PDA

View Full Version : carbon fibre bonnet

typerinside
15-12-2006, 01:30 PM
is it worth it getting/replacing my stock bonnet to a carbon fibre with no vent, what are the advantages and disadvantages of having a CFB,

bennjamin
15-12-2006, 01:31 PM
moved.

its lighter and looks different.

cons = its differernt material and will act differently in a crash.
Will attract both police and theives
Rice ?

tRipitaka
15-12-2006, 01:32 PM
advantages:
lighter (weight reduction), may look better depending on one's taste

disadvantages:
illegal, shatters on impact during an accident

m3ntAL_l2
15-12-2006, 01:32 PM
advantages:
-lighter
-looks

disadvantages:
-not road worthy
-cost too much to buy/repair

aaronng
15-12-2006, 01:37 PM
Carbon fibre bonnets that you buy for under $1500 are made of fibre reinforced plastic with a single layer of CF over the top for looks.

jdm_kid
15-12-2006, 01:47 PM
moved.

its lighter and looks different.

cons = its differernt material and will act differently in a crash.
Will attract both police and theives
Rice ?

black bonnet is rice ! LOL CF for the :cool:

saxman
15-12-2006, 02:14 PM
Carbon fibre bonnets that you buy for under $1500 are made of fibre reinforced plastic with a single layer of CF over the top for looks.

well, to be fair, all CF parts are made of fiber reinforced plastic, seeing as CF itself is a form of FRP. What I think you're meaning to say is that they're made of fiberglass.

ON XTC
15-12-2006, 03:57 PM
carbon fibre is made of material that wil enhance the cooling process in the engine bay.

vented bonnets are good because hot air can esape from the vents however, i am sure it is illegal to have cf bonnet where the vents face the driver and passenger. for safety reasons.

Bayani
15-12-2006, 04:01 PM
It's illegal to have a Completely CF Hood on the street, Period.

Paint your bonnet black and put some vents on.

Vents are there to do just that. Vent. Increases ventilation to the bay cooling the engine.

aaronng
15-12-2006, 04:05 PM
well, to be fair, all CF parts are made of fiber reinforced plastic, seeing as CF itself is a form of FRP. What I think you're meaning to say is that they're made of fiberglass.

:thumbsup: To me, FRP = fibreglass

ON XTC
15-12-2006, 04:13 PM
It's illegal to have a Completely CF Hood on the street, Period.

Paint your bonnet black and put some vents on.

Vents are there to do just that. Vent. Increases ventilation to the bay cooling the engine.

i thought as long as you can get it engineered then its ok. i dunno please correct me if im wrong.

i mean look at how many cars in syd driving with a cf bonnet. that would be a total visible defect there.

saxman
15-12-2006, 04:26 PM
carbon fibre is made of material that wil enhance the cooling process in the engine bay.

vented bonnets are good because hot air can esape from the vents however, i am sure it is illegal to have cf bonnet where the vents face the driver and passenger. for safety reasons.

how does it help in the cooling process? carbon fiber is a good insulator...

and aaron, frp = fiber reinforced plastic... the resin being the plastic, the fiber can be a variety of things... fiberglass, kevlar, carbon fiber, basalt, etc, depending on application

EuroDude
15-12-2006, 05:44 PM
i thought as long as you can get it engineered then its ok. i dunno please correct me if im wrong.

i mean look at how many cars in syd driving with a cf bonnet. that would be a total visible defect there.

They are illegal for safety reasons.

If you hit a pedestrian at the front, they will get injured more because Carbon Fibre doesnt bend/crumple like Steel

saxman
15-12-2006, 05:52 PM
not to mention when it shatters, it's sharp as all hell. Be like hitting a knife at highway speeds.

JDM96R
15-12-2006, 05:53 PM
how does it help in the cooling process? carbon fiber is a good insulator...

and aaron, frp = fiber reinforced plastic... the resin being the plastic, the fiber can be a variety of things... fiberglass, kevlar, carbon fiber, basalt, etc, depending on application

If its vented it helps the cooling process by when the cold air is rushing over the top of your bonnet while the car is moving it will act act sort of like a vacuum and will suck out the hot air above your exhaust manifold/header reducing the engine bay temp.

saxman
15-12-2006, 08:02 PM
it being vented has absolutely nothing to do with it being carbon fiber...

aaronng
15-12-2006, 08:29 PM
it being vented has absolutely nothing to do with it being carbon fiber...

