PDA

View Full Version : Deactivated door chime...

Merlin086
16-12-2006, 08:34 AM
I read a few threads about unplugging the door chime from under the seat, but after a few vain attempts and a really sore back, I took another approach.
I assumed that the spring loaded door button must be the culprit.
So here's what I did.

Below where the door catch is, there is a rubber cover over the spring loaded button like on a fridge door. Pop the cover on the bottom half of the rubber cover to reveal the phillips head screw, and remove.
Pull out the switch, lifting up as it comes out and pull out a few inches of wire.
Unplug the connector from the back and tie a 15cm or so piece of string or fine wire around the cable and push it all the way back inside the pillar leaving 2-3cm of the string hanging out.
Screw the switch back on with the string sandwiched between it and the b-pillar.

Works great............NO MORE DOOR CHIME.

Only other problem that I can think of is no courtesy light with the button disconnected, but that's a small price to pay to shut that damn chime up.

Anyone any ideas on any other negative side affects from doing the above?

tron07
16-12-2006, 09:39 AM
why would you want to do that for?

Merlin086
16-12-2006, 10:07 AM
I get migraines and the door chime drives me insane.

Besides, I think I know when I have the door open......

ROBERT
16-12-2006, 12:43 PM
My standard Euro doesn't seem to have a door chime (is it only the lux model?) So when did the chime go off? Presumably only when you drive off in which case just shut the door.

stephen8512
16-12-2006, 01:26 PM
i think this might be a new feature on the 06 models
the 03-05 models AFAIK, the chime only goes off if u open ur door and the headlights are still on

Merlin086
16-12-2006, 03:15 PM
Yeh
pretty sure it's only the lux but the chime sounds continuously when the drivers door is open, if the keys are in the ignition.
Every time, over and over and over........relief.....

EuroDude
16-12-2006, 03:31 PM
The 2006 Standard does it as well. I just give in and remove the freakin key lol

What I would prefer to do is deactivate the annoying 6-beep seatbelt warning, since i always start the engine before putting my seatbelt on.
I may try and short the sensor(switch) in the seatbelt buckle.

aaronng
16-12-2006, 04:02 PM
The 03-05 should also chime when you have the door open and the key in the ignition. It should sound like 4 quick chimes like "teet-teet-teet-teet".

Merlin086
16-12-2006, 04:26 PM
The seat belt sound doesn't bother me......but that incessant door chime.......no more!

aaronng
16-12-2006, 04:38 PM
The seat belt sound doesn't bother me......but that incessant door chime.......no more!
Just close your door before you put the key in.

VirIIx
16-12-2006, 04:55 PM
i thought the chime would only go off if;

1. key is in ignition
2. headlights are activated to at least park
3. driver door open

otherwise.. you never hear it.. and if it was the case for that - just turn off your headlights :p

Merlin086
16-12-2006, 05:12 PM
I leave the car in the garage with the keys in it........

In the 06 euro, if the keys are in the ignition the chime goes off continually when the door is open, regardless if the lights are on or not........ if the keys are in, but I never leave the lights on, or the problem would be easy fixed, as you say, turn them off!

VirIIx
16-12-2006, 10:01 PM

In the 06 euro, if the keys are in the ignition the chime goes off continually when the door is open, regardless if the lights are on or not........ if the keys are in, but I never leave the lights on, or the problem would be easy fixed, as you say, turn them off!

It's great to hear Honda go out of their way to really annoy people with small simple things. It's hard to believe how backward they can go sometimes, tho.. sometimes it's not so hard to believe :\

aaronng
16-12-2006, 10:27 PM

Why do you leave the keys in the car when parked in the garage?

EuroDude
16-12-2006, 10:34 PM
Why do you leave the keys in the car when parked in the garage?

I was thinking that too lol. Someone could easily break into the garage and steal the car(s).

aaronng
16-12-2006, 10:48 PM
And..... if insurance finds out that your keys were left in the car, you're not covered for the theft.

ROBERT
17-12-2006, 05:27 AM
The 03-05 should also chime when you have the door open and the key in the ignition. It should sound like 4 quick chimes like "teet-teet-teet-teet".

