PDA

View Full Version : lowering the back -koni yellows

turbo convert
16-12-2006, 08:36 PM
hi guys
i got eibach pro kit in my em1 now iam very happy with the ride with a great mix of handling and comfort, however the back sits to high for my liking and would like to drop it to match the front or there about is this possible with out changing the spring (and no i will not cut)"
what are my options???
i have heard alot of ppl on this forum using eibach pro kit like myself and koni yellows??? are they easy to adjust and will this lower they back?
can i just do koni yellows in the back and not the front will it effect handling negatively?
some suspension places have told me that the koni's wont give any drop however i have also been told by the place iam going to buy them that i can get a 2cm which is what iam after can someone please confirm?

thanks guys

muhhan
17-12-2006, 06:50 PM
If you use Koni yellow shocks you can lower the spring perch so that the back will sit lower, just remember the bumpstops. There are grooves on the shock body that you put a circlip into. The spring perch sits on this. Traders on this forum sell the Koni yellow shocks or you can search for Koni retailers in your area on the internet.

Coilovers are going to give you much more height adjustability and the springs will be perfectly matched to the shock. I haven't had experience with either of those brands so I can't comment on them. I guess it would depend on how good 'good condition' is, how far have they travelled, have they done any track work and what the price is. You may want to consider if the shocks can be rebuilt when they get worn or if completely new shocks need to be purchased. Keeping this in mind may help when purchasing secondhand shocks.

turbo convert
18-12-2006, 06:46 AM
thanks for your help, i think i will get an adjustable shock as i want to get a nice ride not too firm as it will be with coil overs. and i will buy new as your thaughts are right on second hand

turbo convert
19-12-2006, 07:56 AM
anyone?

elim
19-12-2006, 08:41 AM
I have been told the yellow koni lowers the car an extra 1" from stock.

By getting the rear only, you'll have a difference in age, brand, wear and tear and these factors may affect the shock's performance. This is my assumption only.

However if you go yellow koni for all 4 corners, you may not even like it because the rear will sit abit higher than the front. A tiny bit, depends how nit picky you are. Check out blitz's car.

As you have ruled out coilovers, one solution would be to cut new slits on the koni shock at the required height.

SiReal
19-12-2006, 08:55 AM
elim, as for machining new slits, how feasible is this? i've been thinking about this for some time now and i'm unsure of the safety in doing so. i.e. when the shock was originally manufactured, were the slits just machined onto the original body? or was the body made and designed with the slits in mind, hence an even thickness all round?

i want to preserve the intergrity of the shock body basically.

turbo convert
19-12-2006, 11:39 AM
new cheap game plan i will have to sacrifice my eibach well they will be for sale........anyone.
i am looking to purchase so lovell 40mm drop. anyone know if these are any good before i buy them.

turbo convert
19-12-2006, 12:35 PM
changed thread please close
thankyou

elim
19-12-2006, 04:58 PM
elim, as for machining new slits, how feasible is this? i've been thinking about this for some time now and i'm unsure of the safety in doing so. i.e. when the shock was originally manufactured, were the slits just machined onto the original body? or was the body made and designed with the slits in mind, hence an even thickness all round?

to be honest, I am not sure. I was looking at doing this at one stage but as the height adjustability is so limited on the yellow koni, I ended up getting coilovers.

PM BlitZ as I can't rem whether he told me about the possibilities of it or he actually has slitted his one.

Duesta
19-12-2006, 05:02 PM

it is quite feasible. There is a suspension place in syd which is pretty reputable that does jobs like that. I've been considering doing it too, but just been too lazy to go and do it

BlitZ
21-12-2006, 09:46 AM
you cant add more slits on the rear to lowe it as the std ones are really low already... any lower you would have the cup hitting sway bar.

the front.. you can do.. I have like an extra 3 groves per shock.. perfectly safe..
got them done for $45 about 3 years ago

And dont bring it to a suspension shop as they will send it off anyways..

take it to a turning place.. look it up in yellow pages

SiReal
21-12-2006, 10:53 AM
yeah I've decided not to do this. Don't feel it safe to be re-engineering a perfectly engineering sports shock...personally. i guess i'll have to settle for new springs from teh states.

and turbo convert - my ones drop around 2cm from normal to lower spring perch