:thumbsup:

Bayani
16-12-2006, 10:58 AM

Nope, they're 100% Street Illegal.

Yes, plenty of the Members here have Real CF Hoods; and they're all playing with the chance of being defected.

Irrespective of Engineering Certificates, you can't have them. An engineer won't pass it.

You've got to make the decision yourself, and throw up the possibilities of what will happen when you stick one on, like if someone die because you put one on, and can you handle getting the defect, and getting them cleared each time you swap the bonnets.

If you want a CF Bonnet to be light, do something else :o)
If you want a CF Bonnet (vented) for cooling, just get vents attached.

EuroDude
16-12-2006, 11:09 AM
^ agreed. not worth the risk. Even if you paint it the cars colour, taking out a ped/cyclist/biker will get you in strife.

Is it illegal to have a Carbon Fiber boot lid?

Bayani
29-12-2006, 01:10 PM
That's a tough one, safety activists would point out that the same principles apply, however, think of it this way:

If some guy hurls in to you, your boots' going to shatter. --- Where's those shards going?

teaseR
29-12-2006, 09:44 PM
^^^ good point

aimre
02-01-2007, 12:05 AM
Just paint ur bonnet black, no one will know if they're +1m away.
You could loose them bonnet kilos by eating less. or getting rid of your sub

ACTI0NMAN-1
03-01-2007, 10:35 PM
if you get a cf hood. always keep your stock one.

Bayani
04-01-2007, 06:29 AM
if you get a cf hood. always keep your stock one.

A Soap on a Rope

-- For Gaol

And a wad of cash.

-- for Defects and paying medical bills.

LOL

ON XTC
04-01-2007, 10:26 AM
hey... has anyone heard of cf bonnets in america where they are so strong you can actually jump on it and not break or dent it?

defect
04-01-2007, 10:53 AM
really? never heard of it before
sounds great but probs just fibleglass bonnet w/ cf layer.

mrwillz
04-01-2007, 12:15 PM
u mean a stock boonnet that looks cf

Bayani
04-01-2007, 12:23 PM
So a CFB that doesn't shatter or break?

Well, that would STILL be defectable.

Cars are supposed to have crumple-zones. It's what helps protect pedestrians. Something that strong will mean a harder impact.

rivergod
04-01-2007, 08:19 PM

police are just lazy me thinks

Rice_4_life
04-01-2007, 09:17 PM
hey... has anyone heard of cf bonnets in america where they are so strong you can actually jump on it and not break or dent it?

wouldnt tak b dangerous?? cos imagine for sum reason u go smak bang into a tree and tat bonnet ur talkin about wont break or shatter then ur pretty muc screwed there :P

tRung
16-01-2007, 11:54 AM
hrmm thats odd... i got a cf hood on my teg (vic) copped a defect on other crap... cop didnt say anything about my cf hood. you sure there illegal?
cant find anything about cf hood on vic roads website...

ACTI0NMAN-1
16-01-2007, 12:07 PM
what clear coat do people reccomend for them as i cant be bothered cleaning and waxing the cf epoxy every 2 weeks.

Bayani
16-01-2007, 08:04 PM
Highway patrol are the people to contact.

Regular Duty cops don't have the training for this, and when they want to find something out regarding cars they contact Highway Patrol.

Contact your local Highway Patrol Command.

sydteg21
16-01-2007, 08:29 PM
no wonder, got defected on the highway, the cop acted like a pro (got all the bloody tools shit), did not think highway patrol knew that much, lesson learned

Bayani
16-01-2007, 10:59 PM
There ya go ;)

Field officers get training days that deal with community issues, tactics and techniques, drug and alcohol information, etc. However, highway Patrol also get training days in regards to mechanical information, regulations, etc for vehicles.