rca's in the amp :confused: now im lost..lool

destrukshn
11-12-2006, 05:12 PM
1 set for the red
1 set for the white.
get what i mean?
it is a Y connector.

there is 2 ways you can do it.
run 1 set of rcas to the amp and split them there.

or split it from the head unit, and run 2 sets of rca's to the amp.

GIPONU
11-12-2006, 05:13 PM
Yeh,, the RCA cables that came with the kit are.
http://h1.ripside.net/GIPONU/Connectors.JPG

Theres 2 sets of cables in there.. and i can only use 1 of them into my head unit and that will only connect one set of speakers..

GIPONU
11-12-2006, 05:15 PM
1 set for the red
1 set for the white.
get what i mean?
it is a Y connector.

there is 2 ways you can do it.
run 1 set of rcas to the amp and split them there.

or split it from the head unit, and run 2 sets of rca's to the amp.

Is it suppose to be white? my cables are black and red..lmao? Yeh i get wat u mean now. thnx bro.

destrukshn
11-12-2006, 05:16 PM
from the head unit and amps it should be red and white.
but yes
lol.

GIPONU
11-12-2006, 05:38 PM
so red and black is still acceptable?lol sorry man i have no clue, just self learning..

destrukshn
11-12-2006, 05:58 PM
same thing.
lol.
dw.
as long as i assume were talkin about the same thing.
lol.

GIPONU
11-12-2006, 06:02 PM
lol, yeh.. so when i have time i just need to go down to jb-hifi/strathfield car radios and get that Y connector, then both my subs will pump..lol

destrukshn
11-12-2006, 06:03 PM
your powering 2 subs off a 4 channel?
what subs?

GIPONU
11-12-2006, 06:10 PM
yeh..heheh

2x pioneer 12" 400w rms 1000w peak. model is TS-W306C
Its gonna blow. I tried it in my cousins civic EM1 and he has a soundstream amp which i dunno how much power it has.. but it was so crankin loud, u basically had to wear ear muffs to drive..lol

destrukshn
11-12-2006, 06:12 PM
ah... those ones.
okies good luck and have fun.
=)

GIPONU
11-12-2006, 06:14 PM
i will.. as long as i remember to disconnect the negative battery terminal b4 everything.. I'll tell ya if i get electric shocked or not..lool

aka_NSX
11-12-2006, 07:45 PM
from the photo ur amp seems like only 2ch not 4ch :confused:

so the AMP has only 1x RCA I/P and the other one is RCA O/P

GIPONU
11-12-2006, 07:47 PM
lol yeh man my badd.. i thought that amp is mine.. but mine is a 4 channel one.. with 2 RCA.. just like that amp in the foto.. and my head unit only has 1 RCA out. which is gay~

and i have no clue wat "so the AMP has only 1x RCA I/P and the other one is RCA O/P" means..haha

aka_NSX
11-12-2006, 07:53 PM
lol yeh man my badd.. i thought that amp is mine.. but mine is a 4 channel one.. with 2 RCA.. just like that amp in the foto.. and my head unit only has 1 RCA out. which is gay~

and i have no clue wat "so the AMP has only 1x RCA I/P and the other one is RCA O/P" means..haha

its very hard to say coz if judging from that photo the 1xRCA is I/P and the other one is O/P, but if u said urs is 4ch so the speaker O/P must be more than the one on the photo am i correct ?

u should take a close up photo of ur AMP on the RCA and terminal section, then i can tell exactly how to do it

GIPONU
11-12-2006, 08:07 PM
well heres the pictures I took, see if they help u decide my choice..lol
http://h1.ripside.net/GIPONU/DSC00348.JPG
http://h1.ripside.net/GIPONU/DSC00349.JPG

Rasputin
11-12-2006, 09:10 PM
And I'm running the Memphis Belle MCH1300

http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/products/details.asp?id=29
woo. thank god for ebay.

aka_NSX
12-12-2006, 07:32 AM
ok now thats 4ch amp :D ,

what does it said on ur H/U the RCA output ? is it front o/p, rear o/p, sub o/p or maybe selectable ? if u can choose the o/p to become sub o/p then use that RCA o/p from the H/U go to the rear RCA i/p of the amp, then use the front speaker o/p from the H/U into the speaker i/p of the amp using the high level i/p, so if u running like this at least u've got a subwoofer control from the H/U, but if u running using the Y spliter u wont control the sub but for me i dont like running a system that i cant control my subwoofer,

hmm, i dont know if this is make sense to you

GIPONU
12-12-2006, 08:22 AM
nar, its a sub o/p on the HU, and thats the only RCA out on the back of my HU. Is there a big difference between Low and High pass filter? I think my hu is only low pass..