My 05 standard doesn't chime or teet or anything when the door is open with the keys in and turned to accessories. I now can see the problem however as I used to have a Ford Taurus (it was a company car handed down to me from my boss, I would never have chosen such a crap car myself) and it chimed continually with the keys in the ignition and door open. If say, vacuming the car out you couldn't have the radio on without the chimes. I hated it also.
Regarding leaving the keys in the ignition all night, I unintenionally did that in my Euro and the battery was dead the next day. So there must be some drain with just the keys in, not even turned to accessories. They would have been in for 24 hours. I charged it back up and it has been fine since then so the battery was not at fault.

Merlin086
17-12-2006, 06:22 AM
I've always left my keys in the car when the garage is LOCKED. Besides, see my avatar, he weighs 80kg and no one would ever break into my place...hehe

I might check on the insurance issue, but I assumed that if the house was locked the car would be insured even with the keys in the ignition.

Shorty
17-12-2006, 07:37 AM
If you want the sound gone the right way (and keep the light that comes on when you open the door) I know a guy that can do it for you the right way... wont charge much either

hooboy
17-12-2006, 08:13 AM
I've always left my keys in the car when the garage is LOCKED. Besides, see my avatar, he weighs 80kg and no one would ever break into my place...hehe

I might check on the insurance issue, but I assumed that if the house was locked the car would be insured even with the keys in the ignition.

If I were you, I would not leave the key inside the car no matter how secure your house is, what insurance cover you have and what protection you have. Thief these day are smart and almost have no fear if they have the will to steal your car. By leaving the key inside your car, its just making their job easier and less time for them. Anyway this just my opinion.

Cheers

sodaz
17-12-2006, 09:18 AM
What???

You leave your keys inside your car when it's parked? That's gotta make your car the easiest one to steal in the world. What's the immobiliser for then?

Merlin086
17-12-2006, 10:39 AM
Do you lock all your valuables up inside your house when you go out? Wife's jewellery in the safe, along with the computer, tv, digital camera, etc etc.

When the doors of my house are locked, the valuables inside are insured without having to be locked up by additional means as well, providing my house is properly secured.

Any other items within your home are exposed to theft simply by the fact they are within the premises, and who locks up all their valuables, even when they are at home?

I don't lock my kids in impenetrable bedrooms while they sleep, and they are more valuable than any car.

Get real, most people consider their homes safe for their families, but some of you guys would probably put their car first!

The immobilizer is for use when you don't have the car LOCKED in the garage and have to lock it by other methods, eg. the door locks

ZEi20T
17-12-2006, 10:14 PM
i think you will find your house insurance policy either wont cover the car at all, or at least not while its left unlocked with the key sitting in it. same for the comprehensive insurance on the car itself.

tamero
18-12-2006, 05:03 AM
U R a GUN! Just did it to my car NO MORE FRICKEN CHIME!!!! You made me a very happy boy that chime was doing my head in Thanks again:)

tony1234
18-12-2006, 06:26 AM
And..... if insurance finds out that your keys were left in the car, you're not covered for the theft.

Personally i would NEVER leave keys in the ignition in my car overnight.

Merlin086
18-12-2006, 07:59 AM
After checking with my insurance company and reading my policy, a car in the garage with the keys in the ignition is insured provided the house is secured.

You would have to prove a break-in, ie police report etc.

To all you paranoid people, just think....

.....a maniac might break into your house and slaughter your whole family in their sleep, but at least he can't steal the precious car, as long as you lock the keys to the car up and hide the keys somewhere..............lol....get real......

EuroDude
18-12-2006, 08:23 AM
How many maniacs are there in Sydney? 5, 10? How often does a maniac go crazy? Once a month?

How many car thiefs? 10,000 ? A car gets stolen something like every 4 seconds in aus.
Thats quite a difference. If they need 10 euro's to dismantle and sell to the middle east, they may see yours on the road and follow u home to steel it at a good moment.

u should take the keys out for piece of mind, any pro car theif can break into your garage (with a garage remote code scanner for instance)

Merlin086
18-12-2006, 08:45 AM
If they are professional enough to follow me home to get it and sell it to the middle east as parts, they'll probably kill me anyway, then I won't need the car.
Either way, car thieves "at the rate of 4/sec" steal many cars including locked ones. Usually it is the locked ones the professional thieves target as most people with valuable cars secure them, such as in a locked garage.

