PDA

View Full Version : Splits Install -> Accord

Bol
08-06-2004, 06:56 PM
Last night i planned to install my speakers but it proved to be a bigger job than i had planned. I believe that i now have the mounting issues worked out, but i am unsure about the wiring.

Is there a crossover? Where do the tweeter and mid wires meet?

Basically, i cannot find where the speaker wire is. There are hundreds of wires and they are all tightly cased. So does anyone have advice or tips?

toE
08-06-2004, 11:33 PM
u cant find the pseaker wires going to the stock speaker??

if dat's the case, open ur door. look at the hinges area. there will be some wires coming out of the side somewhere along there. that's where the wires are routed.

hope dat helps.

poid
09-06-2004, 09:45 AM
i dont think anyone bothers with the stock tweeter, i'm not sure were the wires are run for it as i installed splits pretty much the day i bought it and havent had to worry

Calvo
09-06-2004, 09:58 AM
i just lifted them out of the stock slots, snipped the wire and electrical taped the wire up just in case. then put em back in the holes so doesnt have a hole showing on my dash.

h22a accord
09-06-2004, 02:01 PM
i did what calvo did and ran the new wires for the tweeters from a cross over i mounted in the kick panels. I also unscrewed the stock tweeter from the little grilles and screwed the new tweeters in the same way as the old ones were. perfect fit.

cam.

Bol
09-06-2004, 05:01 PM
OK, sorry about the 1st post i was rushed and just pasted something i wrote on another forum...

I can get to the mid and the tweeter on either door quite easily, and i understand for the wiring that i can just cut the connector off and replace it with the new speaker. And i also want to mount the new crossover in the kick panel.

So, from the crossover (in the kick panel) i want the tweeter close to it and i want the mid to be in the door. The problem is that i cannot follow the wires of the stock speakers back to the HU.

There are 2 speakers, 4 wires. Eventually they have to go into 2 in order to go in the HU, so where do they meet?

It's just that when i search for the mid speaker wire, i get lost with all the other wires there. and cannot find the point where i want to insert the crossover and run the new tweeter.

Have i made any sense? Just ask if you have nfi.

h22a accord
09-06-2004, 05:59 PM
disregard my last post, i had a think about wot i did ( i couldnt remember clearly then but now i remember what i did exactly)

*******Remember, the factory splits to not have cross overs, the tweeter has a resistor thingy that filters out the low frequencys. *******

okay, what i did was is i found the stock tweeter speaker wire and followed it down to where it goes into the door.

Then i cut that wire ( one that runs to tweeter) as this wire is also connected to the speaker in the door. I put my new speaker in the door and connected it as usual, i then plugged the old tweeter wire ( the one that goes into the door) into the low pass of the crossover, so, now i had the woofer hooked up correctly, then i mounted the tweeter and ran new wiring ( wiring that came with the tweeter) down in the dash to the high pass of the cross over. then ran the wiring that came with the cross over under the carpet up under the dash and into the HU. I mounted the cross overs behind the kick panels with some double sided tape.

Did this for both sides and it worked perfect.

Anyway, since then i amped them so I cut the speaker wires that connected the speakers to the head unit and ran new wiring down along the door scuff plates under the carpet on the ***DRIVERS SIDE *** from the amp to the existing front speaker wire. then ran wires directly from amp to rear speakers.

I have my amp mounted on the rear of the back seat with all the wires facing the bottom where they go straight under the back seat to there various places.

Also got some 4 guage power lead running from amp down the ****PASSENGER SIDE****** and into the engine bay through a factory grommet hole and up through a fuse and to my battery.

Then i have some 4 guage ground lead from my amp to under the back seat where it is bolted to the floor ( scrapped the paint off where it sits for a good ground)

i have a 4 channel jaycar response amp, hooked up in parallel for 2 of the channels running all 4 speakers and the other 2 channels are bridged running a pioneer 800w sub. This amp puts out over over 125wrms per channel in non briged mode while the engine is running and it quite sufficient, i only have the gains turned up 2 thirds.

this is my 3rd sub, had it for a year now. before that i had two 500 watt subs- a sony explod and an mtx thunder, this amp smoked them both.