Doesnt the remote from the amp to the back of the hu control the sub volume? cos i do hav that, im thinkin if i connect that up, i could scontrol the sub volume with that.

Yeh im planning on using the Y-connector RCA cable, cos i got 2 sets of RCA's on the amp and one set on the HU. Cos i plan to run 2 subs off the 4 channel amp and bridge em so i get more output power.

aka_NSX
12-12-2006, 08:52 AM
nar, its a sub o/p on the HU, and thats the only RCA out on the back of my HU. Is there a big difference between Low and High pass filter? I think my hu is only low pass..

Doesnt the remote from the amp to the back of the hu control the sub volume? cos i do hav that, im thinkin if i connect that up, i could scontrol the sub volume with that.

Yeh im planning on using the Y-connector RCA cable, cos i got 2 sets of RCA's on the amp and one set on the HU. Cos i plan to run 2 subs off the 4 channel amp and bridge em so i get more output power.

ok seems like ur H/U only has sub o/p means u cant use a Y spliter for ur front otherwise u will have Low Pass on ur front speaker then u wont have any High Freq at all, so u better follow as i told u before using the Front speaker o/p go to front High Level i/p on the amp then connect the sub o/p to the rear RCA i/p of the amp

Rasputin
12-12-2006, 11:13 AM
Wait, what is the amp model number? On that photo I can only see 4 speaker terminals. I.E Left +, Left -, and Right +, Right -

That means it's a 2-channel amp and you only need one RCA pair. The other rca connectors would be, as said before, output so that you can add another amp in a 'chain' configuration. i.e. a sub amp.

Edit: Better yet, what are the model numbers of the HU and the subs you're looking at, too. That way we can see what we're dealing with, and what your options are.

GIPONU
12-12-2006, 04:08 PM
LOL, dw i figured it :D got the Y connectors..lol i just asked the guy at strathfield car radios.. thnx every1

I take this message back.. I just got the Y connectors.. just realised the stratti guy gave me a load of jiverish.

GIPONU
12-12-2006, 10:34 PM
Wait, what is the amp model number? On that photo I can only see 4 speaker terminals. I.E Left +, Left -, and Right +, Right -

That means it's a 2-channel amp and you only need one RCA pair. The other rca connectors would be, as said before, output so that you can add another amp in a 'chain' configuration. i.e. a sub amp.

Edit: Better yet, what are the model numbers of the HU and the subs you're looking at, too. That way we can see what we're dealing with, and what your options are.

erm, HU is Sony CDX-GT250S.. Amp is Sony XM-SD14X..

Could i run 2 subs off the all the channels? like bridging the fronts for one sub. and bridging the rears for another sub?.. cos i really wanna somehow use that one amp for 2 subs ONLY.

aka_NSX
12-12-2006, 10:42 PM
erm, HU is Sony CDX-GT250S.. Amp is Sony XM-SD14X..

Could i run 2 subs off the all the channels? like bridging the fronts for one sub. and bridging the rears for another sub?.. cos i really wanna somehow use that one amp for 2 subs ONLY.

of course u can but by doing that means u r running the sub in stereo for me i dont like it :thumbdwn:

GIPONU
12-12-2006, 10:55 PM
dammit..lol.. is there a way of connecting 2 subs to 4 channels and make it produce alot of bass? cos thats how i like it.. :D :thumbsup:

And uno if this pic of the configurations make a difference? for running 2 subs off 1 amp.
http://h1.ripside.net/GIPONU/Button.JPG

Chronos
12-12-2006, 11:34 PM
Impedance of the subs? Are they DVC subs? Rated power?