If a thief broke into my house, I would prefer he steal the car than come into the rest of the house looking for something else to steal, where I may surprise him and get stabbed.....god forbid.......the car can easily be replaced.

Anyway, glad to help TAMERO, instead of having to justify my choice to leave the keys in the car while locked in the garage to people who have a different opinion.

Seems like it's a cardinal sin to do this, so my humble apologies to all those I may have offended by my treatment of my Euro............lol....rrfl.......;)

mastcell
18-12-2006, 11:19 PM
While everyone else is trying to minimising risk of financial loss, it is Merlins086's perogative to leave the key with the car.

Even if there is a ferocious dog in the house, the dog can be controlled with drugs or tempted with food. The home contents insurance may cover the loss of the car, but you better make sure your contents cover is adequate for the total cost of the car as well as your other home assets. Or else your insurer will only pay on part of the claim.....(the under-insurance clause)

Honestly, why would you want to buy extra home insurance when that is why you bought car insurance in the first place?!

What if the thief steals your car for a joy ride and leave the car partly damaged but 'recoverable' according the the insurer? Will you still be happy with your used and abused car?

How would you feel if you car was involved in an accident where an innocent person dies as the result? Is it worth the five seconds of convenience you save by leaving the key in the car? Can you live with a lifetime of guilt of 'if only I....'?

I sincerely hope that you never encounter a robber, Merlin086, because you won't be so sure of yourself after you have been screwed over.

Merlin086
19-12-2006, 06:59 AM
If you check your house insurance you will probably find something similar to my home insurance, that a motor vehicle over 125cc that requires registration is not covered by a home insurance policy.

As to the "what if", that also applies to your car being stolen in the street, and the only way to not possibly have the "If only I had" is not to buy a car in the first place!

I think you better check your insurance policys mastcell.

Personally, my home contents are insured for more then twice the car's value, which is irrelevant anyway, as the car is not covered by the home contents policy.

If I lived in a gated community with armed guards patrolling 24/7, would it be alright then if I left the keys in the car. Just because my situation doesn't apply to you, doesn't mean that it is the wrong choice.
Eg., do you thing a farmer in the country requires the same level of security at home as Sydney or Melbourne?
Different situations for different people!

mastcell
My advice, check your facts,.... and your insurance.......

kam
19-12-2006, 02:12 PM
only thing 03 stocky chimes about is if the engine is off - lights are on and door is opended. no seat belt chime.

jeffchen
20-12-2006, 01:22 AM
All this insurance debate,
Just to clarify some things first, by leaving the key in the car and a robber breaking into the garage to steal the car is very irrisponsible, and don't be fooled by your insurance it is AT THEIR DISCRETION to insure you or not and, they will also access you for DUTY OF CARE, if you failed to show adequate DUTY OF CARE to looking after property and pocession you will not be insured.

you will have no chance in getting your car back from insurance, as you mentioned having a locked garage that is NOT GOOD ENOUGH!,
If i asked you if the robber broke into the house and stole the keys and took the car then you will be insured, if not it clearly proves that you have not taken RESONABLE action in securing your posscession.

Please go home and check your insurance PDS if in doubt phone and ask your insurer

I work at at insurance company so hope this kinda helps otherwise you might lose your second most expensive item in the house

Merlin086
20-12-2006, 06:11 AM
I don't know what insurance company you work for, but my insurance company has verified that all the contents of my home are considered secure as long as the house is locked.
This duty of care applies to my house contents being secured to be covered by my contents policy, and my comprehensive car insurance company has verified that they consider that a motor vehicle in a locked garage is secure.
It is their policy that considers a locked house as reasonable security, and personally I am in agreement.

Do you lock up any family heirlooms (and all valuables) in a safe within your house, as these are not replacable, where a car is, or do you consider a locked house adequate security for the remainder of your posessions?

tony1234
20-12-2006, 06:29 AM
Merlin086,i know it's your choice but i can't see the point of leaving your keys in the ignition.:confused:

Merlin086
20-12-2006, 07:40 AM
tony1234
Just out of curiosity, do you hide your car keys when you go to bed or do you leave them in a prominent position as I am sure most people do?

