PDA

View Full Version : Half tank & engine stall when stopping

j.meng87
11-12-2006, 11:04 PM
Hi i'm new here, i need help if anyone here can suggest whats wrong with my car. My car intend to stall when the fuel tank is about 1/2 full. This happens only when i stop at a downwards slopping road but its fine if its uphill. The car is an automatic 93 Accord CD5 model. Can this be a fuel pump problem? Can someone also tell me if the only way to remove the fuel pump on this model is by removing the entire fuel tank or its the same as other cars where i just remove it from the back of the boot? It seem to have the same problem as this:
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39008&highlight=fuel+pump
Thanks

ECU-MAN
16-12-2006, 10:18 AM
sounds like a fuel pickup problem

the sock filter on the pump may have fallen off

Edgeauto
18-12-2006, 08:47 PM
Definatley sounds like a pick-up problem and yes you do get to the fuel pump through the access panel in the boot.

j.meng87
21-12-2006, 04:28 PM
so basically to remove the fuel pump i just unscrew the access panel and i'll see the fuel pump assembly. I dont have to remove the entire fuel tank?
Anyone with a DIY for the same model accord??
Thanks

blk_shadow
21-12-2006, 05:20 PM
in most cases, you don't have to remove the whole fuel tank, the fuel pump will be on top of it. and probably you want to check the fuel sender unit too, before getting the whole fuel pump.

Edgeauto
21-12-2006, 06:41 PM
Remove the access panel then you see the tank and the pump assy. Unpug the connector, remove the fuel lines then unbolt the pump assy and remove it from the tank. It's a good idea to remove the filler cap before removing the pump assy:)

j.meng87
21-12-2006, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the help. Might check it tomorrow as its getting really annoying lately. So basically i'll have to check the sock filter to make sure its still attach to the pump. Also i sometimes hear a buzzing sound from the fuel pump when its 1/4 full. Which i guess its cause by the pickup problem you guys mention. Anyone know the price of a new fuel pump unit in case i need to buy 1?

blk_shadow
21-12-2006, 09:58 PM
genuine one is pretty expensive.

around $400 mark, can be more.