Please supply us with this information. There are many different configurations possible, you have to be more specific.

aka_NSX
13-12-2006, 06:06 AM
And uno if this pic of the configurations make a difference? for running 2 subs off 1 amp.
http://h1.ripside.net/GIPONU/Button.JPG

now i can tell u definitely u cant run ur sub of the front ch of ur Amp unless ur H/U has got a low pass xover built in coz the Amp has only High Pass xover for the front and Low Pass for the rear, so now tell me whats the impedance of ur sub

GIPONU
13-12-2006, 07:00 AM
Pioneer TS-w306C

Impedence = 4ohms
nominal power = 400w
peak power = 1000w

aka_NSX
13-12-2006, 07:42 AM
Pioneer TS-w306C

Impedence = 4ohms
nominal power = 400w
peak power = 1000w

so is ur H/U got a xover ? and u cant really run the 2 sub from 1ch of that amp coz ur sub is 4 ohms for me i'll hook the 2 sub in parallel so become 2 ohms, but ur Amp i bet cant run 2 ohms in bridge mode, i think the best way is to buy another monoblock Amp just to run ur sub, that will solve the problem

GIPONU
13-12-2006, 09:09 AM
so is ur H/U got a xover ? and u cant really run the 2 sub from 1ch of that amp coz ur sub is 4 ohms for me i'll hook the 2 sub in parallel so become 2 ohms, but ur Amp i bet cant run 2 ohms in bridge mode, i think the best way is to buy another monoblock Amp just to run ur sub, that will solve the problem

lmao, ok.. i'll get it later..

GIPONU
13-12-2006, 02:20 PM
yeh, i changed the amp to a pioneer GM-6200F. Its instructions tell me everything.. i can run it as monoblock, 2 channel, 3 channel, 4 channel..etc.. and i dont need the Y connecctors now, i'll just keep them now, and sell them later.or use them for future use.. im so broke now..lmao. anyhoo i got a modern speech to write in 9hours about WWI

OS: The guy tried really hard to get me to buy the sony one for some strange reason..lol

GIPONU
13-12-2006, 08:40 PM
I installed the amp and subs.. When the engine is running, and the door is open so the lights are on and the subs are pumpin.. are the lights ment to dimmer everything time a beat goes off?lol or this some crappy wiring problem?

Rasputin
13-12-2006, 08:45 PM
I'd upgrade the battery ground.

i.e. Install an extra cable (of the same thickness or larger than your amp's ground cable) running from the battery negative to the car chassis.

This should help the dimming issue.

GIPONU
13-12-2006, 10:45 PM
are u sure?sounds dangerous..lol will it cause me to get zapped by the car when i touch it? cos that happens when i touch my mums car.. and both cars in the family has no rear earthing wire which tails along the floor..

Rasputin
13-12-2006, 10:53 PM
That tail thingy that hangs off of a lot of cars stops things happening like getting zapped when you touch your door handle etc
This is often caused by minor wiring faults, and generally would take a lot of searching to find the issue, and so people often solve this problem by installing the 'tail' which treats the symptoms.

That's not what I mean, though. There is an existing black cable coming off your battery's negative terminal. This is a ground cable, just like the one used to ground your amp. To complete an electrical circuit you need a Positive (red) connection, and a Negative, or Ground (black) connection.
A lot of the time the issue with dimming lights etc on Bass hits is that the standard battery Ground cable is insufficient, and creates a 'bottleneck' in the electrical circuit. Leave the current cable in place if you can, just add an extra one, using the same method as you did/your installer did when grounding the amp.

Stay away from touching the 12V terminal and you're not going to get shocked. Touching the 12v and ground terminals at once is a very bad idea since your BODY will be completing a short circuit...and I'm sure this would ruin your whole day.

tron07
14-12-2006, 04:22 PM
After you upgrade your grounds and the light still dimms when the bass hits, its either your battery need to be change (how many years already?) or your alternator is not charging enough.

Put a voltmeter to the battery to get the voltage when the engine is running. Should get about 13-14v.

If that still dont solve the problem, getting a capacitor will.

GIPONU
14-12-2006, 08:33 PM
ok i shall add an extra ground wire..lol.. yeh my friend told me it could've been the capacitor.. my ground wire off the amp isnt connected to gud a place atm. i'll see if i can find somewhere else for it. which is the 12V? the red one(positive terminal on the battery)?