PDA

View Full Version : Switching dual inputs to speakers

Merlin086
13-12-2006, 04:08 PM
Has anyone had the need to switch between the standard head unit and an aftermarket unit to allow the speakers to be driven from either unit? (One at a time off course)

If so, how did you do it?, or has everyone connected a second unit only to additional speakers?

Hope that's not too confusing........

adammet04
13-12-2006, 06:11 PM
hmmmm

im grapppling to find a reason to want to do this...

my stock hu is still powered so i can store cd's in it, but nothing comes through the speakers.

this might get moved to audio :P

Merlin086
13-12-2006, 07:00 PM
Well, the Honda hu for radio or cd, or switch speakers to play from second hu with DVD/MP3/TV/Rear view camera alternatively.

BiLL|z0r
13-12-2006, 07:36 PM
Any unit that does DVD/MP3/TV etc will do CD's and Radio better than the std unit anyway so why bother switching. CD storage is the only useful thing I can see once you upgrade.

Merlin086
13-12-2006, 08:44 PM
To have control over a sound system via the steering wheel controls if required, eg. long periods of twisting roads etc.
My stereo installer has sourced a specific switch (for speakers) for $22 that will switch 2 pair of speakers via a on/off/on toggle switch, to go in the blank next to the VSA button.

euro77
13-12-2006, 08:48 PM
To have control over a sound system via the steering wheel controls if required, eg. long periods of twisting roads etc.
My stereo installer has sourced a specific switch (for speakers) for $22 that will switch 2 pair of speakers via a on/off/on toggle switch, to go in the blank next to the VSA button.

you can get a device that will allow you to still use the steering wheel button to control an aftermarket unit. Stinger made those devices, as well as other manufacturers.

One example is: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-eVwO2zRHwVt/cgi-bin/ProdGroup.asp?g=118900
select 2004 -> Acura -> TSX -> without Navigation.

Merlin086
13-12-2006, 08:54 PM
Excellent, thanks for that.

That is certainly my preferred option.

Man....the ideas keep rolling out of you guys......:thumbsup: