PDA

View Full Version : Dyno figures

dooster
18-12-2006, 08:19 PM
Hello everyone

I dont know if this topic has been posted before, if it has then please let me know where i can find info on this topic.
I am looking for an air intake system, not sure what brand is best though. I was thinking of the Mugen Air intake, K & N Typhoon cold air intake and any other brand of pipe type system cold air intake kits.
However, maybe i am not looking in the right places but it is hard to find some actual dyno graphs or figures for the air intake systems for my AP1 S2000.
Does anyone actually have the dyno graph of their cars that they have dynoed before and after installation of an air intake system?
Does anyone have their recommendations? If so then please explain your reason for choosing your particular intake system. Thanks

Dooster

ROLLED
18-12-2006, 09:04 PM
search on www.s2ki.com, it has all the info you need...

but don't bother, honestly they won't do jack all

Zilli
19-12-2006, 11:58 AM
apart from make the car sound awesome!!!

which is a plus believe me!!

AUS2k
19-12-2006, 02:04 PM
forget the brand names go to your local fabricator n get a custom one
made to fit your car he will make and install 4 u drive in n drive away
all the brand name ones i have seen have a small opening to draw air through
if u go custom u can pipe it into the bar where it will get the most cold air possible
start at the largest daimeter u can and funnel down to the throttle
this will speed up the air n act as a ram to push air in

zerospel
19-12-2006, 07:48 PM
Ive got comptech one , I chose it cos its legal, looks good and sounds good and not tooo expensive for $630 and if you purchase straight from usa probably can get for less than that

Any intake as long as it doesnt suck hot air should all be as good.

Careful with aem and injen kits ive read that you need to cut a metal panel of the car for it to fit and also possible hydrolocks

JDC5R
20-12-2006, 01:22 PM
also please remember dyno results vary depending on the ambient temperture/humidity/type of dyno etc etc.

WhiteAP1
24-12-2006, 01:32 PM
forget the brand names go to your local fabricator n get a custom one
made to fit your car he will make and install 4 u drive in n drive away
all the brand name ones i have seen have a small opening to draw air through
if u go custom u can pipe it into the bar where it will get the most cold air possible
start at the largest daimeter u can and funnel down to the throttle
this will speed up the air n act as a ram to push air in

In theory thats sounds great and would probably work well for a turbo, but certainly not a car as tempramental as the S2000. In experience i wouldnt get anything made custom, especially here in australia. The "brand name" intakes have had experienced ppl R&D and build them for optimum function. (intakes like mugen and j's racing) Getting some random guy to build u a pod on a stick really isnt a good idea. Although the opening may seem small, there built like that for the best result, with the cars areodynamics kept in mind. As mentioned many many times with intakes, they can suffer from heat soak. So any metal pipes will heat up (alot more than carbon fibre) and no matter where the pod is located, sooner or later u'll get ignition retardation. U can get heat shields and things like that but id take the product with thousands of dollars put into research and proven results than some back yard pod on a stick. Yes they are expensive, like any decent product for the S2000. Again like its been discussed many many times before, corner cutting will get u nowhere let alone any gains.

In regards to dyno results ure not gonna get a certain or straight answer. Too many variables. U could dyno ure car one day and then again a week later, by doing absolutly nothing u could gain 10kws. IMO, just like rolled said, jump on S2KI.com search intakes,(or u could search this forum) read some feedback and make ure mind up from there. Most intakes alone wont really show much (or anything) on a dyno, they mainly improve drivability and response, in conjunction with other mods done the right way.

zerospel
24-12-2006, 05:06 PM
There is someone selling Js CF intake right now for 900 i think check it out at the for sale section i think his name is F20CAP1 or sumthing liek that

I think its ok considering it comes with the carbon radiator plate thingy

AUS2k
26-12-2006, 01:05 PM
will show pics n results when its done .will be in about 2 months
got other stuff to do first.
no one said anything about a pod on a stick, white ap1
u dont have to spend 2grand on a brand name cai for it to work well.
and i dont know why ppl r afraid to cut out small brackets n put holes in the front inner skirt on s2000 u r doing it to improve the car , i dont want to go back to stock . do u ?

WhiteAP1
27-12-2006, 12:41 AM
Cuttings fine, charge speed make some nice CF brake ducts. Chasers actually cut into the quater panels to create vents, and u have to cut ure hood for the j's and mugen intake.If its in the right place and u know what ure doing cut away i say. Heat soaks a prick when it comes to the F20C, cooling would probably do more than most single bolt ons out there.

When u spoke about piping it into the bar i presumed it was simply that,a pipe into the bar. Maybe u can go into abit more detail about this custom intake, ud probably have alot of interest from other board members. I agree u dont have to spend 2 grand for an intake to "work well", the stock box works quite well.

I picked my intake up for $1600, ive seen second hand ones go for as little as $800. I can appreciate if ppl dont want to spend that sort of cash.

The way i see it people work at this sort of thing full time everyday, some with very large budgets for research. If there was a better way to make an intake im sure some one would have thought of it already in the past 7 years.
Im sure ure custom intake will work well, but i doubt it will out do the high end ones.

If u said u can save money by building a custom intake and have it perform just as good as some of the brand name ones, i would say this is possible if done by the right ppl. And more than likley it would be based on the set up and principles of the brand name intakes. Its just that In ure intial post u made it sound like anyone who pipes a pod through their bar will have a winner,and it will be better than the brand names due to their small openings. I see now its more than that :) And for the record im not so sure why ure asking if id want to go back to stock,its a little OT, but the answer is no.

Heres a pic of an S with the J's racing intake. Its "piped" to the bar and i feel opening is big enough

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/644000-644999/644805_287_full.jpghttp://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/8/web/644000-644999/644805_283_full.jpg