Just wondering?

EuroDude
20-12-2006, 08:18 AM
I dont think a car thief would go looking for your keys in your room while ur asleep. Surely most ppl have their garage locked from the main house anyway.

If you leave ur car keys in the car, anyone who is anyone can very easily see the keys and steal the car, including edward the electrician and paul the plumber. If the keys arent there, only dedicated car thieves would steal the car.

Even your friend who comes over may get a bit drunk and see the keys and go for a spin, possibly writing the car off in the process.

tron07
20-12-2006, 08:35 AM
When someone break in to your house to steal your car, would you mention to the insurance, yeah, some dude broke into my house and then in the process, stole my car... and I left the keys in the ignition.

You would probably miss that out or maybe say I leaft the key table near the door if the insurance ask you.

mastcell
20-12-2006, 09:46 PM
Merlin086,

Previous posts did not clearly state whether the insurance was a car or home and contents. Anyway, I apologise for misunderstanding caused when I said contents insurance can be used to cover vehicular loss.

The point about insurance is really not as important as the concept of 'risk minimisation'.

Keeping the key away from your car is common sense to most people. It is to make it harder for crime of opportunity to occur. It is not about what is considered secure and acceptable, because there are different level of security depending on how desperate a would-be thief is.

Finally, you have a duty of care as the owner and driver of that car, to ensure that only responsible person can be behind the wheel.

Good luck, whatever you decide, but I do hope you see why the majority of us prefer to keep the key separately.

jasonbb
20-12-2006, 09:53 PM
I have to agree its a pain especially when you want to sit there with the door open listening to the radio, but I would rather still have the lights work.
It would be handy if you could turn it off in the menu's somewhere.

A few years ago I was living in a unit, someone broke into my place during the day and stole the spare key to my car, the next morning the car had gone. I got it back 2 days later messed up a bit.

ACCONDA
22-12-2006, 12:33 PM
next he'll wanna know how to deactivate the airbags and alarm lol

kleung
23-12-2006, 11:51 PM
Merlin086, at the end of the day, where you keep your car keys is your choice. However - simply locking the car doors as WELL as your garage would at least provide an additional layer of security. If nothing else, it would greatly reduce the risk of opportunistic theft of your car.

Me, I lock my car whenever I'm more than a few metres away from it, with nobody else in the car. The keys come out of the ignition and into a pocket the moment I get out of the car, even if there are other people in the car.

Do you lock up any family heirlooms (and all valuables) in a safe within your house, as these are not replacable, where a car is, or do you consider a locked house adequate security for the remainder of your posessions?

Yup. I don't have a safe, but my valuables/irreplaceables are kept in a safe deposit box at a bank when they are not needed. Any keys not kept with a family member are kept hidden, and my car keys are kept in a non-obvious drawer when I'm not using them.

No, I don't think 'a locked house' is adequate security, but it is better than nothing. I thought we had a reasonably secure house until we were burgled a few years ago. Even then the thief had to try several windows before they got in. And then they found they had to go out another window, because none of the doors were accessible (Old-fashioned wrought-iron security doors FTW!). Since then we've taken steps to further improve the security on the house. Yes, we already had locks on all the windows and they were used. And I live in a relatively 'safe' suburb.

Incidentally, I saw a guy who left his keys in a brand new Statesman when he was paying for fuel at the servo a few months ago. That is simply irresponsible, IMO. I was SO tempted to 'borrow' his keys just to see his reaction when he got back...

Merlin086
24-12-2006, 08:54 AM
You don't know how pleased I am to see that someone has their own individual situation in perspective.

I assume that your choice is probably the correct one in your situation.

As for leaving the keys in the ignition at a servo, IMHO the owner deserved to have his car stolen, and the funny thing is you would still have to pay for the tankfull the car thief is driving around on!

I recently have my number plates stolen off my car while my wife was parked at her work, and the police tell me that petrol thieves put them on their own car to get petrol, then do a runner, and remove the plates ready for the next tankfull.

Poor servo owners..............