PDA

View Full Version : Got my custom exhaust!!!

sports06
19-12-2006, 10:19 AM
well i got it a couple of weeks ago but i have been on holidays. its a 2.5" catback with twin cannons.... looks a lot better than i hoped, tips are 3.5" and fit perfectly in the cutouts in the rear bar.... sounds really nice too, very deep tone to it and cackles just a little bit when dropping down gears when slowing down... well here are so pics, they were taken after a few beers so they are a little bit wonky lol

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/1388/dscf4059rz6.th.jpg (http://img178.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf4059rz6.jpg)

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/9676/dscf4056vu7.th.jpg (http://img243.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf4056vu7.jpg)

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/9945/dscf4058qt7.th.jpg (http://img245.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf4058qt7.jpg)

19-12-2006, 10:24 AM
How much did that set you back? How many mufflers/resonators does it have?

sports06
19-12-2006, 10:37 AM
all up cost me $800, its got 2 cannons at the rear with a resonator up near the cat

BusterSonic12
19-12-2006, 10:43 AM
can u record some sound clip for us?
is it SS ??

destrukshn
19-12-2006, 10:45 AM
for $800 you'd hope it's SS
lol.

TypeG
19-12-2006, 10:58 AM
why not pay $500 more for some branded one?

sports06
19-12-2006, 11:01 AM
how do i go about making a sound clip? haha i wouldnt have a clue!

nah its not SS, quotes i had for SS were up in the $1400, a couple of places quoted me $1200 for a non SS one! and for that i could have got a HKS or something. the cannons were $195 each then the resonator, and labour for four hours i think it was ok...

sports06
19-12-2006, 11:05 AM
why not pay $500 more for some branded one?

i was going to but im not after every little gain i can get, plus like you said, $500 more coz its a brand? nah i know they do all the testing for gains but im not too worried if i miss a couple of kW's. its not like im going to go racing my car

plus i aint rich! haha

BusterSonic12
19-12-2006, 11:15 AM
around $1000 for a buddyclub pro spec one..
can't u use a phone to record?? love to hear what it's like

aaronng
19-12-2006, 11:18 AM
phone's microphone is pretty crap.

Use a digicam, it should be able to take video.

_CiVIC_
19-12-2006, 12:32 PM
thats nice!!!

how is the noise inside the cabin? is it droning?

TypeG
19-12-2006, 12:43 PM
non-ss as well
OMG that's way over price and too much break in between
Brand one at least is SS, no power loss, bolt-on, resale value is better, quality ..............
well your car.. just that i will never ever get a custom exhuast system for this price in non-ss

mugen88
19-12-2006, 01:35 PM
Good effort as long as yr happy with it is what counts. :thumbsup:

Merlin086
19-12-2006, 02:49 PM
Excellent...................looks A1

Just hope someone doesn't unbolt it and steal it while the car is locked in the garage. Is it welded on to make sure?

adammet04
19-12-2006, 03:01 PM
awesome work mate

good to see a custom job :)

looks the goods :)

sports06
19-12-2006, 03:56 PM
non-ss as well
OMG that's way over price and too much break in between
Brand one at least is SS, no power loss, bolt-on, resale value is better, quality ..............
well your car.. just that i will never ever get a custom exhuast system for this price in non-ss

well for about 6 of the places i got quotes at it was the second lowest price, as for not being SS, its not like im going in shows, doesnt make that much difference anyway... like you said its MY car

yeah i am very happy with it, does drone a little bit just over 2K rpm, but nothing i cant handle, will probably get a little less after i have driven it for a few weeks. ill try and do a video and get the sound clip on here

tony1234
19-12-2006, 03:59 PM
well for about 6 of the places i got quotes at it was the second lowest price, as for not being SS, its not like im going in shows, doesnt make that much difference anyway... like you said its MY car
Notice any diff in performance?Low to mid?All u need are some headers.:p

sports06
19-12-2006, 04:10 PM
it seems to feel like its freed the engine up a bit like when climbing revs it does it a lot easier.... it feels like its gained a little but its hard to say with a "bum in seat" dyno.... itll be going on the dyno after i get my headers on, wont know exactly how much i have gained but ohwell

maracer
19-12-2006, 04:15 PM
Looking great:thumbsup:

TypeG
19-12-2006, 07:23 PM

yeah i am very happy with it, does drone a little bit just over 2K rpm, but nothing i cant handle, will probably get a little less after i have driven it for a few weeks. ill try and do a video and get the sound clip on here

it doesnt mean for SS is for show or whatever but the quality and how long it last for. Just want to tell some members here this price is not a good price at all and beware when they going to get themselves a system like this.

a bolt-on system in SS like this one are only go for $8XX
http://www.modproject.com.au/estore/product_info.php?products_id=70

no hard feeling but the price is not acceptable...:o

EuroAccord13
20-12-2006, 01:10 AM
What brands are those cannons?

tron07
20-12-2006, 09:54 AM
I cant stand the exhaust drone... main reason I sold my EJ1

sports06
20-12-2006, 11:45 AM
it doesnt mean for SS is for show or whatever but the quality and how long it last for. Just want to tell some members here this price is not a good price at all and beware when they going to get themselves a system like this.

a bolt-on system in SS like this one are only go for $8XX
http://www.modproject.com.au/estore/product_info.php?products_id=70

no hard feeling but the price is not acceptable...:o

isnt that bolt on a single one? not twins? anyway i dont have a problem with the price for a custom one.... and i dont plan to have the car long enough for the exhaust to rust away. ohwell :p

i cant remember what brand he said they are, i have the brochure at home so ill check it out when i get home

sendok
20-12-2006, 12:59 PM
lookin good man! how's the sound? not too loud?

TypeG
20-12-2006, 01:41 PM
isnt that bolt on a single one? not twins? anyway i dont have a problem with the price for a custom one.... and i dont plan to have the car long enough for the exhaust to rust away. ohwell :p

i cant remember what brand he said they are, i have the brochure at home so ill check it out when i get home

My bad it is $999 for the twin mufflers system:p

sports06
20-12-2006, 01:44 PM
lookin good man! how's the sound? not too loud?

nah not too loud, when its warming up it is a little loud, and from around 3k to 4.5k its sounds mean, then the CAI takes over, i gotta get someone to take it for a drive down the road so i can hear it from outside.... hope it doesnt change to much when i get the headers put on!

marcus
20-12-2006, 08:13 PM
gosh u gt it cheap mate...i pay $900 for labour inclusive of labour for my mild steel custom exhaust which include resonator, high flow cat 2.5" pipe normal bend and 4 " cannons....

ZEi20T
20-12-2006, 08:36 PM
nice exhaust mate!!

who cares if its not SS. mild isnt going to rust too quickly so who cares.

i had 3 mild exhausts on my S15 (at different times; before the comments come :P ) and none of them rusted.

TypeG
20-12-2006, 08:41 PM
nice exhaust mate!!

who cares if its not SS. mild isnt going to rust too quickly so who cares.

i had 3 mild exhausts on my S15 (at different times; before the comments come :P ) and none of them rusted.

nah man... i dun pick up whether it is SS or not but the price he pay should able to get one in SS so why not SS right?:p if u not able to get this price, this system is all good :cool:

ZEi20T
20-12-2006, 08:46 PM
well, actually you pay for quality mufflers, piping and work.

as mentioned, the SS item quoted was a single outlet, his is a dual outlet similar to the factory item. thus needing more metal and work to fabricate.

sports06
20-12-2006, 09:06 PM
either way im very happy with it! i havent used my stereo since i got it haha
just waiting on headers to arrive now! :D :D

TypeG
20-12-2006, 10:52 PM
either way im very happy with it! i havent used my stereo since i got it haha
just waiting on headers to arrive now! :D :D

what header u go for?

adammet04
21-12-2006, 08:06 AM
so what brand are the cannons?

sports06
21-12-2006, 09:43 AM
i got some of the DC sports copies, like a few people on here did the other month... havent seen anyone say they have had problems yet, so hope they go ok

the mufflers are from flowtech... never really heard of them but i got a lifetime manufacturers warranty with them so they cant be too bad, weld quality looks really good (i should know im a weld inspector :D). they look good on the car and sound sweet

