PDA

View Full Version : legal light limit

dannybubu
19-12-2006, 05:55 PM
just wondering what the legal brightness of the HID's would be? all i know is that it can only be white or blueish lights...not even sure if that's true...

aaronng
19-12-2006, 06:07 PM
Don't think there is a limit to brightness. You must have a cutoff line so that you don't blind oncoming traffic, and the colour has to be "white". I don't think that there is a statement on the approved colour temperature. If cops think that your white is bluish, then they can still defect you.

saxman
19-12-2006, 06:13 PM
not legal in your civic, period

aaronng
19-12-2006, 06:17 PM
^^, yes to be legal you need autolevellers and headlight washers, both of which are not available on the 06 Civic.

Q_ball
19-12-2006, 06:21 PM
HIDs arent legal in any car that dont come stock with them.

saxman
19-12-2006, 06:21 PM
and sadly, retrofitting these items on still doesn't qualify as they're not approved for use on that vehicle.

RMN15N
19-12-2006, 06:32 PM
all what is said above is true, unlike aarons euro, civics dont come with HID's equiped standard..
so replacing the OEM lights with HID's no matter what is a defect,
unless they are under the limit of watts that is set.. which it wont be.

**sigh.. nearly everything you do to ur car is illegal these days..

EuroDude
19-12-2006, 06:34 PM
If you set it all up properly with autolevelers etc.. can you get an engineers certificate?

Q_ball
19-12-2006, 06:35 PM
Pay enough, and u can get almost everything engineered!

aaronng
19-12-2006, 06:41 PM
HIDs arent legal in any car that dont come stock with them.

ADR (46/xx) states that HID lighting MUST come with autolevellers and headlight washers. If the car is imported without these 2 devices, it must be converted back to halogen. If a car is equipped with halogens, then you must have autolevellers and washers retrofitted if you want to have street-legal HIDs.

all what is said above is true, unlike aarons euro, civics dont come with HID's equiped standard..
so replacing the OEM lights with HID's no matter what is a defect,
unless they are under the limit of watts that is set.. which it wont be.

**sigh.. nearly everything you do to ur car is illegal these days..

Even with my car, it doesn't have autolevellers and washers. So if I were to put in a HID conversion kit, I'd also be doing it illegally.

RMN15N
19-12-2006, 07:05 PM
ADR (46/xx) states that HID lighting MUST come with autolevellers and headlight washers. If the car is imported without these 2 devices, it must be converted back to halogen. If a car is equipped with halogens, then you must have autolevellers and washers retrofitted if you want to have street-legal HIDs.

Even with my car, it doesn't have autolevellers and washers. So if I were to put in a HID conversion kit, I'd also be doing it illegally.

i dont see the point of it tho,
because honestly, u've never seen a euro when the sun is setting from far away?? its like a fricken commet flying at you haha.!
we'll ppl just call the euro, mirc's, bmw's (i know its not HID's) standard HID's
you get what i mean.

denot
20-12-2006, 02:18 PM
Weird thing is... it seems that not many ppl got pull over by the "poopoo" becoz they use HID on their car (i got a friend who has been through random breath testing, etc with a 12k HID kit on and yet, not a single "mate, i think that's illegal" line from the policemen)

aaronng
20-12-2006, 03:28 PM
Weird thing is... it seems that not many ppl got pull over by the "poopoo" becoz they use HID on their car (i got a friend who has been through random breath testing, etc with a 12k HID kit on and yet, not a single "mate, i think that's illegal" line from the policemen)
Cops don't know how to check for autolevellers and washers. But inpection place know how to check. So watch out if you have to do a full inspection.

denot
20-12-2006, 03:31 PM
Cops don't know how to check for autolevellers and washers. But inpection place know how to check. So watch out if you have to do a full inspection.

ah... IC... so befor ethe full inspection, I have to uninstall the kit and put the original bulb on? :P

dannybubu
20-12-2006, 04:03 PM
lol
....so pretty much they're illegal...sucks....but that's life...who cares...still getting them..lol

Bayani
20-12-2006, 04:24 PM
Now promise not to complain about it when you get defected. ;)

TypeRice
21-12-2006, 03:10 AM
but i heard HID's were legal...

god dammit

i take it that every mod is illegal from now on...

dannybubu
21-12-2006, 08:26 AM
uh huh...pretty much everything is illegal...which is quite GAY!!

destrukshn
21-12-2006, 09:19 AM
shit happens.
but don't bitch about it if you get done for em.
lol.
but if you decide to bitch about it, do it the spam thread like i do.
lol.

TypeRice
21-12-2006, 11:10 AM
but cops have never said anything about my blueish/white light... =)

bankids
21-12-2006, 11:07 PM
setup ur cut line properly, hide the ballast into your bumper, as long as you have a projector headlight, they won't find you any trouble..

saxman
22-12-2006, 02:10 AM
this is assuming you're using an hid designed projector... the cheap ebay projector headlights tend to throw off a lot of glare and such when an hid kit is used.

bankids
22-12-2006, 03:14 PM
yep u'r right but e.g. the r32 skyline's projector still does the good job..

for the hid designed projectors you can mainly pu hid's on with no worry.

last time i drove an evo 8 to the pits, when i turned on the light the inspector can't even see my light. coz the perfect cut line just cut all the glare above the cutline..

GReY_CVC
29-12-2006, 12:35 PM
just dont be a hoon and you should be allright..... !!! :P