PDA

View Full Version : [video DIY] sound deadening

EK4R
16-12-2006, 12:47 PM
Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself nor Ozhonda take any responsibility for the outcomes of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk.

Friend and i decided to sound deaden our cars, not fully but just in the wheel arch to reduce the tyre noise getting into the cabin. so here is. there is a video for those visual learners.

tools:

1x car jack
1x car stand (optional but be safe)
1x Sound Deadening spray (purchased from autobarn for 10 bux)
1x wax n degrease remover ( autobarn again )
1x something to scrub the grim off the wheel arch
1x a friend (thx timmy)

METHOD

step1 : jack the car up, you all know how to do this so im not gona bother covering

step2 : get your sponge or wateva and mix it with wax and degreaser remover and start scrubbing your dirty wheel archs.

it takes ALOT of effort and as you can see in the video it was already dark by the time ONE wheel arch was finished lol :eek:

step 3 : make sure the surface is pretty clean and dry it with a towel.

step 4 : cover parts of car that you dont wish to get sprayed on. eg LCA, brakes, outside pannels etc.

step 5: even layered spray of your inner wheel arch. let it dry then repeat for atleast 3 layers.

step 6: let it dry and your done.

step 7: repeat with other wheels.

VIDEO:
here is a short 1min video of the processes. sorry being so dark. it took longer than we expected to get the grim off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4_0Qwt-oec

OTHER:
we will be doing a full underbody sound deaden soon so stay tuned ... :P

dfekm3
16-12-2006, 08:30 PM
hahah.. great work guys, dont know how you were scrubbing and spaying in the dark.....

oopps.. missed... paint.. DOH!

ECU-MAN
16-12-2006, 09:13 PM
nice DIY dude, the video is an awsome idea, realy helps with the DIY

back in my day this shit had to be brushed on :(

mrwillz
16-12-2006, 09:51 PM
mr video editor george
has got skills!
kool stuf, so did it make a real difference afterwards?

preludacris
17-12-2006, 03:34 PM
nice DIY geo, i wanna try this.

EK4R
17-12-2006, 06:54 PM
nice DIY geo, i wanna try this.

......ok then...7im

gxiang
20-12-2006, 01:22 PM
hey sick im gona try this at home when i have the time!

preludacris
20-12-2006, 02:01 PM
hahah wtf , who are u gxiang, where did you pull an s2k from ?

Bez180sx
27-03-2007, 02:23 PM
Awsome idea guys, did it make much difference tho ?

nick
28-03-2007, 02:32 PM
NOW THATS THE MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION...

KOOL VIDEO BUT DOES IT MAKE A DIFFERENCE CAUSE I GET ALOT OF EXHAUST NOISE INSIDE THE CABIN

AND ILL DO THIS IF YOU CAN EXPLAIN THE DIFFERENCE IT MADE???

GOOD STUFF ANYWAY GUYS

WELL DONE

Awsome idea guys, did it make much difference tho ?

STTICH
28-03-2007, 02:37 PM
nice one George :thumbsup:

how do u find the difference in noice level? :)

EK4R
28-03-2007, 05:20 PM
wow this thread still alive. umm i didnt do it on my car actually. if you look at the video its on my friends car. ill let him answer that questions.

however im doing this today or tomorrow on my ek. initially i was going to those stick on flexible tar things but they pretty expensive and heavy....so im going to spray this inside my chassis since my interior is out. hopefully it will make a drastic improvement on sound, but just enough to hear vtec .

will keep this posted in the coming weeks.

preludacris
28-03-2007, 05:24 PM
umm
yeah notice a slight diff in road noise, especially on hwy.

small but noticable diff. :)

Enigma
27-05-2007, 10:23 AM
The spray is not worth the effort and the money, If you dont mind a little bit of weight, there is some good stuff from clark rubber (sound deadening material $100-250 total). Removed all carpet and seats and layed it down. Car now sounds beautiful, good as a Merc but with a sick exhaust.

EK4R
27-05-2007, 04:42 PM
The spray is not worth the effort and the money, If you dont mind a little bit of weight, there is some good stuff from clark rubber (sound deadening material $100-250 total). Removed all carpet and seats and layed it down. Car now sounds beautiful, good as a Merc but with a sick exhaust.

Enigma what kind of material is it? and does it just stick onto the chassis like the original sound deadening stuff?