My speakers are only 170watt so they are loud and have good sound quality- they werent the most expensive but they are kenwoods splits and cost $350 bucks, sure, i could spend more but for what they are, they do the job and im happy with them. the rears are kenwood 170watt 2 way 6x9, i went 2 way cos i figured there would be less treble in the back ( which is what i wanted) than if i got 3 or 4 ways. these cost me $150 bucks

hehe, i went to strathfeild and got some CD-RWs for 39 cent each to put some mp3's on, lucky for me, my HU is MP3 and CD-RW compatible. :P

Anyone else here notice that their rear aerial vibrates like a mofo when there is bass?

toE
09-06-2004, 06:00 PM
just route it somwhere else...u dont have to follow the original route of the stock wires. if i recall properly, i just route mine so dat it hides away and err...behind the carpet. am i answering your q?? :)

Bol
09-06-2004, 06:03 PM
Okay, well thats a pretty similar setup to what i eventually want to have.

So when you followed the tweeter wire from the stock location, how did you get to it? Did you have to take any of the dash off? Or could you just get to it from above where your feet would normally be.

toE
09-06-2004, 06:04 PM
Anyone else here notice that their rear aerial vibrates like a mofo when there is bass?

yer...i noticed dat too, but apparently it's not the aerial. If you pull the trim away from where the location of the aerial is, just below on the wall of the rear fender, u'll c wat looks like a wind deflector thingie. it's this thingie dat's flapping around like mad making "rattling" noises. i felt it and it kinda feels like a thin rubber component. i just added some polystyrene foam to prevent it from flapping and it worked.

Bol
09-06-2004, 06:05 PM
toE, i want to keep the stock wire from the crossover to the mid bass because i think it will be too hard to get another wire from the door to the crossover through that black tube... unless it isnt as hard as i thought?

toE
09-06-2004, 06:06 PM
aah..fair enuff. i din do it dat way..so can't help you unfortunately. :(

h22a accord
09-06-2004, 06:14 PM
toE, i want to keep the stock wire from the crossover to the mid bass because i think it will be too hard to get another wire from the door to the crossover through that black tube... unless it isnt as hard as i thought?

yeh, i looked at the black tube and thought " ferk that shit" and did it my way instead :P

Bol
09-06-2004, 06:16 PM
haha yeah. Thanks for the writeup ^^, it will be handy when i can get an amp :)

So regarding the tweeter wire, did you have to take the dash apart in order to follow it to where it meets the mid wire, or could you just look up under the dash?

toE
09-06-2004, 11:37 PM
i reckon u could just look at it from unda d dash...wif a torchlight of course ;)...dun be scared to get upside down and look behind the dash and pedals and get ur fren to take a pic of u doing it :P

h22a accord
10-06-2004, 08:27 AM
haha yeah. Thanks for the writeup ^^, it will be handy when i can get an amp :)

So regarding the tweeter wire, did you have to take the dash apart in order to follow it to where it meets the mid wire, or could you just look up under the dash?

Just looked up under the dash, there is enough room to get a hand up there to where ever needed.

Bol
10-06-2004, 06:01 PM
Okay, i'm looking at the damn this now and for the life of me i cannot follow the tweeter wire anywhere.

It is red (with green), brown (with black). I see it go into the tweeter hole and dissapear. I cannot trace it a) because there is tonnes of stuff in the way, b) because the hole is too small to see where it goes.

When i look up the passengers side, throgh the dah, i cannot see and wires with the stated colours. There are many OTHER wires connected in various places, but i cant find the speaker ones.

What can i do???

I would post pics, but i cant find the camera :@

Bol
11-06-2004, 05:30 PM
bump

h22a accord
11-06-2004, 06:04 PM
Okay, i'm looking at the damn this now and for the life of me i cannot follow the tweeter wire anywhere.

It is red (with green), brown (with black). I see it go into the tweeter hole and dissapear. I cannot trace it a) because there is tonnes of stuff in the way, b) because the hole is too small to see where it goes.

When i look up the passengers side, throgh the dah, i cannot see and wires with the stated colours. There are many OTHER wires connected in various places, but i cant find the speaker ones.

What can i do???

I would post pics, but i cant find the camera :@

pull the tweeter out of the top of the dash, shove a torch in there, look up from under the dash and follow the wire down, , cut it where ever you like, ( just remember that where ever you cut it is where you have to join another wire to.)

We both have the same car, i had to think about it b4 i did it, you have the luxury of someone else telling you what to do. Dude, just do it. :P

Bol
12-06-2004, 08:08 AM
Yeah, i know what you are saying... ive tried almost everything to see where it goes.

Ill have another go later today but if i cant work it out, i think i have a solution. That is, take the HU out, find the front speaker wires and cut them, run 1 end to the crossover and then bring it back to the HU. Same concept, but inserting the crossover near the HU rather than the tweeter wire. And if i take the stock tweeter out then no power will reach there and it should be fine... still, id like to do it the proper way.