PDA

View Full Version : Warranty RE: DIY Oil change

Woogler
18-12-2006, 09:09 AM
Does anyone know if I will void my warranty by changing my own oil... Obviously the clowns at HA will never know, technically, but I am curious. Cause $108 at the dealer is a bloody joke!!!

aaronng
18-12-2006, 09:29 AM
This is meant to be in the noob forum.

If you do your own changes and don't have your service history stamped, your engine problem could be attributed to a lack of oil change (since you don't have proof of service) and if you have leaks and stuff, they could use the excuse that the leaky components were not periodically checked during service to detect it before failure occurred.

EuroDude
18-12-2006, 09:30 AM
I believe that as long as you use the correct oil rating (10w30 I think) then it wont void the warranty.

Although when you get the car serviced at its regular intervals, you need to let them change the oil. So you can only change the oil yourself at 15,000km between the scheduled 10,000km and 20,000km service etc..

My dealer puts 5000km intervals on the small service reminder sticker, but I do it myself using Honda FEO instead of getting the dealer to do it and getting ripped off.

Woogler
18-12-2006, 09:35 AM
EURODUDE

Thx for the heads up.

AARONNG

A nube Q?, but I wouldnt consider myself as one. Just wanted a clarification of policy if anyone had been exposed to this issue yet.

aaronng
18-12-2006, 09:42 AM
AARONNG

A nube Q?, but I wouldnt consider myself as one. Just wanted a clarification of policy if anyone had been exposed to this issue yet.

Didn't say you were a noob. Just that this question is general and covers all models of cars, yet it is not technical in nature. So it's not meant to be in the Accord Euro section, nor the technical sections. It was a toss-up between the lounge and noob section. Usually, threads get lost in the lounge, so the noob section would be the best place for this.

So are you wanting to do the scheduled servicing yourself to save money? Or are you wanting to do additional oil changes in between?

I believe that as long as you use the correct oil rating (10w30 I think) then it wont void the warranty.

Although when you get the car serviced at its regular intervals, you need to let them change the oil. So you can only change the oil yourself at 15,000km between the scheduled 10,000km and 20,000km service etc..

My dealer puts 5000km intervals on the small service reminder sticker, but I do it myself using Honda FEO instead of getting the dealer to do it and getting ripped off.

This is if your vehicle is a high mileage one (5000km in 3 months).

Woogler
18-12-2006, 09:44 AM
Acknowledged.

Thanks mate.

aimre
18-12-2006, 03:03 PM
Maybe you could ask them instead of taking what you read on the internet as fact. Even though aarron and euro dude both have a decent rating, thus what they usualy say is right, if there one thing i learnt from uni, its gt your facts from more than one place

JasonGilholme
18-12-2006, 03:06 PM
Very tru aimre.

That way if you get your info from the Honda dealer you'll have a verbal agreement if they make and claims stating that you've voided your warranty ;)

Just make sure you note who you spoke to, when and where. ;)

Woogler
18-12-2006, 06:47 PM
I was just curious. I am only dropping the oil. It is already done. Anyway, there is no way they can know. I do very low Km's per 6 months and find it unrealistic to pay $108 for an oil change.

I suppose you're wondering about the 6 monthly service. The dealer said that they think I should wait till I get closer to the 10k mark (5k now 7 months old). So in the interim, I wanted to drop the oil cause it was 7 months old.

Thanks for all of your input!! The oil is out!.. It certainly needed it from its appearance and burnt smell etc....

aaronx88
21-12-2006, 11:01 AM
Hi,

You should really be servicing your car now no matter what the dealer told you since it is 10k or 6 months whichever come first. You will be voiding your warranty if you dont get it serviced! My car has done about 4k when I had it serviced at 6 months. Now the car is now about 12k but I'm due for the 40k service in 2 months.

Aaron