TypeG
21-12-2006, 10:28 AM
i got some of the DC sports copies, like a few people on here did the other month... havent seen anyone say they have had problems yet, so hope they go ok

the mufflers are from flowtech... never really heard of them but i got a lifetime manufacturers warranty with them so they cant be too bad, weld quality looks really good (i should know im a weld inspector :D). they look good on the car and sound sweet

u should be really sad when u got the header then as I am not quite happy on the quality of the header but cant complain for 3XX header :cool: ..... and u better fix the flexpipe noise before u put them on to save some trouble.

aaronng
21-12-2006, 10:57 AM
u should be really sad when u got the header then as I am not quite happy on the quality of the header but cant complain for 3XX header :cool: ..... and u better fix the flexpipe noise before u put them on to save some trouble.

What problems did you find with the header other than the flex pipe?

Atjo
21-12-2006, 11:07 AM
If you don't really care about the hissing sound then you don't have any problem with the SS header :)

TypeG
21-12-2006, 11:16 AM
What problems did you find with the header other than the flex pipe?

For me, i find the quality build is quite bad, weld is quite disappointed even compare to Xforce brand and need port and the joint are not that good too. I shouldnt ever own JDM header on my previous car :p and now I think this is a POS :( . It is okay for just for fun but not for max. the kw.

Atjo
21-12-2006, 11:43 AM
For me, i find the quality build is quite bad, weld is quite disappointed even compare to Xforce brand and need port and the joint are not that good too. I shouldnt ever own JDM header on my previous car :p and now I think this is a POS :( . It is okay for just for fun but not for max. the kw.
I think your header is same as andrew cause he needed to modify the header to fit properly, mine didn't need any modification & all fit perfectly, that's what kitbkk said when he installed mine.

panda[cRx]
21-12-2006, 12:17 PM
looks sweet mate

TypeG
21-12-2006, 12:44 PM
I think your header is same as andrew cause he needed to modify the header to fit properly, mine didn't need any modification & all fit perfectly, that's what kitbkk said when he installed mine.

not the fittment issue as mine is straight fit as well. I mean the header itself...

sports06
21-12-2006, 07:05 PM
hmm well maybe ill cancel the order.... i havent paid for it so might be able to get out of it. if i didnt get that one i was going to get the comptech one from tsxparts.com if not ill just have to fix the flex pipe like you said... i got the same hissing noise on my XR6, so i know what you are talking about, and i dont really want it on the euro... thanks for the info on that typeG!

TypeG
21-12-2006, 09:57 PM
hmm well maybe ill cancel the order.... i havent paid for it so might be able to get out of it. if i didnt get that one i was going to get the comptech one from tsxparts.com if not ill just have to fix the flex pipe like you said... i got the same hissing noise on my XR6, so i know what you are talking about, and i dont really want it on the euro... thanks for the info on that typeG!

yeah get comptech, i think they have better quality on all aspects. Not sure the wierd sound tho.

teaseR
22-12-2006, 10:37 AM
so would a flex pipe fix the hissing noise?

EuroAccord13
22-12-2006, 11:53 AM
so would a flex pipe fix the hissing noise?

The right one will...

teaseR
22-12-2006, 04:11 PM
and what is the right one?

akira
23-12-2006, 12:42 PM
nice work! now some nice rims and dump it...and it will look hot!

sports06
25-12-2006, 10:51 AM
yeah coilovers will be next after headers, then rims wont happen till the tyres on there are gone..... and when $$$ flow permits!!!

Ronin 09
02-01-2007, 10:14 PM
looks great!
I would like something like that on my euro...
In terms of mild steel - I have a Trust 4" race exhaust on my GTR in mild steel and there are no signs of rust at all - had it for 2 years!
Something to note as well - mild steel sounds deeper as the heaver piping damps the vibrations a bit better than the lighter thinner stainless steel. Compare this to a titanium exhaust which won't sound as bassy - rather 'tinnier' with a much meaner rasp.
I actually prefer the sound of a mild steel system! (that is because I can't afford a ti system!)

aaronng
02-01-2007, 10:20 PM
^^ That's a very good point. Most of us forget that the thickness of the exhaust wall also plays a part in the exhaust sound characteristics.